Getting to commute.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Getting to commute.

So I am finally getting to do something Ive always wanted to do, commute to work on my bike. In the past, a number of reason have kept me from being able to do this; most of them involved having to ride down an eight lane freeway. Now I work just across town and its a quick 6.5 mile trip.
    The only people that really 'commute' around here are the Mormons so I really dont live in a super bike friendly place. But due to a fiasco with the local court which is to long to explain I have to wait a long time to get my drivers license.
    So I am left with one option to get to work.... I will finally have to ride to work. I must say Im actually very excited about it. I dont mind the not-so-bike-friendly area, I dont mind the sweltering heat, and I wont mind the odd looks Im bound to get from the guys at work.

So Im off this week to buy my dedicated commuter. Im almost 100% decided on one but I thought I would come here and see what yall have to say about my choice. As this is my first commuter bike Im a total noob and not sure what exactly I want/need in the bike.

Here be me choices in order:
    Kona Worldbike
    pros I see= Cheap, comes with fenders, comes with 3spd hub, cheap, not flashy(I dont want my bike to get jacked)
    cons I see= Its going to be difficult to find a dealer near me, its Cheap so lower quality?
    http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=worldbike

Gary Fisher Gritty
    pros its not overly expensive, its a popular brand here, ie: Ill be able to order it easily, and its simple.
    cons Ill have to buy fenders and I want a IGH so Ill have to get that which makes the bikes initial cost go up a bit.
    http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/gritty

Haro Sanford
    pros I have a good relationship and a long relationship with the local haro dealer. I really like all my other Haros Ive had and by default I have to consider this bike.
    cons Its the most expensive up front, I would really prefer steel, I dont want a geared bike, its very flashy and way to nice looking to leave locked outside for any period of time.
    http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/tab2_subNav6.php

Im also open to suggestion of other bikes.

mtbr member
    As someonbe who almost got killed riding a bike with a rear reflector and helmet and no other safety of visibility equipment, I suggest you read the "Another thread about lights" thread, here somewhere. Your life IS at stake. Only YOU can keep it safe. Welcome to the club.

Bedwards Of The West
    I like the looks of that Kona. How hilly is your area? if 3 speeds is an option, that seems like a cool one. However, at 6.5 miles you might want something with some more gearing/top speed (enter the Haro). You'll have to decide for yourself what your priorities are.

The aluminum can be an advantage if you're in the rust belt... my commuter is aluminum and I love not having to worry about it in the slushy sloppy winter.

What are your storage options? Is locking it up outside your only option or is there a chance you can keep it inside somewhere at work?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If you're looking for an inexpensive, steel commuter "mountain bike" without derailleurs it's going to be hard to beat the Kona. I don't think you have to worry about Kona's quality, and they have a good warranty relative to other manufacturers. Have you considered singlespeed road bikes? They will get you to work faster and with less effort because of the lower rolling resistance of skinny road tires. I'm thinking along the lines of the Redline 925 (www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes/commute/2010--925).
    -Gary Fisher Paragon 29'er Hardtail
    -Surly 1x1
    -Xtracycle'd trek 6000
    -Frankenbike tandem- welded two Schwinn Varsities

Moderator Moderator
    I like the Kona, unless you have hills to worry about. The Haro is nice and probably faster but may not be worth it if you don't want to worry about gears, parking security, etc. Even if you could avg 20mph on the Haro & only 12mph on the Kona, you'd only take 10-12 more mins longer to get there on the Kona on your 6.5 mi trip.

weirdo
    The Kona looks like a good buy to me too, with the same comments that C.B. and Xplorer made. Coaster brake plus two hand brakes? Interresting. The price sounds reasonable to me, not one of those "too good to be true" questionable buys.

I don`t see any problems with the Fisher either and the only issue with the Harro is that you`re starting to get up in more money, including paying for a drivetrain that you don`t plan on using (unless you figure to strip it for use on a different bike). For the Fisher and the Haro, you might want to double check and be sure they have rack mounting bosses- not a deal killer, but they make life a lot easier. The fender mounts on the Kona can do double duty if there aren`t separate rack bosses.

Other options would include any single speed or (my favorite) a $100 90s mountain bike plus your IG hub setup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I live north of Houston so really no hills to worry about, and rust isnt an issue.
    I doubt they will let me keep it inside at work, Im sure its a safety violation somehow, though there are no supervisors or managers there during my shift and our lead is pretty laid back so Ill have to ask him.

Im not tooo terribly worried about cars on the road. I have already mapped out a route that has little traffic and I work an overnight shift, go in at 4pm out at 4am, so there are even fewer cars out when Ill be out. However, my commuter will be lit up... very brightly.

I dont think I have been this excited about a new bike since I bought my first legit mountain bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    http://www.khsbicycles.com/06_urban_x_10.htm

KHS Urban X, Cheap, multi gear and gear for commuting(Fender,rack, side stand).

Get the dark chocolate one. I have a 2009 one which is in black.

One Colorful Rider
    If there is a Bianchi dealer around you checkout the San Jose they were on close out from Bianchi.
    http://www.bianchiusa.com/archives/0...jose-flat-bar/

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Normbilt
    If there is a Bianchi dealer around you checkout the San Jose they were on close out from Bianchi.
    Closeout form the factory? Did they stop making them?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well I ended up getting a bike that is nothing I wanted but is turning out to be everything I need. Its a geared, aluminum, Specialized Sirrus. I rode it and it just felt right. I was never able to find anyone to get the Kona from unless I drove for hours.

I have been using it everyday now for a week or so. I must say I have no idea why I didnt do this earlier. By car it would take me 12-15min to get to work depending on traffic and lights. Its only taking me and extra 10min to get there now.

Few issues I discovered; first, a backpack is a horrible choice to carry gear when you live in Texas. Its way to hot to have an extra ten plus pounds on your back. I was dripping sweat. So I ordered a rack and this: http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/MTXTrunkBagDXP

Second thing is dealing with the heat and humidity I carry two large bottles of water and they both are gone by the time I make it to work, which comes out to exactly 5.49 miles, and its not even into summer yet. Gonna have to add more bottle cages. And thinking about switching shifts at work so I ride only at night when its cool.
    And these rain storms. My first day commuting on bike it stormed and not one of those barely raining California storms I mean a black out the world Texas thunderstorm. I dont mind riding in the rain, its keeps you cool, but I know no matter what I do cars cant see me when they can barely see their own hood. Makes me glad we have big shoulders on the roads here.

Other than that I really am enjoying getting to ride everyday. Im glad I ended up with a geared rig, but the aluminum fork on this bike has got to go. So does the saddle. Specialized BG saddles have never been nice to me.
    Im already getting stuff together to build a single speed road bike to also use as a commuter.

Members who have read this thread: 0