GoPro catches hit and run

Printable View

• 04-30-2012
    MotoX33
    GoPro catches hit and run
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h3LatOGCWVc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Skip to ~2:35 for the incident. I have considered mounting my GoPro for my commutes and road riding just in case something like this ever happened. 99.9% (hopefully 100%) of the footage would be boring road riding but you never know when you might catch that 1 idiot that would have gotten away otherwise. Glad to see these 2 riders get up relatively unharmed, AND they caught the driver thanks to the video!
  • 05-15-2012
    rjmij
    Ouch!!
  • 05-15-2012
    jetta_mike
    Wow. 2 blown stop signs, no signals at intersections, no shoulder checks when moving around parked cars. I totally didn't see the impact coming when they were JRA.
  • 05-15-2012
    beagledadi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jetta_mike View Post
    Wow. 2 blown stop signs, no signals at intersections, no shoulder checks when moving around parked cars. I totally didn't see the impact coming when they were JRA.

I said the same thing when this hit Facebook two weeks ago.

Matt
  • 05-15-2012
    BaeckerX1
    Quote:

Probably not the best example of law-abiding cycling out there (disappointing actually), but doesn't mean they deserved to be hit. They actually weren't doing anything wrong at the time they got hit. Just like the other one posted here it looks like the driver deliberately crossed the white line to hit them. Since they were both hit and runs I wouldn't be surprised. Sad. It takes a cold soul to run someone into the ground then keep driving.
  • 05-15-2012
    faz077
    The amount of riders I see these days with the cameras mounted to their helmets/bikes and who are commuters tells me it is becoming a problem where they need the "evidence" to catch the driver and back up their version of events.
  • 05-15-2012
    Leopold Porkstacker
    Thanks to the ProGoContourHeroHD™ footage, the local po-po were able to apprehend the guy who owns the car. Supposedly shortly after he the hit-and-run, he reported his car stolen… however, the cops found him driving his car later on, and when they pulled him over and searched the car, they found he (a) was under the influence of a controlled substance, (b) had prior convictions for driving under the influence, (c) was in possession of heroin at the time of the traffic stop. :rolleyes: Go figure.
  • 05-15-2012
    rodar y rodar
    Quote:

Jeez, you`re right. When I watched it before, the first stop sign didn`t register, and I skipped over the second one. You`d think the guy who posted it to begin with would have started it after the part that shows them being boneheads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by faz077 View Post
    The amount of riders I see these days with the cameras mounted to their helmets/bikes and who are commuters tells me it is becoming a problem where they need the "evidence" to catch the driver and back up their version of events.

Could be, but I think they just do it now because they can. Nobody ever did it before because it was impossible up until just a few years ago, then probably very expensive for some time after that.
  • 05-15-2012
    BrianMc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    . You`d think the guy who posted it to begin with would have started it after the part that shows them being boneheads.

I'm surprised they weren't charged. Also note that insufficient door clearance was given by the lead rider going past parked cars. Blowing stops with cars at them at that speed? Not checking? They'd not live long on my streets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    . Nobody ever did it before because it was impossible up until just a few years ago, then probably very expensive for some time after that.

You need HD to be able to read a plate. You have to run them all the time as you can't predict when you need them on and battery runtime becomes an issue. And, yes I considered riding with mine always on and swapping batteries out at the half way point.

BrianMc
  • 05-16-2012
    JeremyC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Just like the other one posted it looks like the driver deliberately crossed the white line to hit them.

Looks like it could be a case of target fixation on the part of the driver. People tend to subconsciously steer in the direction they're looking - this is a trait which is often covered in high-performance and safety oriented driving courses. Police officers, surveyors, bikers, and road crew personnel often fall victim to this sort of phenomena.

Ever drive a flashy car, and notice the traffic around you swerving/making incursions into your lane? Same thing happens when on a bike.
  • 05-16-2012
    BrianMc
    ^ People with drugs or alcohol on board do it even more. They plough into emergency vehicles with all those flashing lights. I have seen it with my bike lights with drivers who get closer as they go by. The slow response to correct can also be attributed to drugs, and not intention. It doesn't matter. He is toast, now.

BrianMc