GPS tracker for commuting?- Mtbr.com
    Na
    Aug 2018

New question here. GPS tracker for commuting?

I will be commuting in a large city "Lafayette/West Lafayette, Indiana." in 2 months. Theft is well known here. Is/are there any type of small gps tracker that can be inserted into the handle bars where as if the bike gets stolen it can be tracked immediately?

I do know dewalt tools makes a small gps tracker for tools itself I seen at home depot. Anything like this for bikes and or any suggestions?

I will be double locking my bike when going into a place.

I will be using this for back or front depending on the bike lock rack and
    GPS tracker for commuting?-oeqrvvk.jpg

I need to pick up a anti cut lock cable but I am taking all precautions and steps to keep my furture bike from theft. So, as a counter measure, I'd like to get a gps tracker with android software for a smartphone to track right away after/before calling police.

Na
    Aug 2018
    Ok, a cable lock is a very bad idea, from reading this.
    Who's trying to steal your bike (and what tools are they using)? | The Best Bike Lock

mtbr member
    Any lock can be defeated, a good u-lock or a hardened chain is probably best. Cables are good as supplemental locks to tie up wheels, bags, etc.

If you're commuting in a big city and have to leave your bike locked outside a beater bike is in order, something out of fashion with scuffed up paint, no decals, but otherwise solid will work well. Save the nice bike for weekends.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Moderator Moderator
    We used some trackers at work, I think they were the Tiles. https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/ I don't know all the pluses and minuses, but one to consider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You also might want to consider a new U-lock, that looks like an old style cylindrical key lock, which is susceptible to the "Bic pen" trick. I've done the trick myself and it does indeed work, although I haven't been able to reliably do it to all cylinder key locks.

Na
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    You also might want to consider a new U-lock, that looks like an old style cylindrical key lock, which is susceptible to the "Bic pen" trick. I've done the trick myself and it does indeed work, although I haven't been able to reliably do it to all cylinder key locks.
    Yrah, i figured it was outdated. Got it back in 1998 or so or maybe even earlier.

Ima go for this.

https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Yo...G?ref=ast_p_ep

jrm
    mtbr member
    spend a couple of minutes scoping out were you can park and what levels of security each provides beforehand. Chances are there are more secure place to look up that may not known. Do a commute dry run. Also, best set up is two u locks but remember that the larger the loop the easier it is to get a saw in between the lock and the frame. Next is a u lock and cable, using the u lock on the more expensive wheel and the cable on the cheaper one.

mtbr member
    Good u-locks are super heavy, if you commute to the same place every day consider leaving them locked to the rack where you park it.
    I brake for stinkbugs