Good shoes(non-cleats) for bicycling- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Good shoes(non-cleats) for bicycling

Recently I bought a cheap pair of Airwalk skater shoes from Payless to use while bicycling, and in less than 2 months they have fallen apart and have a huge rip in the sole. Regardless, they were not stiff enough.

I know about five-ten shoes, but they seem as heavy as boots which is undesirable for me. I don't use my bicycle as a glorified stationary exercise bike that moves, so I have no interest in clipless pedals and cleats, because I actually use the bike and then enter *gasp* stores, restaurants, work. Does anyone know a good pair of "normal" shoes for cycling?

mtbr member
    I only started commuting a few months ago (and I ride clipless religiously off-road) but I am like you and don't really want to ride clipless for a 4 mile commute. I have just been using regular tennis shoes, but I will be interested to see what people suggest.

I will however say that I have a pair of Pearl Izumi biking shoes with rubber soles that are comfortable to walk around in even with cleats on. If the tread is tall enough, the cleat doesn't hit the ground. That said, I still choose not to wear them for my commute.

This isn't the model I have, but is similar.

I'd rather be on my bike
    You can clip in, and still be stylish. You don't always need to look like a cyclist. Check out the Kursk and Truk line. You want stiff? These are it.

Chrome, Shoes, Men | Shipped Free at Zappos
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am currently rocking these Shimanos and they are just about perfect. Stiff enough sole, and they don't look too goofy if I am walking around. The cleats are just about recessed enough that they don't click too much while I walk. They are also pretty comfortable.

Shimano SH-MT43 MTB Shoes - Closeout! - Performance Sales Exclusions
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member

I just switched from the Shimano Click'r pedals and shoes. Great for walking around in but retaining efficiency when riding. Prior to that, I wore a simple pair of Vans. Worked great for platforms. Now I've got SPD-SL shoes and pedals since my commute has increased, but my desire to wake earlier hasn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have been very happy with Keen and Blundstone for my mixed work in international ag extension and timber framing. I have been very happy with either on my platform pedals, and just came across some Keen MTB shoes at the local bike shop. The cleats look like I could kick free easily, the shoes look like any other Keen hiking shoe. They are on my Christmas list.

If you want the sleek Airwalk shape and are sticking with platform pedals, I have had great luck with Adidas Sambas as indestructible roofing footwear. The classic Pumas are equally sticky and tough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    five10 does a lot of shoes, which ones are you finding heavy? I use freeriders for my 45km round commute, sticky and stuff enough to pedal ok but didn't want clipless in mid city traffic sections. they'd be no heavier than vans or skate shoes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I wear Shimano M088 shoes and not once have I heard the cleats hit the floor while walking around. I do change shoes while I'm at work though.

mtbr member

Im switching to five10 next year, the all weather ones. Running skate shoes and i go threw some grass alone a single track right now and the morning dew soaks them not to mention unpassable puddles.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tubby74 View Post
    five10 does a lot of shoes, which ones are you finding heavy? I use freeriders for my 45km round commute, sticky and stuff enough to pedal ok but didn't want clipless in mid city traffic sections. they'd be no heavier than vans or skate shoes.
    this is what I got because I don't like how chunky the Impacts are. they don't have the stiffest sole, but they just feel like normal shoes. the soles are still a lot stiffer than the airwalks that you shredded.

mtbr member
    I take back my advice for the OP, since he's such a frumpy-grumpy-frowny-face guy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyFokker View Post
    Recently I bought a cheap pair of Airwalk skater shoes from Payless to use while bicycling, and in less than 2 months they have fallen apart and have a huge rip in the sole. Regardless, they were not stiff enough.

I know about five-ten shoes, but they seem as heavy as boots which is undesirable for me. I don't use my bicycle as a glorified stationary exercise bike that moves, so I have no interest in clipless pedals and cleats, because I actually use the bike and then enter *gasp* stores, restaurants, work. Does anyone know a good pair of "normal" shoes for cycling?
    walk just fine with my SPD shoes.
    you should try clipless, but that means you'll need some intelligence which, based on your post, you are lacking

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I also have spd shoes and walk fine on them as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. Crocs Mario Battalgi chef clogs are stiff/ non slip while very light weight and bright orange. Non- Battalgi versions are available in olive drab and black.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    this is what I got because I don't like how chunky the Impacts are. they don't have the stiffest sole, but they just feel like normal shoes. the soles are still a lot stiffer than the airwalks that you shredded.
    I picked up a pair of impacts from CRC when they were selling them off cheap - they are not really heavy but they are bulky, I still use them when I'm riding flats on techy stuff but won't buy them again. All I need now is a foldie then I really will look like a circus clown.

Commuting I use M770 SPD pedals and M087 shoes and as all have said they are fine to walk in.

I am not stylish enough for crocs, I question whether the upper would support the foot well enough for cycling regardless of whether the sole is stiff or not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    OP, "no cleats" means different things to different riders. Do you mean that you want to ride platform pedals in street shoes? If this is the case, I stand by the Keen/ Blundstone recommendation. They are not cheap, but they are light. My Blundstone boots are lighter than my Keen shoes.

As SimpleJon points out, the crocs will not give needed support for any distance. I was posting sarcastically when I suggested them.

If by "no cleats" you mean anything other than platforms and street shoes, I am of no use to you and wish you the best of luck.

My limited experience with this forum suggests that we have access to many clever people, a few great minds, and a lot of good advice. The more detailed the question, the more useful the answer.