Getting sweaty during commute- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Getting sweaty during commute

I go to college at Michigan State so I obviously ride my bike everywhere on campus. This summer I'll be interning at Boeing in California. From what I hear theres a nice paved trail that goes along that beach that I could ride to work, which is ~8 miles. I'd love to commute, but I'm wondering how you guys deal with getting sweaty on your way to work. I'll have to wear dress pants and a button up shirt to work. In 80 degree heat I'll be sweating like crazy even on the short ride.

Do you all just wear different clothes on the ride and then change in a bathroom or something once you get to work? What do you recommend for me?

Thanks for you input!

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I change in the bathroom before starting work. The thing is that I use baby wipes to wipe off the excess sweat and funk before putting on my work clothes.

Mar 2008
    I would check to see if there might be a locker for you to keep some of your stuff there. I would also bring some extra deodorant just in case.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    I know some buildings for big companies have their own locker rooms (no experience myself just what my friends tell me) so you might even be able to just do a quick morning shower once you get to work.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Leave a set of clothes at work, or start earlier in the day and take a nice casual ride, as not to break a heavy sweat.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    When I first started commuting, I got pannier garment bags to carry my clothes and it worked great. Sometimes, I plan ahead and leave clothes at work (I leave space in a lockable drawer for clothes).

I always leave shoes, baby wipes, deodorant, and hair stuff at work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I use a trunk bag/rear rack (with fold down panniers, but hardly ever neccessary) to carry the days work clothing in. I leave work shoes and belt at the office. Rolling my shirt and dockers works well for keeping wrinkles to a minimum. Change in Restroom at work, use paper towels to take a PTA bath if necessary. I ride to work just after sunrise, so it is still nice and cool. Also leaves me more afternoon time to take longer rides on the way home.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    One place I worked I had 9 mile commute and I would change in the bathroom stall.

One thing that helped cool me down was while sittin' on the toilet I'd pour some water down my back and front.I had a washcloth and a small towel to dry off.

Afghan bath ftw!

Another place I worked with a 4 or 5 mile commute had a little workout room with a shower, that came in handy... and I felt much more civilized!

I'm also gonna go out on a limb and say have a look at a golden eagle or staton inc. bicycle engine kit.

Feb 2004
    I take a shower at work, and I bring clean socks and underwear ..I work as a surgical tech.

My Brain Hurts!
    I second a lot of comments here.

I carry what I love to call a shower in a bag. It is flushable wipes, deodorant, a washcloth and a small dry towel. (it also has a toothbrush, toothpaste and floss picks, but that is not o topic here..) I also leave in plenty enough time for a casual ride to work and time to change and freshen up. Extra clothes at work are also a plus, just in case.

All is transported in a water tight bag...for rain or read my signature...that was done once on the way to work...

I have extra clothed with me and the shower in a bag anyway as I am in sales and do not want to call on people in the summer smelling like an old plowhorse or with giant sized sweat stains on my shirt. I have 2 or 3 undershirts and one shirt in my office or van all the time.

If your company has a washroom with lockers and a shower, well, you're one of the lucky ones!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member

Don't forget the Waterless Handwash

When I'm changing in the stall, I do a quick rub down with a generous amount of waterless alcohol hand sanitizer. That will kill any smelly funk, probably want to keep it away from those special areas though. I keep two days worth of clothes in a garmet bag at work.
    Just Ride!

mtbr member

Shower for me..

I am one of the lucky few that has this option once I arrive in the office. I will have a shower bag and clothes at the office for each day.
    Chubbs

There is a difference between the illusion of freedom and the reality of freedom

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sabala
    One place I worked I had 9 mile commute and I would change in the bathroom stall.

One thing that helped cool me down was while sittin' on the toilet I'd pour some water down my back and front.I had a washcloth and a small towel to dry off.

Afghan bath ftw!

Another place I worked with a 4 or 5 mile commute had a little workout room with a shower, that came in handy... and I felt much more civilized!

I'm also gonna go out on a limb and say have a look at a golden eagle or staton inc. bicycle engine kit.
    you taking an afghan bath..now that is one crazy image...still laughing while typing
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by mt bk
    When I'm changing in the stall, I do a quick rub down with a generous amount of waterless alcohol hand sanitizer. That will kill any smelly funk, probably want to keep it away from those special areas though. I keep two days worth of clothes in a garmet bag at work.
    I dunno...ifin a rider was kind of twisted........

Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PCC
    I change in the bathroom before starting work. The thing is that I use baby wipes to wipe off the excess sweat and funk before putting on my work clothes.
    My situation has changed. The new job has showers! Woohoo!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've found that the baby wipes help quite a bit, especially if you put on dry, clean clothes immediately after wiping off. If you don't have showers available, take one in the morning before your ride. I guess I'm also lucky to be commuting to a chemistry department, as I can walk into the room kept at 4 Celsius to cool off on hot days.

Members who have read this thread: 0