Getting a CX commuter bike. What tires for a mix of terrain?- Mtbr.com
    yep

Getting a CX commuter bike. What tires for a mix of terrain?

I'm getting laid off from my job that's a 50 minute drive away, and I've now gotten a new job that's just a few miles away. So it's time to commute!

I'm probably going to be getting a Squid Bike Rattlecan (BIKE INFO ? Squid Bikes). I want a fun, nimble bike that I can ride pretty much anywhere and also get to work on. For the commuting days, it will pretty much be all tarmac. On the off days, and days where I just want to go for a cruise, I'll ride more on grass and dirt (hardpack, and loose gritty single-track. Usually dry). I'm trying to figure out what kind of tires to throw on it to maximize both situations.

Also, tubed - tubeless? This is my first bike like this and I'm completely clueless.

Thanks

V-Shaped Rut
    I went around with tubed vs tubeless. I think if you're gonna be on the road a lot tubed with relatively high pressures works. I was running conti cx race which were nice everywhere but man did they wear fast. I'm now running conti cx speed which have less traction for dirt but roll and wear better for road. They're fine for dry dirt, gravel, etc. would want to run them at speed on wet dirt or gravel.

mtbr member
    Kenda Happy Medium Pro in 40c: this tire.

I use it for commuting and recreational rides on single track. I get about 1.5 years out of a rear tire, 2 with a front rotated to rear. Not sure on actual milage, but I ride nearly every day at least 20 miles.

Works well at high pressures (I ride at 70psi on road) and lower pressures (35-40 off road).

The low center profile rolls nicely, while the knobs do their job in cornering. Most of my off road riding is on dry trails with dust over hard pack. They hold very well in aggressive cornering.

As for tubeless, I don't feel it offers and advantage for commuting. The pressures are low <65psi and the set-up may be messy. Besides that, you'll still need to carry a tube and pump for possible flats.

mtbr member
    My opinion/experience is that for most riding on or off road a minimally treaded tire is best in terms of all-aroundability. Especially true if dry conditions and hardpack. Panaracer Pasella in 35-38mm width is about the best performance/value ratio out there for a one tire for errythang.

CB of the East
    I got 2 of these in the 32mm size for $36. (BOGO deal at Bike Tires Direct) My first ride was today on tar and gravel. They seemed good. https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...yclocross-tire

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    My opinion/experience is that for most riding on or off road a minimally treaded tire is best in terms of all-aroundability. Especially true if dry conditions and hardpack. Panaracer Pasella in 35-38mm width is about the best performance/value ratio out there for a one tire for errythang.
    I would agree with and say go with a TG model for the extra protection and you will be fine. I race gravel on a Pasela.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    ~ Kenda Happy Medium 700c x 32
    ~ Continental Cyclocross Speed 700c x 35
    ~ Vittoria Cross XN 700c x 32
    ~ Panaracer Gravel King 700c x 32
    ~ Schwalbe CX Comp 700c x 35
    ~ Clement LAS 700c x 33

Of the bunch, the Clement LAS is the lightest(225g). Loves hardpack and some loose dirt. Great off-camber grip and speed. Comfort is good enough for 70 mile commutes. The ultimate commuter tire....IMHO.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    These are cheap...threw one on the front of my surly steamroller and it grips well and rolls fast...

Duro Ellie Mae Cross Tire > Components > Tires > Dirt Tires | Jenson USA