Gravity G29 upgrading to hydraulic brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Gravity G29 upgrading to hydraulic brakes

I want to upgrade my steel wire brakes on my Gravity G29 to hydraulic brakes. How do I determine if they will fit/be compatible with the bike mounting points at the handlebars and at the wheel?

Will this work?

Shimano Bicycle Hydraulic Disc Brake Set Front and Rear White BR BL M355 | eBay

I'd rather be on my bike
    Those will fit, however, they are set up "moto" style, according to the notes in the auction. Right lever controls the front brake. I know people who run their brakes this way, however, in the US it is not the normal setup. I have the front brake on my fixed gear on the left on both bikes.

Also, the hosing may be too long or possibly too short for your bike depending on the size. An LBS should be able to redo or cut a hose if needed for not too much green. Also looks like it is missing a front adapter. Not sure if your current set up will work with it or not. What brakes on your G29 right now?
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You can find the specs here. I did not change anything brakes-related.

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes

I'd rather be on my bike
    Are the mechanical disc brakes not working well for you? Some of those can be dialed in to work as good or better than some hydraulic discs.

since 4/10/2009
    Tektro Novelas are kinda meh brakes.

As for what's posted, yeah, they're not quite a "common" setup.

I refuse to buy anything on ebay from a seller based overseas. There's a LOT of counterfeit product moving through ebay these days. These have me skeptical. I can't say I recall seeing ANYTHING Shimano makes in white. Doing some searching, I can't find white ones anywhere except ebay or aliexpress, either. Neither source I consider for legit brand name product, necessarily.

I'd pass on these.

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ good point!!! I know that Juicy makes brakes in white, but didn't think about them being Shimano, or at least Shimano knock offs. I am with harold on the whole buying oversears. I see several nice stems and other bike parts, and they all ship from Taiwan, and I immediately think fake!!! If they are or not is a different story. I am using eBay less and less these days.

mtbr member
    Those are the Altus level brakes, BR-M355 and BL-M355. They're OEM parts and entry level equipment. They'll work fine, but not much better than a properly set up mechanical brake.

As for hardware, you'll need to know the rotor size and get the corresponding IS adapter. This particular auction, the rear brake has a Type 2 adapter, for 160mm rotors, and the front brake is post-mount for 160mm. This does not come with an adapter and will fit a 160mm post mount fork. If your fork isn't 160mm post mount you'll need an adapter as well.

If you buy these brakes from an authorized Shimano dealer, they come with a 2 year warranty. Just something to think about when buying from ebay. Buying these brakes from an LBS will only cost about 50% more and you'll get the warranty and proper installation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I can't say I recall seeing ANYTHING Shimano makes in white. Doing some searching, I can't find white ones anywhere except ebay or aliexpress, either.
    My Cube came with white Shimano components. Shimano makes a lot of white brakes, pedals, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Those are the Altus level brakes, BR-M355 and BL-M355. They're OEM parts and entry level equipment. They'll work fine, but not much better than a properly set up mechanical brake.
    I have Shimano M395 brakes on one bike, and Tektro Aurigas on a couple others. The Shimanos are waaaay easier to bleed, and they tend not to rub. The Tektros are a constant headache (rubbing, bleeding) so much so that I've already bought Shimano brakes (via eBay!) to replace the Tektros.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer74 View Post
    My Cube came with white Shimano components. Shimano makes a lot of white brakes, pedals, etc.
    Pedals, okay. But I've not even seen the white OEM brake/drivetrain stuff. I'd buy that they sell some white OEM product, but they don't show any of that stuff as options on their website. The only color options I've seen there are black or silver.

So the ebay/alibaba stuff MIGHT be grey market OEM stuff. The first and last parts I ordered new from ebay were some Avid BB7 brakes. The rotors, at least, are counterfeit. No clue about the calipers. I'm not doing that again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Pedals, okay. But I've not even seen the white OEM brake/drivetrain stuff. I'd buy that they sell some white OEM product, but they don't show any of that stuff as options on their website.
    Regardless, it's out there. The vendors on eBay have hundreds of units over years, and it's for sale on foreign Amazon sites, too... I know that not everything on eBay or Amazon is legit, but they would both shut down counterfeiters, sooner or later.

So the ebay/alibaba stuff MIGHT be grey market OEM stuff... I'm not doing that again.
    Buyer beware... I wouldn't buy from a vendor who doesn't have lots of positive feedback, and I would closely inspect anything I bought.

If it's counterfeit, or somehow not right, then eBay and PayPal will make it right...

I'd rather be on my bike
    I don't know that I would feel comfortable installing brakes on a bike that are possibly counterfeit. That is just me being me, but for something that is going to possibly save my life and allow me to stop my bike, I want the real deal.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer74 View Post
    Regardless, it's out there. The vendors on eBay have hundreds of units over years, and it's for sale on foreign Amazon sites, too... I know that not everything on eBay or Amazon is legit, but they would both shut down counterfeiters, sooner or later.

Buyer beware... I wouldn't buy from a vendor who doesn't have lots of positive feedback, and I would closely inspect anything I bought.

If it's counterfeit, or somehow not right, then eBay and PayPal will make it right...
    I bought from a seller who had THOUSANDS of positive comments over many years. It was not obvious to me at first that anything was amiss. But sometime later I began reading a rather long-running thread about ebay-purchased bb7 brakes and folks had been posting pics and citing reasons why they believed they had been sold counterfeits. Sure enough, my rotors matched the shady ones in the pics. If you look closely on mine, the machining isn't quite right, and the logos/text stamped on them are definitely not right.

ebay no longer offers the ability to leave negative feedback except in very rare cases, so the feedback thing really isn't all that informative. I don't even remember which seller I purchased from anymore, it was years ago. But, counterfeits are RAMPANT on that site. They just fly under the radar. I saw someone post a link to some $15 helmets with a well-known brand name on them (don't remember which). No f'n way they were legit. They were "supposed" to be a $100+ helmet. Screams counterfeit.