A good commuter....- Mtbr.com
    Granny Gear Guru

A good commuter....

What do you guys recommend for a cheap commuter bike? Between $200-$400?
    I am going to start riding to work but I am not doing it on my mtb. I was thinking of picking up an old Gary Fisher Tassajara and putting some different tires on it but I don't need the Rock Shox fork. I've never looked for a commuter so I was hoping to get some input from those who know whats going on.

Thanks for any replies!
    10 Specialized Hardrock
    Looking for a new bike...... selling one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    In for replies, i'm thinking about a cheap road bike. My Rockhopper is to heavy/MTN tires and I would like to shave some time off my commute.

Granny Gear Guru
    I was thinking about a cheap road bike too but I have no clue what I'm looking at. Everything is in cm's and I can't tell what brand/model is worth the money. Since I will most likely buy on craigslist I have to watch out for the high priced Huffy's.
    10 Specialized Hardrock

weirdo
    The Tassajara sounds like a plan to me, especially if you already have it. Swapping out the Rockshox for rigid is probably a worthwhile change too, but not absolutely necesarry. You have lights? Need a rack? How are the tires, cables, brake pads, etc? All that stuff adds up, but you can still do it with your $200 to $400 budget.
    Recalculating....

Granny Gear Guru
    I don't have the Tassajara but I can for $75. I'll need to replace the tires so I'm hoping to find a set made for pavement. I'll probably swap the fork, I have no need for suspension on the road. I think I could probably do this for less than $300!
    10 Specialized Hardrock

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    I just scored a 2000 Cannondale Silk Trail 400 in great shape for $250.

I slapped on a rigid seatpost. Continental 1.75 touring slicks and clipless pedals.

Adding fenders, rack and decent light set up and I'm commuting!
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

mtbr member
    May 2008
    KHS Urban X... A True commuter at a budget price tag.

mtbr member
    I ride a Windsor Clockwork. Steel frame singlespeed road bike. It only cost me $300 brand new and, so far, has held up to a year of abuse.

Lots of new commuters being offered by companies this year. Think cheap, sturdy and low key. I'm 5'11" and I ride a 58cm for reference.

I just ordered full fenders, a rack and panniers for mine, hoping to start commuting again this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The best commuters ride the bike the have until they get another one.

mtbr member
    I ride an old rigid Cannondale converted to single speed and outfitted with V-brakes and other odds and ends I had laying around. I used to ride my mtb, but it was too high maintenance, especially in the winter. I like a simple commuter without suspension.

I think you are on the right track looking at Craigslist.

mtbr member
    I commute using my old Gary Fisher mtn bike! I have swapped nobby tires out for 1.5 slicks which makes a big difference. Other than that it is stock and works out great for me!

IMO for 75 bucks it is a good deal. best of luck
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have an old Raleigh road bike. I prefer road bikes, but I think if you're commuting within a city, it doesn't make much difference. Especially if you're comparing to a mountain bike or hybrid with a rigid fork and slick tires. If your commute has some real distance to it, it starts to matter more.

At your budget, you should be able to get a used bike from a shop too. That'll save you worrying about the brands on Craig's List or trying to guess your road size. It'll also have been tuned up, and reputable shops will offer at least a 30 day guarantee. I don't know if you have any shops in your area dealing in used, though...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jdreher55
    I don't have the Tassajara but I can for $75. I'll need to replace the tires so I'm hoping to find a set made for pavement. I'll probably swap the fork, I have no need for suspension on the road. I think I could probably do this for less than $300!

I was looking to upgrade some components on my marlin, the shox being one of them so I may have some interest in buying them off you if you do get the bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0