FS 29er as a Commuter (X-Post in 29er Forum)- Mtbr.com
    ADIDAB

New question here. FS 29er as a Commuter (X-Post in 29er Forum)

Here's my dilemma. After a major 100km race where my body got beat up pretty bad - I was riding a fully rigid Soma so probably deserved it - I've decided I want to step up to an FS 29er. I really enjoyed my first marathon and want to do more, but my body will not be able to handle a fully rigid in these sorts of conditions.

My problem is that I can only have one bike, so the FS I choose will also need to fulfil commuter duties as well - 25km each way on the road. My other issue is money (or lack of it!) so it needs to be built on a budget, plus being in Australia I need to factor in shipping costs and the like.

I have my eye on the Voodoo Canzo, or maybe even a Kona Hei Hei 2-9, but am worried about the level of suspension bob when it comes to on-road duties (up to 75% of my riding each week will be commuting). It's been nearly 10 years since I was last on a full squish. I realise that FS is a major compromise on road but I have to make that sacrifice so that I can complete marathon races.

My questions are this:

• Are there any Voodoo riders out there that use their Canzo to commute? If so, how do you find it? What about other FS commuters?
    • What is the RS Monarch shock like with regards to bob? Is there are lockout or 'pro-pedal' like function?
    • Any tips or tricks from FS commuters on eliminating any bob?

On a slightly different note - does anyone race their Canzo? How is it? Are their any funny little quirks about them I should be aware of?

Hope this makes some sense...

Cheers and Beers.
    My LBS | Riding this and this

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    my tip for eliminating bob would be to ride a rigid bike, or to make sure that your rear and front shocks have lock out. have you considering getting a suspension fork for your hardtail? it would save you some money and you might find that it fits your needs.
    check out my new offroad fixed gear site, tell me your thoughts: www.muddyfixedgear.com

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    If you can lock out the suspension (rear especially, if you set the front stiff the little bit of compliance is nice), then you'll be fine, as it'll ride like a rigid. I ride a hardtail for MTB and road, and just crank the fork a little stiffer on road (it's stiff already) and I get no pedal bob in the fork at all, so with a rear lockout, you should be fine.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You may have to spin more than standing and hammering. I'd get a second wheelset with slicks or semi-slicks depending on your preference. he second set obviously doesn't have to be expensive, Jenson has some decent 29er wheelsets for a little less than 200 dollars that should last you a long time. With tires and a casssette you could still keep it under 300, and a second wheelset is always good to have if you only have one bike.

mtbr member
    why can you only have 1 bike? if its space i understand. if its money build up a old road SS for $100.

Double-metric mtb man
    I have a SS roadie I use for part of the time and my FS 26" machine I also use. I'm blessed with being able to commute on some MUTs and singletrack, but even road riding it, the FS works just fine.

I have a platform valve in my shock, so I can't give you a lot of pointers there other than increase the preload or air pressure a bit and try not to stand and hammer.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mbtr member
    paging commutergrl....
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Members who have read this thread: 0