Got a new free bike!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Got a new free bike!!!

so today i was talking to someone in my micro biology class that had noticed i rode mountain bikes earlier in the week. and she told me her husband had an old trek that was in a house fire and that i could have it for free so i was excited! so i went and picked it up and its pretty rough pretty much the only thing that works on it are the brakes and the front derailler. but i was wanting to turn it into a commuter maybe some road wheels and tires and a new drivetrain i was thinking about polishing it up because it still looks ok (frame-wise) but everything else is rough lol.
    can anyone point me out some good budget (cheap) commuting drivetrain parts that would work on a 1992 Trek 380? thanks for the help guys i wanna keep it cheap since the bike was free lol
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako
    92' Trek 830 Antelope in restoration being turned into a commuter

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    here are a few parts that i picked out i was just gonna see if ya'll would have an objections to an of them i want it to maybe be under $150 for now just to get it running.
    i have these on my mountain bike and like them.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Lever+Set.aspx
    Maybe? i don't really know what to look for in cranksets
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Crank+Set.aspx
    since the front one still works i would only need the rear for now until the front goes out
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...rlr+135Mm.aspx
    and maybe a new cassette?
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Cassette.aspx
    and thats really all i got so far i know it wont be a nice bike but hey if i can get it to work just for short rides less than 10 miles i'll be happy lol
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako

responsible zombie owner
    Quote Originally Posted by tsp_2177
    an old trek that was in a house fire
    I assume there's no damage from the fire? Bicycles and house fires generally don't play well together...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    not that i can tell it just smells like i house fire lol. it was in the basement when the fire happened and all that got down there was smole so it should be good. but the frame looks to be in good condition i rode it down the driveway last night and everything felt solid i plan on getting a new chain sometime this weekend and taking everything apart and cleaning out the old grease and putting new in (cause i could guess that grease doesn't look like hot temps either) then after that i plan on sanding down all the rusty parts and painting them to hopefully cover up some of the smoke smell and then just ride it till these tires wear out and get some slicks then. thats the plan for it now it hope to turn it into a hybrid one day but if i can just get away with a rear derailler and a chain for now and nothing breaks i'll be happy to spend some money on it maybe and order some of those parts lol.
    also where would i find hybrid wheels? i don't think 700c would fit on this bike would it? i kinda get confused on wheels other than 26" but i guess thats cause i'm a newb at biking (only been riding a mountain bike a few months and never had a road bike or a hybrid.)
    thanks in advance, sorry for all the questions lol i'm sure i could come up with more but i'm trying not to load up one post with a bunch lol
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako

anyone else smell that?
    i think that rear der. only works on axle mounts....?
    1. Your signature can not be longer than 125 characters.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i know that this bike has the frame mount right under the axle so i'm guessing that on would work then thanks for that info :-)
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    no pictures?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Ovaries on the Outside
    Take some pictures. I couldn't find anything about a trek 380 in a quick search, but if you have 27 inch tires, I'm fairly certain you can slap 700c on the bike and be fine. Personally, I'd try and aim for a SS. If you have a cartridge cassette, it should be easy- spend thirty dollars and spend your time riding it. Post pictures and we can go from there.

Jun 2009
    Sorry I can't help you with parts....but my only suggestion...that bike absolutely needs a flame paint job!!!!

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitaGuy
    Sorry I can't help you with parts....but my only suggestion...that bike absolutely needs a flame paint job!!!!

I was actually thinking the same thing...lol

I believe that the frame is steel...so what I would do is strip it down. Removed everything. Power wash it, getting all the loose stuff off. Then use some paint stripper to remove any remnants. Wire brush the frame. The after it's good clean metal, prime it and repaint.
    You will run into tire clearance problems and brake issues if you try to switch up the wheel sets. If it's a 26, I'd stick with that.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Couldn't find anything on it on http://www.vintage-trek.com which covers trek road bikes. My guess is that its a mountain bike or a mountain/hybrid that was semi common in the early 90's.

What I would do? New chain, brake pads and cables, paint job if its rusty, throw a set of slicks on it (I like GEAX tires for 26" urban tires since they can take some abuse and do alright on dirt/gravel paths) and ride the crap out of it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks for the help guys! and i am gonna paint it i already have some really nice paint that i have left over from when i put a gt bumper on my old mustang so the color of the bike will be ford redfire!
    https://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/...554502.jpg?v=0
    i can't wait to get it painted i'm gonna start dissasembly today maybe and take it over to my brother in law's shop as soon as i get the paint stripped. he's also wanting to start airbrushing and i think i'm gonna let him test some stuff out it so who knows what it will turn out looking like lol
    thanks for all the suggestions!
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    also i'll try and post some pics up of it tonight
    my plans now are is to get some cheap mtb wheels and paint it then later on get some slick and put on it and keep it fairly simple
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    anyone have an idea on what size/kind of wheels these are? i like them but if i can't get them to work or too expensive i'll just get some cheap wheels and slicks

my frames very similar to this btw
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    so i'm dyslexic and it's a trek 830 antelope just imagine this in red, i'll post pics of it later
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    anyone have an idea on what size/kind of wheels these are? i like them but if i can't get them to work or too expensive i'll just get some cheap wheels and slicks

my frames very similar to this btw
    wow someone other then me posting my pics haha

Front wheel is a Ritchey Deep Section
    Rear wheel is a Ksyrium Elite

they are 700c road wheels... made for skinny road tires... i'm running 28's on em... good wheels... but run standard spoke wheels at the moment
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    i know that this bike has the frame mount right under the axle so i'm guessing that on would work then thanks for that info :-)
    No, it won't work. The Saint and Hone rear derailleurs require hubs from the same group set.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    wow someone other then me posting my pics haha

Front wheel is a Ritchey Deep Section
    Rear wheel is a Ksyrium Elite

they are 700c road wheels... made for skinny road tires... i'm running 28's on em... good wheels... but run standard spoke wheels at the moment
    haha sorry i posted something in that thread about them and didn't get any response so i thought i'd post it here
    thanks for the info though! i got the front fork off (with a little persuasion of a hammer on the handle bars) and have it half way sanded, if it rains tomorrow and i don't have to mow 4 yards i'm gonna try and get the fork finished and maybe half of the frame i just hope i can remember how all the cables go back together lol. i'm pretty sure i'm gonna need a new rear wheel and i'll probably upgrade to v brakes if i can't figure out how to get the cantilevers back together. does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap but higher range 7 speed cassette maybe better for commuting than the one i have?
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    o and this is the only pic i have before i started to break it down.

sorry for the bad cell phone quality all i have is a gZone boulder
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    have you considered single speeding it? its A lot cheaper than you buying low quality shifty parts and having them break. also check to see if the bottom bracket spins with ease, a fire can destroy them pretty quickly . if you want ill recommend some SS parts

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    have you considered single speeding it? its A lot cheaper than you buying low quality shifty parts and having them break. also check to see if the bottom bracket spins with ease, a fire can destroy them pretty quickly . if you want ill recommend some SS parts
    would commuting be good for single speeding? like could i average a good over all speed and still be able to ride 6-7 miles pretty good? and sure recommend away i'm always up to suggestions
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    would commuting be good for single speeding? like could i average a good over all speed and still be able to ride 6-7 miles pretty good? and sure recommend away i'm always up to suggestions
    do you mean "would single speed be good for commuting?". anyways it would and i could list some reasons.

1. you build up muscle , so when you ride you geared bike its super easy .

2. less maintenance , your bike is less likely to break down on the way to work/school so you have less of a hassle in the mornings .

3. its pretty fun once you have gotten past the pain

a few things to do before you buy stuff:

take the route you are commuting on a geared bike and find a gear you are most comfortable with and try to apply that toward your single speed gearing.

when removing all your parts , be sure to take it off carefully so that you can reuse them if necessary

make sure all the parts you are buying will fit and play well with other parts.

_

parts:

http://www.danscomp.com/452006.php?cat=RACE

these cranks are pretty sweet, you would think the aluminum work break but they dont ,even with 200+ weight

http://www.danscomp.com/459003.php?cat=RACE

these chain ring bolts are pretty strong

http://www.danscomp.com/459027.php?cat=RACE

although i don't like aluminum chain rings this one seems very strong i find a 36 tooth works great

http://www.danscomp.com/456050.php

mmmm..... this bottom bracket is tasty, get one that fits your bike

_

here is where is gets tricky. you can either decide to find your magic gear ratio or get a tension device to hold the chain OR you can get a chain with a half link

http://www.eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php <------- magic gear calculator

get a 6 to 9 speed chain , its stronger

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/1...ns.aspx?s=1486

one of these would be good with this:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...32+Chains.aspx

_

a good tension device would be this surly Singleator:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ingleator.aspx

be sure to read the descriction and get the 18 mm cone wrench

_

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...nglespeed.aspx

these cogs are great if you can get sizes 16-20 tooth so you can try out diff. ratios

i know its a lot of info to suck in but if you need help they will help you in the single speed forums . they probably will give you better info .

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46 <-------- SS forum

here is some really good info on converting to SS:

http://www.mtbr.com/ssfaqcrx.aspx <------- SS FAQ

hopes this helps and good luck

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Stick to 26" Wheels - 700c's wont work (as stated above). The bike that they are on is a Road frame (I have an '85 400 and LOVE it, still runing 27" wheels though), you have a mountain frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ok thanks for all the help guys i can't get anything on this bike to work right lol i've almost given up on it a few times now but i think i'm just gonna let it sit in the garage for a while and i'm gonna get me some slicks for my mountain bike and swap them on to there until i ride some trails again. i need to read up bike maintenance more before i can really get this bike going. i've pretty much got it all going but the rear derailler and right now funds would only give me enough to get tires or the rear dearailler so i'm choosing tires lol. i also might need a new rear wheel as it is really bad out of true ( if not warped) so i couldn't afford one of those right now. i figure i might as well get out and ride while i can while i have a bike that runs amazingly instead working on this and just have a mediocre working bike and not be happy with it till christmas when i can get more money to work on it.
    thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate it and might resurect this thread everyonce and a while if i have some questions lol
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako

mtbr member
    I suggest learning how to true the wheel rather than buying a new one. Unless the wheel is severely bent or cracked, it can likely be trued. A spoke wrench and some zip ties will cost you no more than 10 bucks. A decent truing stand will last forever and make it easier but it's not necessary. Follow this guide and take your time:

http://bicycletutor.com/wheel-truing/

I would also suggest trying to find another beater bike to transplant parts rather than buying new parts; it's far cheaper this way and you will get some extra spare parts that will come in handy in the future. If you do find a beater bike make sure it has somewhat decent name brand parts. Low end stamped Shimano parts while not the best are far better than cheap no name Chinese parts that you find on various Wal-Mart bikes... I have had a couple of their derailleurs bend into a fold because they were so lousy.

Housing, brake pads, and cables should be new though so set aside ~20 for those.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks for that info i think i figured out what was wrong with the rear derailler i think i just have the chain to tight because it will move when i shift it but it just moves straight out instead of side to side? does that sound like to tight of chain? i lubed everything and everything else seems to work great so i might not need to replace anything just true the wheel lol i dunno i'll probably still just put some slicks on my mountain bike and kinda mess with this one during the winter. i saw an old road bike on the side of the road for sale who knows if it's not rust i might check on it lol
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako

Members who have read this thread: 0