Bicycle to Work: U.S. Cities Map

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Alaska made the MAP, yay!

mtbr member
    Nice, the city I work in is on there:

Framingham, MA
    2011: .2%
    2005: .56%

That's embarrassing, but not surprising.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm... the 1.6%?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Looks right to me...I see maybe 1-3 other people commuting in a given week, and it's usually when I'm off work (ie: going in a different direction).

weirdo
    Cool!
    My town got a much higher percentage than I would have expected, but it went down slightly from 06 tp 11. Anybody else`s drop? I didn`t see any others.

And a whopping 16.6 for Davis, CA!

Moderator Moderator
    VT is one of the few states without even a blue dot

mtbr member
    My "city" doesn't even register.

Still want a fat bike....
    Yeah, the city that I commute TO is on there, but not the one I commute FROM. Hmmm
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    My "city" doesn't even register.
    Nor mine, or the one I moved from. Invisible on the road, invisible in the stats. There is safety in numbers, so we are the few, the brave, the counter-culture commuters. About 0.1% of workers is my estimate for my locale.

BrianMc

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    VT is one of the few states without even a blue dot
    Which makes no sense since Vermont was #1 by a huge margin in the National Bike Challenge.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Maybe we were too busy pedaling to and from work to complete the census form. Sadly, most of those bike challenge riders donít commute all year.

I actually do remember that question in the census, but I don't remember if I followed their instructions, which would have counted me as a public transit commuter, not a bike commuter, since I typically did 15 mi RT on the bike and 29 mi RT on the bus. I think I ignored the instructions so I would be counted as a bike commuter.

since 4/10/2009
    nowhere within 100mi of me is on that map.

A couple of surprises, at least to me.

A number of midwestern cities have pretty big circles. A couple in IN, MI, IA. Those are places I don't associate with bikes so much. With as much as I hear about Minneapolis being a bike friendly city, its' commute levels are lower than I expected. Chicago is smaller than I expected. I have some friends there and they all are at least part time bike commuters. I am also surprised that Austin, TX does not have a higher ratio. Sorta surprised that FL has a couple big circles, too. It would be nice to commute in the wintertime there, but like here in TX, I'd not be thrilled to commute in the summer.

I do notice a strong association with large universities with many of the big circles, which does not surprise me, but surprised that some areas also with big universities have small circles or none at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    nowhere within 100mi of me is on that map.

A couple of surprises, at least to me.

A number of midwestern cities have pretty big circles. A couple in IN, MI, IA. Those are places I don't associate with bikes so much. ... I do notice a strong association with large universities with many of the big circles, which does not surprise me, but surprised that some areas also with big universities have small circles or none at all.
    Those large Midwest circles are associated with Big Ten Schools or Ball State (Muncie). Champaign-Urbana is low because they have so much dorm capacity in walking distance. So I think that contributes to the mediocre numbers there. While profs and staff might ride in those towns, I would expect a large under 20 and 20-30 percentage. So we can add that MTBR commuting forum likely isn't a frequent read for most, given the poll on ages of those using the forum. Cyclists, but no vid cyclists, is my take.

BrianMc

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Those large Midwest circles are associated with Big Ten Schools or Ball State (Muncie). Champaign-Urbana is low because they have so much dorm capacity in walking distance. So I think that contributes to the mediocre numbers there. While profs and staff might ride in those towns, I would expect a large under 20 and 20-30 percentage. So we can add that MTBR commuting forum likely isn't a frequent read for most, given the poll on ages of those using the forum. Cyclists, but no vid cyclists, is my take.

BrianMc
    Yeah, that's part of it. But West Lafayette and East Lansing don't even appear on that map...towns associated with a couple other large Big 10 schools. I lived near East Lansing for awhile while my wife finished school at MSU and there are some hard core winter bike commuters there.

And where I live now has a pretty substantial population of bike commuters. Quite a lot for a town in TX. The university is a big part...I occasionally catch the assistant dean of my college bike commuting and I know some other profs who do. But a lot of the students ride and there are a lot of low income bike commuters outside the university.

I suspect that the sampling done for this map is the primary culprit of that disparity. For so many areas to be completely absent from the map, when there's a measurable population of bike commuters is the only explanation.

mtbr member
    ^ Yes sampling is an issue. Since it appears to be, then the lumping Lafayette and West Lafayette together is also a possibility.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Smaller towns that are probably some of the highest are not sampled, unfortunately. For example, Durango, CO. is not on the map but would certainly be up there.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Davis @ 16.6%... that's one out of 6. Amazing.

weirdo
    ^^Yeah, it really is impressive. I don`t want to knock their record, but consider it`s one of those university-heavy communities, enjoys mild weather most of the year (a bit hot in the summers), flat as a pancake, and has extensive bike paths. Still doin good, though.

Members who have read this thread: 0