GPS tracker app to let your family know where you are- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

GPS tracker app to let your family know where you are

I know this came up awhile ago in the commuting section, but I can't seem to find the old thread.

But does anyone use an app to let people check-in on them during commutes or rides? Occasionally my 45min commutes become 1 1/2 hours, or my 2 hour weekend rides stretch to 4, and if my wife is worried I'd like her to be able to see that I'm not in a ditch somewhere (or that I am in a ditch somewhere)

Glympse seems to be the one that the internets are pointing me towards, but just wondering if anyone else has recommendations?

Rent this space for $
    RoadID (RoadID.com) has a free app for iOS and Android that allows you to include up to 5 different contacts to notify that you've begun a ride, track your ride 'real-time', and notify when you are finished. It also has a 5 minute countdown timer that starts when you become stationary. You get 60 seconds of alarm to cancel or it notifies your contacts that you have stopped and have not responded to the warning. It also allows you to set a total ride time and alerts if you exceed that without shutting the timer off.

I use this everytime I mtb ride solo...which is 90% of the time I ride. I run it alongside Strava on my Android. Works very well.

Sam Adams Fan
    Waze app on Apple iOS or android

mtbr member
    Thanks for this thread. My wife worries (too much) but not without some reason.

mtbr member
    Garmin live track has a habit of telling my wife I am lying in a ditch whether I am actually in the ditch or not. Avoid for now. Endomondo worked good back in the day but they may want money now for this function.

Sent from my BB10 with Taptalk.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Moderator Moderator

Bedwards Of The West
    You can use the "find my iPhone" preloaded app for this if you have an iPhone... just have to have the location services switched on on the phone, and whoever is logging in on the computer will need your apple ID.
    iCloud - Find My iPhone, iPad, and Mac. - Apple
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by DG40 View Post
    Waze app on Apple iOS or android
    For consideration, Waze absolutely sucks the power out of your phone. I'm somewhat new to the app but use it all the time now and like it for driving. If I'm not tethered to power in my car when it's on, my battery on my S5 Galaxy is reduced to about 1/3 of a days normal drain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    You can use the "find my iPhone" preloaded app for this if you have an iPhone...
    Thanks. I'm not part of the iCult, but now I know that android has something similar.

mtbr member
    Thanks from me too for this thread. Will try the apps the next time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    RoadID (RoadID.com) has a free app for iOS and Android that allows you to include up to 5 different contacts to notify that you've begun a ride, track your ride 'real-time', and notify when you are finished. It also has a 5 minute countdown timer that starts when you become stationary. You get 60 seconds of alarm to cancel or it notifies your contacts that you have stopped and have not responded to the warning. It also allows you to set a total ride time and alerts if you exceed that without shutting the timer off.

I use this everytime I mtb ride solo...which is 90% of the time I ride. I run it alongside Strava on my Android. Works very well.
    EXACTLY.

The app is so handy and FREE.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I use two things for this:

On Google+ there is a location setting thing where I can see where my wife is and she can see where I am. This updates kind of slowly and not of any real use for real time tracking. It can be up to 15 minutes off.

When I ride, I use Endomondo to track my rides. I set my wife up with an Endomondo account and gave her permissions to see my workouts live. So she can track my progress when I ride.

I don't think in the 2 years we have had this set up she has used it once to track where I was on the bike even if I was late to return. (I'm not sure she loves me any more. :-( )

All kidding aside, there are way to track where you are. I would hit up a site like www.androidcentrial.com, check out the forums and ask your questions there.

Good luck!

CB of the East
    My wife and I use the Google+ location feature too. The best thing about it is that it is always on. I don't use the phone to track my rides so remembering to turn the feature on or off is a non-starter for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I tell her I'm on my bike. She can always call or text.

guy
    I use RoadID also

mtbr member
    May 2009
    +another for RoadID. Yes here are others that are non cycling, but it is simple and works well.