Got Hit Today- Mtbr.com

Thread: Got Hit Today

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Got Hit Today

I had a run-in with a van earlier this afternoon on my commute home from my classes. I was turning left into my alley-way while a very impatient van decided that he could not wait to pass me. Got clipped by his front quarter panel and went down at a pretty slow-speed. Luckily my quick mental check showed that neither my bike nor I was in any state of harm.

The part that sucks: The driver of the van was probably a man in his 60s, immediately pulled over, stepped out of the van and started spewing a string of obscenities at me, something or other about not riding on the sidewalk and yielding to passing cars. Well I blew my top and got right back in his face and eventually it came down to me telling him to get back in his car and leave or I would let things escalate; which he left and I went on my way.

In retrospect I should have just called the cops right then and there and at least have it on record in case I got home and found anything on me or my belongings damaged. But I made a poor decision and now it's done.

Now I ride this some route probably four times a day (to and from class and then normally off to ride in the evenings) and have never had a run-in with a driver. I guess this just serves as a reminder to all of us to be careful out there because you never know what can happen.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Don't blame yourself. That's a shitty situation made worse by another stupid driver. Don't feel bad about mouthing off about kicking an old man's ass. While it wouldn't have been fair, it is certainly not more unfair than his car v. your bike.

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    The thing that sucks is that you ride the same route each day. I had a problem with this once and it was a bus driver that would swerve toward me to see me swerve out of the way. I would catch up to him and cuss him out. He would just laugh at me. Till one day he bumped me instead of just coming toward me. He was in the parking area at the side of the road and couldn't really stay long enough to hurt me with out running into the parked cars. Needless to say I called and turned him in. I wouldn't leave my name due to the fact that he was already after me.

Don't forget that the jackass you yell at you might take a run at you at a later date.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

NormalNorm
    WTF is wrong with people. You probably made your point if you meet up again with him. Next time dont be so nice....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norm
    WTF is wrong with people. You probably made your point if you meet up again with him. Next time dont be so nice....
    not to bag on seniors, but I doubt he gave it a second thought. I got hit by a senior on my skateboard, after I *****ed the guy out his only reply was, "well you should have watched were I was going!" They just dont get it, their in a car so watch out.

I could recount another hit by senior but dont want to freak everyone out.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

Oct 2004
    What is it that makes people think this way?Absolutely crazy.They hit YOIU and somehow it's your fault?
    I can't count the number of times I've had people gesture to me that I need to get off the road while passing me.Example,just yesterday.Riding down a 5 lane road,no traffic,me hugging the white line.A car passes me and comes(literally)inches of hitting me.He's going atleast 55.As he passes I see him pointing "over".WTF?Do these people not realize(or care) that one wrong move and in the case of yesterday,I could be dead?What makes someone want to come as close as humanly possible to me if I'm on the shoulder of the road,not impeding them at all,and not another car within sight.He had two lanes to move over a bit.I will never understand people.

>rant over< LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoOutside
    I had a run-in with a van earlier this afternoon on my commute home from my classes. I was turning left into my alley-way while a very impatient van decided that he could not wait to pass me. Got clipped by his front quarter panel and went down at a pretty slow-speed. Luckily my quick mental check showed that neither my bike nor I was in any state of harm.

The part that sucks: The driver of the van was probably a man in his 60s, immediately pulled over, stepped out of the van andstarted spewing a string of obscenities at me, something or other about not riding on the sidewalk and yielding to passing cars . Well I blew my top and got right back in his face and eventually it came down to me telling him to get back in his car and leave or I would let things escalate; which he left and I went on my way.

In retrospect I should have just called the cops right then and there and at least have it on record in case I got home and found anything on me or my belongings damaged. But I made a poor decision and now it's done.

Now I ride this some route probably four times a day (to and from class and then normally off to ride in the evenings) and have never had a run-in with a driver. I guess this just serves as a reminder to all of us to be careful out there because you never know what can happen.

poser Administrator
    Here is my tip on confrontations in an accident:

I was riding my bike legally in a bike lane. A car shortcutting a light, shortcutted right through me. I was thrown to the ground and my bike went under the back wheel. I was already riled up because I had just avoided this same situation at the last light. I got up just as they were getting out of the car and flipped my lid on the girl. I yelled and screamed at her and she took it, but then her boyfriend got out the car and told me to take it easy.

That was the straw that broke the camels back and I yelled more at them and then I kicked their car. Well my ranting brought over a policeman who separated me from them and then went to talk with them.

He returned and asked me if I threatened them and kick their car and I said "yes". He then informed me that that could be considered assault when all that they had done was a traffic violation of failure to yield. If I pressed charges against them they would have to go to a class and get a point on their license, if they pressed charges against me I would get a misdemeanor on my record and possible jail or suspended sentence for threatening them and kicking their car.

So I mentally WTF-ed and accepted the loss of my front wheel and fork.

1 month later I was out on the bike with replaced wheel and new fork when I was hit again in the same situation. This time I quelled my anger, called the police and after the adrenalin subsided I called an ambulance because I thought my arm might be fractured.

Long story short I received compensation for another new fork, wheel and shifters plus a pain and suffering stipend and I was back to commuting many many months later when the mental block cleared.

My #1 advice: If you are hit no matter the damage and you were in the right of way call the police. Make a report, cite the driver and be on your way. Even if it seemed like nothing happened the adrenalin of the accident can mask issues that you do not notice until you get home. Better safe and sorry and the driver will be impacted by their inability to drive their motor vehicle.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Members who have read this thread: 0