Good Foot Protection for Winter?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Good Foot Protection for Winter?

I was just wondering what methods you gents use to keep your feet warm while commuting during the winter. I live in Salt Lake City, and during winter it can get down past 0 degrees F some nights, and I always have problems keeping my feet warm. Battery Heated gloves work good for the hands on those night, but no matter how thick my socks are my feet still freeze. Any suggestions or products you recommend? - Cheers

Fat-tired Roadie
    Booties. Or more serious boots, with actual insulation. Depends what kind of pedal system you're riding.

It almost never snows where I am. When it did, I switched to flat pedals and water proof hiking boots. Heavy wool socks were enough for warmth, but it didn't get that cold.

The winters I played "ski bum," I had some Columbia Ice Dragons I wore. Good enough to stand in the snow and shovel out someone's deck. They aren't brilliantly water proof without gaiters, though.

There are some purpose-built winter cycling shoes, but I don't know if they're good or not. I don't care enough about my efficiency on my commute bike, and on the performance bikes, I get by with booties and warm socks.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

weirdo
    I use hiking boots and thick socks when it gets cold. My boots are uncomfortably hot in the summer, but they keep my feet happy in the winter.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Shimano winter boots I ride down to -35 C for about an hour with them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Vapor barrier socks

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I use flat pedals in winter and wear some Danner boots (8" leather boots with 400g of Thinsulate). For longer rides, I have been contemplating a pair of Lake MXZ302s, but I haven't taken the plunge yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ConfederateLawyer View Post
    For longer rides, I have been contemplating a pair of Lake MXZ302s, but I haven't taken the plunge yet.
    I just ordered a pair of those. I wanted some Pearl Izumi Barrier GTX's, but they stopped making them and I can't find them in my size.

But yeah, if you don't want to spend almost $300 on biking boots, go with some regular ol' winter boots and flat pedals (something that'll give you good grip).

Bedwards Of The West
    I want to buy some killer winter biking shoes, but I haven't. I'm pretty committed to my SPD's, and don't want to switch to platforms either, so I'm all about the cheap solution.

I've been using 'gator' brand neoprene socks from pricepoint. They work really well. they are waterproof (for at least a winter or two) and they completely block the wind. Eventually they start losing their waterproof ability, but they have kept me relatively warm down to the low single digits F. The downside is that your shoes get soaked in a good rain or slush-fest. But your feet stay dry.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I want to buy some killer winter biking shoes, but I haven't. I'm pretty committed to my SPD's, and don't want to switch to platforms either, so I'm all about the cheap solution.

I've been using 'gator' brand neoprene socks from pricepoint. They work really well. they are waterproof (for at least a winter or two) and they completely block the wind. Eventually they start losing their waterproof ability, but they have kept me relatively warm down to the low single digits F. The downside is that your shoes get soaked in a good rain or slush-fest. But your feet stay dry.
    Another option is shoe covers. I saw some at REI the other day from a company called Showers Pass that are waterproof. I have a pair of Pearl Izumi ones that are water resistant but warmer than the waterproof ones. The downside, IMO, is that they're annoying to have to put on and take off all the time.