Glasses under goggles

Printable View

  • 11-20-2014
    solarplex
    Glasses under goggles
    I have some scott otg goggles with a fan, a klim arctic balaclava.... Takes 25 minutes and my glasses are fogged. Sucks...

    What to do? I was over dressing. Maybe getting too hot myself.

    I seen a video that you wipe concentrated soap on, let dry, then wipe off.

    Going to try it.

    Maybe some more speed holes in the lens?


    #canadastrong
  • 11-21-2014
    scubaklook
    I have the Scot Storm OTGs. I prefer to use a neck gaiter + hat rather than a balaclava. I think this gives you more control over directing the airflow so it is not causing fogging. It also offers a more flexible setup if you are overheating. Another option is cutting some holes or making bigger holes in the mouth and nose area of your balaclava so more hot air is going out rather than up.
  • 11-21-2014
    rogbie
    When I use goggles, I wear a hat and wrap a scarf (wool, else it'll stink to high heaven) around my face. This directs the air away from the goggles keeping it in the scarf and still keeps your face warm.

    There are several anti-fog products on the market that may help: Cat Crap is the most well known.

    Lastly, I've never had much luck with Scott goggles. I've had a few of their snow sports goggles and didn't like the optics or the ventilation systems. I've had a pair of Smith goggles for 15 years, and they remain my goto for everything: bike, moto, snow.
  • 11-21-2014
    solarplex
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by scubaklook View Post
    I have the Scot Storm OTGs. I prefer to use a neck gaiter + hat rather than a balaclava. I think this gives you more control over directing the airflow so it is not causing fogging. It also offers a more flexible setup if you are overheating. Another option is cutting some holes or making bigger holes in the mouth and nose area of your balaclava so more hot air is going out rather than up.

    the klim arctic balaclava is unreal. its has a neoprean nose and mouth cover that strictly directs your breath below your chin.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxTZwoigmLU

    the problem still is that the glasses get fogged inside from my body temp im assuming, once i get warmed up....if it was breath they would fog first breath not 20 minutes into the commute.
  • 11-21-2014
    rogbie
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    the klim arctic balaclava is unreal. its has a neoprean nose and mouth cover that strictly directs your breath below your chin.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxTZwoigmLU

    the problem still is that the glasses get fogged inside from my body temp im assuming, once i get warmed up....if it was breath they would fog first breath not 20 minutes into the commute.

    The balaclava is your problem. It restricts your ability to regulate your body temp. With a scarf, if things get too warm, it's easy to loosen it, or pull the bottom up and unzip your outer layer a few inches to let that heat escape.

    It looks like that balaclava is intended for sledneckin' where the speeds and internal temps are vastly different than cycling.

    I decided on the scarf over the balaclava after experiencing the exact thing you're describing. Seriously, give the scarf a try.

    I put the scarf on last. Start with it hanging over your neck with 2/3 on one side and 1/3 on the other. Hold the short side flat against your face covering side of the head, wrap the longer side over and around the head. tie with a loose over hand knot, or tuck the ends into the front of your outer layer. A scarf allows many ways to adjust your internal temp. For example: doubling the layer over your mouth/nose with both ends of scarf, or the tie vs. tuck method.
  • 11-21-2014
    solarplex
    Glasses under goggles
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    The balaclava is your problem. It restricts your ability to regulate your body temp. With a scarf, if things get too warm, it's easy to loosen it, or pull the bottom up and unzip your outer layer a few inches to let that heat escape.

    It looks like that balaclava is intended for sledneckin' where the speeds and internal temps are vastly different than cycling.

    I decided on the scarf over the balaclava after experiencing the exact thing you're describing. Seriously, give the scarf a try.

    I put the scarf on last. Start with it hanging over your neck with 2/3 on one side and 1/3 on the other. Hold the short side flat against your face covering side of the head, wrap the longer side over and around the head. tie with a loose over hand knot, or tuck the ends into the front of your outer layer. A scarf allows many ways to adjust your internal temp. For example: doubling the layer over your mouth/nose with both ends of scarf, or the tie vs. tuck method.

    K ill give the scarf a try.


    #canadastrong
  • 11-26-2014
    solarplex
    Glasses under goggles
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    The balaclava is your problem. It restricts your ability to regulate your body temp. With a scarf, if things get too warm, it's easy to loosen it, or pull the bottom up and unzip your outer layer a few inches to let that heat escape.

    It looks like that balaclava is intended for sledneckin' where the speeds and internal temps are vastly different than cycling.

    I decided on the scarf over the balaclava after experiencing the exact thing you're describing. Seriously, give the scarf a try.

    I put the scarf on last. Start with it hanging over your neck with 2/3 on one side and 1/3 on the other. Hold the short side flat against your face covering side of the head, wrap the longer side over and around the head. tie with a loose over hand knot, or tuck the ends into the front of your outer layer. A scarf allows many ways to adjust your internal temp. For example: doubling the layer over your mouth/nose with both ends of scarf, or the tie vs. tuck method.

    Didt work, even went to just glasses and a skull cap. Glasses still fogged, ditched them on last nights ride. Wore contacts today... So much better.... Super warm with goggles and a balaclava and perfect vision the whole way.


    #canadastrong
  • 11-26-2014
    rogbie
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Didt work, even went to just glasses and a skull cap. Glasses still fogged, ditched them on last nights ride. Wore contacts today... So much better.... Super warm with goggles and a balaclava and perfect vision the whole way.


    #canadastrong

    Eliminate the variables. Glad you found something that works. There's not much that's universal, besides gravity.