Great cycling awareness video

This video made me laugh.

out of shape
    i didnt notice it the 3rd time
    doylestown pa
    SS cannondale F6

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bump. I was just pointed to these videos. I failed both the original and new tests. Nice to see a campaign like this.

I Have Cookies
    I like the "bear" cute!!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

No-Brakes Cougar
    WTF.... Good point, but I think the examples are a bit of a stretch.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

LCI #1853
    Sigh... the "dancing bear" video again...

Please bear with me... as one of my teachers made plain to me:

First, you are smarter than the average bear. So, please don't be like the bear.

The dancing bear experiment is clever, indeed, in showing how people can be misled, but is itself misleading. The dancing bear is slipped as an unexpected element into the midst of an orderly and societally understood pattern, the passing of the soccer ball among several players. The experiment cleverly misleads the viewer, concealing the bear, but is also misleading on another level, in suggesting that such concealment is the norm. It is also misleading in that both the viewer and the dancing bear are passive. There is no actual interaction possible between them, as, after all, the experiment is canned.

Riding a bicycle on the road (or trail, since this is an MTB forum) according to the orderly and societally understood rules of the road is like passing the soccer ball. Riding as a 'road sneak" is like being the dancing bear.

So, don't be the bear. Follow the rules of the road, and ride to be visible. Test that other road users have seen you, using assertive/defensive road positioning and continued forward movement that requires a reaction from the other road users, up to the point where you would have to yield if they don't.

Be visible. Position yourself where other road users are expecting to see traffic, and make yourself stand out from the background and other visual noise on the roadway. Be predictable... signal and communicate with other road users so that they'll have an idea of what you're fixing to do.

A bicyclist who violates the rules of the road and operates passively, will get into "dancing bear" situations much, much more frequently than one who obeys the rules of the road, rides to be seen and interacts with other road users to test their reactions.

The good lesson of the dancing bear experiment is that it is possible for road users to become distracted, even from things which are in their plain sight. The bad lesson, as this experiment is commonly being used in connection with traffic operation, is that it finishes with an essentially fatalistic message, "think of yourself as a victim." It has nothing at all to say about how to avoid being one.

Yes, bears can be taught to ride bicycles. But again, you are smarter than the average bear.

And those are the bare facts as I see them.
    Ride a mountain bike... you will not regret it if you live.
    (with apologies to Mark Twain & The Taming of the Bicycle)

I Have Cookies
    intresting summary with lots of insite!!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PscyclePath
    Riding a bicycle on the road (or trail, since this is an MTB forum) according to the orderly and societally understood rules of the road is like passing the soccer ball. Riding as a 'road sneak" is like being the dancing bear.
    Incorrect. From the motorist's perspective the bicycle will always be a dancing bear, an element that does not belong, and thus not something they are used to looking for and processing on the roadway. The video is not about addressing proper cycling safety and riding, but to address the actual problem, motorists' lack of awareness to all road users. They are not trained to look for the bear.

Members who have read this thread: 0