Google Ads Bike Routes to Google Maps- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Google Ads Bike Routes to Google Maps

Thought I'd pass along the info...I checked the route to my work from my house and was given three optional routes I didn't even know of. I think it's pretty cool

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/03/10/b...ex.html?hpt=T2

Bedwards Of The West
    Sweet. Thanks for the heads up
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just came by to post that....

The only issue I've found playing with it so far is that both dirt and paved paths are annotated the same way.

Also for my commute on the way in it picked the same route I normally ride, for the return trip it picks a route which adds over half a mile for no discernible reason.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by space
    Just came by to post that....

The only issue I've found playing with it so far is that both dirt and paved paths are annotated the same way.

Also for my commute on the way in it picked the same route I normally ride, for the return trip it picks a route which adds over half a mile for no discernible reason.
    I think it's supposed to avoid hills - does your normal return route have a steep uphill that the proposed alternate route avoids?

Too bad about the dirt vs paved thing - I have run into that problem using [wrong] paper maps and a road bike before.

Just tried it - I will never find my way the whole distance to work now - sob,sob -they made it 26 turns!! To give them credit, some of those are just the road changing names even though you go straight. It did route me on more dirt than necessary, either to avoid some bigger (but flatter) roads or to cut off .5 mi. Their route includes one road I think is a class 4 (unmaintained) road, that I drove once & considered myself lucky to arrive at the other end.
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 03-10-2010 at 03:51 PM.

weirdo
    Well, that`s cool. I don`t have a lot of faith on it, but since it`s free I`ll take it!

I played with it a little bit, too. Presta, did it give you three different routes on the original search, or did you request other routes somehow? It gave me pretty much my usual route from home to work and a very convoluted route from home to my folks` house that does NOT involve dirt, even though the most direct and least climbing route goes offroad. From here to nearby Truckee, CA it routed me on fire roads.

Side note- I see it also has options for public transportation. Just for fun, I requested a few P.T. routes and they all start with "take a cab 4 miles to the bus stop". Apparently, Grayhound, Amtrack, et al aren`t in their P.T. database, because it wouldn`t give me any out of town routes at all.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    rodar - it gave me three options when I put in a beginning address (my home) and an ending address (my work). The first route was mostly bike trail. The second was bike lanes on a street, and the third was a residential route.

Keep in mind it is beta - I reported an issue yesterday with one of the routes (tells you to take a ride through a pedestrian only area here in Denver - the 16th Street Mall).

I noticed after I posted this that 1) it's also listed in the announcements section of this site with a link to a demo (that shows you how to re-route yourself on the map and then it re-calculates distance and stuff),

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/google-...ng-directions/

and 2) it's showing up as a Google Ad through adsense on this thread.

Have fun!

Members who have read this thread: 0