Geometry help here please

Printable View

• 06-05-2010
    Entrenador
    Geometry help here please
    I posted recently here about choosing between three different frames that are designed for touring: Vaya, Saga and LHT. When I last owned a road bike, I found a 57cm TT fit fairly well, but I'm not a huge fan of the drop bar platform.

Just found the Saga frame set on sale, but now I'm wondering: If I decide to go with a more upright bar configuration (mustache, albatross, mary or even a j-bar perhaps), should I still be considering the same size frame, or something longer on the top tube?

Who out there is riding a touring-type frame with the bars I mentioned above? And, what did you determine works best size wise while getting your set up right?

Thanks again.
  • 06-05-2010
    rodar y rodar
    I`m far from a geometry guru, but I do have some thoughts on the matter. TT length makes a lot of sense to me when you`re talking about different bikes the same bars. But if you go to a different bar type, with your hands in a much different place in relation to the stem, I think you need to look more at the reach that you get with X top tube and Y bars, then adjust TT on the new bike to give that reach with the bars you plan to use. Makes sense to me, anyway.
  • 06-06-2010
    nativeson
    yo....
    just get the right size top tube and adjust the stem length. i'm pretty sure most road frames have a little shorter tt than mtb to accommodate for drop bars. i'd probably think the difference is probably anywhere from .5' to .75" or 10-20mm. in my experience even 5mm makes a difference in tt length and the way the bike feels/handles especially on the dirt, or even loaded on dirt. i have some nitto moustache bars on an old 80's steel road frame and the reach is actually longer than traditional drop bars, meaning you actually need a shorter stem, so you might wanna take that into consideration.

saga looks nice, let us know if it works out. i've owned a few soma's and have been impressed w/what you get for the $$.

after we saw you last weekend we ended up making it over bolinas ridge, over west ridgecest rd, down to pantoll, edgewood rd (some bonus singletrack thru pipeline) mill valley, sausilito, to sf. the views of tomales bay, tam watershed, stinson beach, bolinas lagoon, san pablo bay will be forever burned into my memory. awesome way to spend the memorial day weekend. i got home pretty late and powered thru the last four days of school. summer's here and my buddy and i are figurin out where to go next, hopefully big sur. oh yeah, the hunter performed flawlessly, i was screamin down some of the dirt sections on bolinas ridge. hope you make it thru the end of the school year just fine, hopefully we'll see you sometime.