gearing for SS conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

gearing for SS conversion

Greetings,

Looking to convert and old Raleigh M50 geared to a paved path / Dad (ride with the kids) / beach vacation / commuter type bike.

I'd like to ditch the gears and keep it simple. I've got a SS 29er for off-road use geared as 32 x 19 I love. It's lack of maintenance is a thing of beauty.

The Raleigh has 26 inch wheels, and I will be running a non aggressive tire for pavement and chat surfaces.

What gearing would you suggest for this described scenario?

Thinking FLAT terrain.

Thank

mtbr member
    Sheldon's Gear Calculator work out what you currently ride and go from there. Maybe 55inches YMMV
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have an older Cannondale M400 that I use for the same purpose. Rugged yet cruiser-fied (love child of a threeway: rigid 26er, townie and cruiser) and perfect for almost everything so long as it is not the extreme of either speed or terrain (mud). I run mine at 38x22, it gives me just a small amount of gear inches above what my 32x20 SS 29er has, not much mind so it isnt a fast bike by any means but it climbs very, very well, Is easy to pedal so far as energy expenditure goes...comfy as all hell and can be taken from the trails to the beach to the rough and bumpy city streets and lives superbly on them all and travels at an acceptable/appropriate speed for all of them.

I have 2.35" Schalbe Big Apple LiteSkins on it, great rolling resistance, great balloon plushness at lower PSI, at higher PSI it handles everything and is agile..great for everything I want this bike to do. Single Speed converted so reliable as a ball-peened hammer. Just dust and go, lube when u remember.

I'm sure a 32x17 or 18 would be its equivalent but the 38 is what I ended up with..it only cost me $40. If you are solid regarding your intended terrain being all flat I would think you can go with a 38x18 quite easily or 32x16. A bit more speed and a bit more energy expenditure when pedaling but not a huge amount.

But if you still need to climb I think I've found what is perfect for me for 'everything'.
    Last edited by Moozh; 09-20-2010 at 03:59 AM.

local trails rider
    What I have:

Trail SS: 26er with 2.4" tires and 34/18
    Street SS: 26er with Bontrager Hank 2.2" slicks and 36/16 or 36/15

It is not particularly fast but lets me cope with some headwinds and gentle uphills too.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    I find people get lost in the whole ratio discussion when you shouldn't focus much on it. Sheldon's calculator is good, this one is better: http://software.bareknucklebrigade.c...it.applet.html

Take into consideration: crank arm length, wheel and tire size, then chainring & cog teeth.

Many stock SS commuter road bikes come with 46/16 on 700x28c wheels which is about 76.9 gear inches. I run 80, totally flat with one moderate climb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    very cool calculator! So I am indeed a slow poke trudging along at about 10mph..

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'd be aiming for 65 gear inches, personally. If I were doing lots of hills or really long rides with fat tires, 60. I am personally very poor at cruising unless I'm with someone.

mtbr member
    I run 26" wheels at 42/18. That's about 60 gear inches. My tires are worn down WTB Nanoraptors (too cheap to buy new commuter tires). Gearing is too easy on flat sections, but I have to compensate for a some hills, including a long one.

I like this calculator: http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    well Jeez..I must be a weakling. My 'comfort pedalling effort' gearing puts me at 45.6 gear inches. I dunno...it simply feels.."perfect"..dont want it any harder than that on this bike and well, I have unavoidable hills that I have to climb. Well, never said I was trying for podiums.. "hurrumph" **-sulks with arms folded while pouting**

Members who have read this thread: 0