Good affordable light for commuting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good affordable light for commuting

I'm looking to spend around $100 max. Jenson has the blackburn x6 for $95, but the reviews are scary. Looks like the run time is <2 hours vs. the claimed 5. For $95 though, its tempting. Any other suggestions? I'm looking for a handlebar mounted light. I have the mars 3.0 tail light and seems good, though its my first tail light so I have no comparison. Thanks! Zillah

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Have you thought about buying two of these....

http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-HL-EL53.../dp/B000R5NR8K

Yeah, I know that the EL530 is not a Nite Rider rider system. But two of them for 84.00 seems ok, and I bet you could get them shipped for another 16.00. That meets your 100.00 max.

Or you could look on ebay, or build your own if you are handy. I am considering building my own light, but I need to assemble all the stuff, plus a soldering iron.

I hope that helps.

Bloody Bastard
    I got this Cateye light and computer combo kit while it was on sale at REI. A nice little simple solution commuter package. While small and barely noticeable on the bike when mounted, they're not the most powerful lights in the world in terms of brightness (they're bright, but don't expect BMW xenon light bright!), but they get the job done as far as making me visible to drivers. I also won't be riding in pitch black zero illumination conditions, so there.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I will check out some threads on the DIY lights, really I just want to toss something on and go. Those cateye's might be the ticket, i need just bright enough to see and be seen. They also claim to run for 10 hrs. on high and I could bring spare AA batteries if they crap out. Blue that combo is tempting as well, I do want a computer, but I will be commuting in the middle of the night so I'm not sure how that light will fare. Thanks. Zillah

Jul 2007
    I would either spend extra and get a lithium ion dinotte 200L or just go with Fenix P3D flashlight. I'm constantly amazed by the great customer service I've gotten at Dinotte and the quality of their products but it's really hard to beat the price/performance ratio of Fenix flashlights. They are a solid product too, just not American made and all that.

weirdo
    1. A lot of the budget minded folks on rbr commuter forum swear by the Fenix lights.
    2. Dinotte just had a sale (might still be going on)- their 200 withoug batteries or charger for like $100. It was directly off theor own site- not through any outside vendor.

I use a combo of homebrew battery operated halogen and dyno.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    all i know is the same lights i use for trails at night are not appreciated by traffic during my commute so i too will be looking for yet another light

Nov 2006
    a little ingenuity

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ight=pond+scum

and some juice

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2884

and you'll come in under budget, be able to see, and not cause traffic pile ups from blind drivers( light & motion ARC)

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial
    I would either spend extra and get a lithium ion dinotte 200L or just go with Fenix P3D flashlight. I'm constantly amazed by the great customer service I've gotten at Dinotte and the quality of their products but it's really hard to beat the price/performance ratio of Fenix flashlights. They are a solid product too, just not American made and all that.
    I agree with the above. I have the 200L Dionotte and a couple of Fenix's. I use the 200L as my light, and the Fenix's are for my wife since she does not ride enough to warent another 200L.

I also bought extra battery holders at Radio Shack for only a couple of dollars. I have been running the light with the 8 AA pack for over a year with no noticed ill effects yet.

The Fenix(s) are attached to my wife's handlbars with twofish light blocks and to her helmet with the same. Just as bright as the Dinotte in my opinion just more of a "hot spot".

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks guys! I may have to try my skills with the dual pond scum, in the meantime I'm using a friends princeton something or other, not great but it gets me to and from work for now.

Members who have read this thread: 0