full fenders for 26 x 2.2 tires?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

full fenders for 26 x 2.2 tires?

Got a new commute that is a mix of city and park. I have a few cross bikes with fenders but I'm thinking it would be really fun to build up my old steel Ibis Mojo with a rigid fork and 26 x 2.2 Maxxis Holy Rollers. I like Planet Bike Cascadia fenders but they only go to 1.9. Any other options for full fenders with wider 26 inch tires? Otherwise I can go with 26 x 1.9 Contis but the Maxxis tires just look like fun. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I've got 26 x 2.4 Maxxis Holy Rollers on my commuter and a few months ago I felt the need for full fenders as the SKS X-tra Dry ones always got me dirty after a ride in wet conditions. So I installed a set of the widest SKS Bluemels which are actually meant for tires up to 2.35" wide but they fit perfectly and won't rub even without the need to raise them too high. Also they have a nice clean look! The SKS Chromoplastics are an option as well, as they will also fit tires up to 2.35" wide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paark View Post
    I've got 26 x 2.4 Maxxis Holy Rollers on my commuter and a few months ago I felt the need for full fenders as the SKS X-tra Dry ones always got me dirty after a ride in wet conditions. So I installed a set of the widest SKS Bluemels which are actually meant for tires up to 2.35" wide but they fit perfectly and won't rub even without the need to raise them too high. Also they have a nice clean look! The SKS Chromoplastics are an option as well, as they will also fit tires up to 2.35" wide.
    Thanks! Just checked out the SKS P65 Chromoplastic at the LBS and they looked decent. Are the Bluemels nicer?

And now you got me thinking about 2.4 Holy Rollers! How do you like them for a mix of pavement, dirt and gravel, wet and dry?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The Bluemels should be a bit cheaper but as far as I know, they are quite similar with the Chromoplastics. There are a few differences though: the Chromoplastics have a different look to them and are made of some kind of more reliable material. Not sure which exactly . I think the Chromoplastics might have a few more features like reflectors and mudflaps but then again I've seen them on some models of Bluemels as well.
    I've used the Bluemels for about a month on my everyday commuter and so far they've performed well. The only small problem I've ran into is the attachments of my rear fender have been shaken loose once (that might occur to the Chromoplastics also as the attachments are the same) but that's probably due to the roads - I ride every day in the Old Town of Tallinn which has cobble stone roads that give the bike quite a shake sometimes. Other than that, the Bluemels have been keeping me clean!

As for the Holy Rollers, I really like them. Have had them for about 4 months now and I have no complaints. They roll way better than my previous knobby Kendas did. They are quite versatile but not very good on dirt or sand, then again they're not meant for dirt and sand anyways! On pavement and gravel they work really well and they also have no problem co-operating with wet and dry conditions. Have some 400 miles on them but no wear at all! The sidewalls are quite soft so they make the ride smooth and comfy as well. What I love about them is the possibility to take an off-road shortcut without having to worry about flats so go for wide tires for commuting!

You can check out my bike with Bluemels and Holy Rollers in the Post your commuter photos! thread on the last page!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paark View Post
    The Bluemels should be a bit cheaper but as far as I know, they are quite similar with the Chromoplastics. There are a few differences though: the Chromoplastics have a different look to them and are made of some kind of more reliable material. Not sure which exactly . I think the Chromoplastics might have a few more features like reflectors and mudflaps but then again I've seen them on some models of Bluemels as well.
    I've used the Bluemels for about a month on my everyday commuter and so far they've performed well. The only small problem I've ran into is the attachments of my rear fender have been shaken loose once (that might occur to the Chromoplastics also as the attachments are the same) but that's probably due to the roads - I ride every day in the Old Town of Tallinn which has cobble stone roads that give the bike quite a shake sometimes. Other than that, the Bluemels have been keeping me clean!

As for the Holy Rollers, I really like them. Have had them for about 4 months now and I have no complaints. They roll way better than my previous knobby Kendas did. They are quite versatile but not very good on dirt or sand, then again they're not meant for dirt and sand anyways! On pavement and gravel they work really well and they also have no problem co-operating with wet and dry conditions. Have some 400 miles on them but no wear at all! The sidewalls are quite soft so they make the ride smooth and comfy as well. What I love about them is the possibility to take an off-road shortcut without having to worry about flats so go for wide tires for commuting!

You can check out my bike with Bluemels and Holy Rollers in the Post your commuter photos! thread on the last page!
    Nice! Thanks! I'll post pics of mine in a month or two when I get it all set up.