"Good enough" disk brakes for commuting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

"Good enough" disk brakes for commuting

I have a pair of Shimano M485 hydros on my Scott Sub and they are absolutely terrible. The power isn't very good but decent for commuting, but the main pain in my behind is that they need adjusting every 2-3 rides, otherwise the pads are dragging on the rotor CONSTANTLY. I hardly bother with adjusting them any more since I'd need to do it 2-3 times a week so I've been trying to live with the noise...but no longer!

For my sanity's sake, I need new disk brakes. What should I get? I was looking at getting Deore M575's
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=43693 but they seem to be getting mixed reviews. I like them because they are white and match the frame (vanity above performance!).
    I've been considering Avid BB7's as well but they seem to be at least as expensive as hydros, plus they are usually sold without levers.

Advice appreciated!

Bedwards Of The West
    I have had the Hayes HFX 9's on two bikes...currently using them on the 29er... you can get them in any rotor size, pre bled, with lever/cable/caliper/rotor for $49 right now at pricepoint. Hayes just stopped making them this year, pads are available everywhere. One finger stopping in any condition, install-it-and-forget-it maintenance plan. I don't think you can possibly beat it for the money.

To me, "good enough" means that I don't have to constantly mess with it... I have had the BB5's and I almost punched myself in the face every time I remembered that I paid actual money for them. BB7's are great, but I agree with you...if you can get a good hydro for the same money, why wouldn't you? (unless you want to run them with drop bars and need mechanical levers).
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by olijay
    I have a pair of Shimano M485 hydros on my Scott Sub and they are absolutely terrible. The power isn't very good but decent for commuting, but the main pain in my behind is that they need adjusting every 2-3 rides, otherwise the pads are dragging on the rotor CONSTANTLY. I hardly bother with adjusting them any more since I'd need to do it 2-3 times a week so I've been trying to live with the noise...but no longer!

For my sanity's sake, I need new disk brakes. What should I get? I was looking at getting Deore M575's
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=43693 but they seem to be getting mixed reviews. I like them because they are white and match the frame (vanity above performance!).
    I've been considering Avid BB7's as well but they seem to be at least as expensive as hydros, plus they are usually sold without levers.

Advice appreciated!

Not sure switching brakes is going to help the Shimano brakes are known for being safe and reliable....might be something else happening here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Not sure switching brakes is going to help the Shimano brakes are known for being safe and reliable....might be something else happening here.
    That's incorrect information.

Brakes like the XT are very good, and I use them myself.

This model was subject to a recall a few years ago. http://bike-rack.com/articles/shiman...etin-pg394.htm

I've worked extensively with these brakes, and I would trade them in for Avid BB7 in a heartbeat.

The BB7's also have a pad adjuster on both sides, so you can reposition the pads.

mtbr member
    I have XT brakes on my mountain bike and they are great, no problem with Shimanos, this model is just particularly horrible. Makes sense it was recalled, though not for the issue I had.

HFX9 would have been a decent choice but I'm concerned about getting pads in maybe 3 years+.

I just ordered a pair of Deore M595 from ebay, $147 shipped (w/o rotors). They've been getting pretty good reviews and are apparently easy to bleed and maintain and also have the same pads as my XT brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I guess I'm lucky because I have a pair of M485s on my mtb and I haven't had any issues with them. I have XT hydros on my cycloscross frame and they are great as well. I am running avid rotors on my mtb, and they perform a lot better than the shimano rotors I have (as crazy as that may sound). The newer shimano brake levers are adjustable as well, which is an added plus.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

No-Brakes Cougar
    I haven't dealt with hydros, but Avid BB5s definitely fit into the "good enough for commuting" category. Kind of a pain, but I doubt you'd be having to adjust them every 2-3 rides. I think I'd give up and braze on some canti studs if it came down to that.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

BB7s

I use exclusively Avid BB7s on my commuters...prefer 2007 or older, but I also have some 2009s I've been happy with. The cost over BB5s is small and the extra adjustability is worth it. I ride 3000 miles/year and have to adjust once every month or two just to take up the space from the pad wear...1 click of the inboard dial and usually 2 clicks of the outboard dial does it...
    The adjustability makes these mechanical discs so much better than all but the highest end hydraulics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    BB7's here too. On road, off road... just make sure you have a solid pair of levers. Cane Creek Drop V's or the cheap Avid's are solid depending on your setup.

Some people complain about fade with BB7's. Most of that has to do with your cable housing and levers.

Utah
    Jul 2009
    My 29er came with bb5's and I've been happy with them. They started dragging and I didn't do anything about it until it got real annoying. I was surprised how easy they were to adjust. I commute on my bike 3-5 times a week and have had to adjust them twice in the last 3 months.

-Destin

Uncle

What changed in 2008?

Quote Originally Posted by citybiker
    I use exclusively Avid BB7s on my commuters...prefer 2007 or older, but I also have some 2009s I've been happy with.
    Hi. I've read a few people say the same thing -- about the new BB7s not being as good as the earlier model. What is the difference? Asking because I'm considering a set of BB7 for my next project.
    thx

mtbr member
    Just thought I'd update this thread since I've been using the new Deore M595 brakes for a few weeks now.

Lever feel is very nice and the lever itself is much better, I can one-finger brake now which is nice. Power is better but nothing too much, just feels right. Not much noise at all, haven't ridden in any serious rain yet, though. The whole system feels more "solid" now, the pads always return back and never rub on the disc after hard braking (like they used to). Pads are compatible with Deore XT/SLX pads as well, so pad availability is no problem.

I can wholly recommend them, they feel good enough for any bike and the price is pretty good on ebay right now.

Members who have read this thread: 0