good metal fenders?- Mtbr.com
    ~ B A D A S S ~

good metal fenders?

So I'm looking for some good metal fenders. I've had plastic before but this time I think i want metal instead. The plastic is hard to mount so it doesnt look crappy. They warp and such. crc basically has 100 flavors of black colored crap plastic so no luck there.

Also what are your experiences with alu/stainless?

What are the good brands/stores for this?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    no one? I have found road alu and stainless fenders from velo orange. these seems to be much better than my sks that I currently have. but I've also found brass fenders. I think i like the color of those more to be honest. but hefty premium for those. 200 for those. I'm not decieded yet. I personally think staineless would be the best but brass looks a bit cooler to me.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

since 4/10/2009
    I know quite a few bikes with velo orange fenders. They're nice. They look stellar. But they take a bit more work to mount, and you'll be fighting rattles for as long as you own 'em. VO uses leather washers for anti-rattle, and they work...but they will eventually wear out, fall off, etc. So it'll be a good idea to get your hands on a bunch of extras so you are ready when you do lose one and your fenders start rattling.

I've got SKS fenders on my Vaya, and I've been happy with them. I think I've had them for about 5yrs now, with no major complaints.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm not a huge fan of metal fenders, since if [when] you inevitably pick something up, they crumple and jam the tire. I'll deal with the minor inconvenience of plastic fenders any day, over that. Keep the metal stuff for show bikes.

If you insist, though, it's hard to beat Honjo fenders. They require almost as much finagling to install as the [sarcasm] dreaded SKS fenders [/sarcasm], though. Beautiful fenders, in every sense of the word; the VO fenders are cheap knock-offs that they over charge for. The finish on the Honjo fenders is about as close to the old chromed Wald fenders as you can get with aluminum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    I think i like the color of those more to be honest. but hefty premium for those. 200 for those. I'm not decieded yet. I personally think staineless would be the best but brass looks a bit cooler to me.
    Sorry. My Tanaka's appear to be out of production:

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post

I ordered brass honjos. buy once, cry once. (for my bike I just posted here a few days ago)

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Portland Design Works Full Metal fenders, I've had mine mounted for quite a few amount of miles and for the price ($120) I'm more than satisfied. Quick to mount, nice safety release feature, and only a minor rattle.

since 4/10/2009

Is that a Bradford pear I see? KILL IT WITH FIRE!

~ B A D A S S ~
    my shiny japanese masterpieces of brass has now begun their journey across the globe

Specialized sucks ass.

my shiny japanese masterpieces of brass has now begun their journey across the globe

Link for the masterpieces? TIA
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    Link for the masterpieces? TIA
    just search for honjo koken brass fenders. I got the model with the 2 "folds" all along both sides. There was also some multifacetted ones and smooth radius ones. I also saw hammered ones with dimples all over. around 200 bux. I went for smooth surface but you know with a type of fold or depression along each side. I figured it would make them stiffer that way.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    will look like this I imagine Cyclelicious Honjo brass fenders

Specialized sucks ass.

Human Test Subject
    Those look so nice I'd be afraid to ride them in the rain.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Nah, brass is good since you can polish it up after a few years when they have corroded sligthly. With that being said I have many many parts made out of brass and bronze on my bikes since we throw that material away at work (broken machinery) and They look just as shiny now as the day I put them on, if I bother to remove the layers of gunk on them that is

Well they looks as shiny as when they came of the lathe/belt grinder/angle grinder/1500P paper that is.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Is that a Bradford pear I see? KILL IT WITH FIRE!
    No. It is a Native Serviceberry with a very nice fall color. Nice way to feed the birds about now. Most Bradford Pears have the lance shape to the crown of the tree.

since 4/10/2009
    No. It is a Native Serviceberry with a very nice fall color. Nice way to feed the birds about now. Most Bradford Pears have the lance shape to the crown of the tree.
    Whew, thank goodness.

~ B A D A S S ~
    is there anything bad with "bradford pears"??

Specialized sucks ass.

Ride Everything
    Check out Handsome Cycles' Mud Butlers.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

2nd, what is wrong with them?
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    They reek when they're dropping pollen.

mtbr member
    They are wildly invasive Chinese species crowding out native understory trees. Originally sterile, someone screwed up.

since 4/10/2009
    BrianMc nailed the invasiveness of them. Old ones were sterile but had weak branches. Folks did some interbreeding to make the branhes stronger. They got stronger branches, but they were no longer sterile. They are taking over lots of places in the midwest.

They don't just smell bad when dropping pollen. They outright smell like dead fish.

There is really nothing redeeming about them that can't be found in native trees, like Brian's serviceberry.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    Check out Handsome Cycles' Mud Butlers.
    These are pretty neat. The W in Downtown Minneapolis has a fleet of Handsome Cycle 3 speeds for it's customers to use to get around the city with a black wald basket, a customer brought one in and we all oogled over it for a while. Had these fenders on the bike which was pink

I am 50/50 on metal fenders. They look nice but I think that is where the benefits stop, they are heavier than their plastic counterparts and as someone mentioned if something gets in there it can cause some nasty damage. I personally used the PB Cascadia's on my Ogre for a while but recently swapped over to Blackburn's new 65mm wide fenders, which I think are actually better read: more coverage.

Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    I am 50/50 on metal fenders. They look nice but I think that is where the benefits stop, they are heavier than their plastic counterparts and as someone mentioned if something gets in there it can cause some nasty damage.
    I've personally seen the aftermath, of the bike, and of the person. If you're lucky, the front tire kicks the object up, and the rear picks it up, causing a lockup in the back--but if you're not...OLD, profiled, steel fenders seem immune, if not less prone, to this, as they are very sturdily built.

Metal looks great on beach cruisers/40+ year old bikes, but I'd never dream of anything but polycarbonate on a modern bike. Metal fenders have the unique ability to be used as a conductor for a generator, but even the better SKS fenders have a foil strip in them for that purpose (general success rate, 50/50).

No scare-mongering intended, they're just not for me. If I can avoid a front OTB/washout by something I have control over, I will. I've already had the breakaway on the front fender work once, and that's enough for me.

N.B. a good metal fender is actually lighter than a comparable polycarbonate fender. You need much thinner material to keep everything in place. Aluminum in particular can be very light, and still perform its function...though its durability is far lower than polycarbonate.

~ B A D A S S ~
    In 15000km over the last 2 years i have never had something getting caught in the wheel and take a few spins. I'm not worried at all. I've been running sks chromoplastic sh1t. WITHOUT the snapaway crap. these are sh1t fenders to be honest. When i assebled them they were in a perfect radius around the wheel and now they are warped and lets just say not constant radius anymore.

and i even loctited everything. also the sharp steel wires sticking out on the definitely wrong side of the fenders have ruined 2 pair of pants now. fuk that sh1t. never again.

Specialized sucks ass.