Front light setup- Mtbr.com
    I'd rather be on my bike

Front light setup

I am looking for the brightest and preferably smallest LED blinker for the front of my bike. My only requirements are bright and USB charging is an absolute must. Really long battery life and small would be great but are secondary. Some of our night rides last upwards of 5-6 hours depending on the night. I currently have a Niterider Lumina 350 and 700 and can use the 350 for the rides but since we are in the city most of the time, having that bright of a continual light is overkill. It does have a flashing mode but I have found that it can induce seizures since it is a very rapid strobe.

I need to be seen not necessarily see since we are in lighted areas for the majority of the ride. Any suggestions? I currently have a Planet Bike Super Flash Micro w/USB charging for the rear, and it is absolutely perfect with a 36 hour run time off a 2-4 hour charge. It is bright and offers two blinks at different brightness and rates. PB doesn't make a matching headlight for this model apparently.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It doesn't necessarily fit the bill because its bigger, but the Cygolite 500 has a cool "ripple" setting. Maybe some of the other cygolite offerings have it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have a Light and Motion Urban 350 and have been quite happy with it. The full bright mode is bright enough for riding through the parts of town without streetlights. Strobe/ blink mode is bright and a little slower than some. Might be worth a look.

mtbr member
    Came across this startup:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ike-light-go-f

Looks interesting.

I'd rather be on my bike
    That is very bright however is complete overkill for my group rides in the city. This is a harder task than I thought so far and the YouTube videos really lack.

jrm
    mtbr member
    A while back i called L&M to get another battery for my HID headlamp when the guy offered me 40% off a new light. So i ordered a battery and a Taz 1200. Its capable of 1200 lumens which reduces burn time to 3.5 hours. For commuting i use the pulsing option which gives me multiple days of use before having to recharge. Charge times are shortest using a 2.0 amp laptop charger. If you use a 1.0amp ipod or cell phone charger the charging time triples. Totally self contained and operated using the multi function power button to toggle thru the various lighting options. Uses a rubber strap to secure the light to your bar. Good looking and compact design.

Ok now the gripes. The multi function power button can be kinda tricky to use in order to get to the sub menu lighting options such as the race setting which is great since it alters the brightness between med and hi extending the burn time. But its a pain to find and once you think you have it selected theres no way of knowing because the light lacks any kind of notification system other then telling you when the lights low or about to die. The thick rubber strap used to secure the light to the bar is kinda tough to get a good grip on so your hand will slide off and before you know it your either/or bashing your hand into the bar or stem and the lights tumbling to the ground. It'd be nice if the light had a mounting system or a longer strap so that you could get a better hold on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I like my L&M lights, but I detest how everyone, especially them, has these silicon strap mounts. If I'm throwing 700 lumens, I want to be able to have a mount that I can aim and then pop the light in and out of when I have to lock up or leave the bike outside.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    cygolite 300 has a couple awesome flasher settings that would easily last your ride time, probably double that. USB charging as well.

the cool nerd
    I've been super happy commuting with the Knog Blinder Road 3 in blink mode. I've uased AyUps for years to commute, but I'm getting lazy and like the USB recharging of the Knogs and their internal batteries. They retail for ~20% lower than the Knog website suggests..
    "The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

Moderator Moderator
    Consider the Portland Design Works offerings, even the non-USB ones (AA), which have 25-100 hour run times. https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/lights I got a Cosmic Dreadnought for cheap (currently $25 on Backcountry), and it is super-compact and bright on flash mode. Only complaint I have is a screwdriver is needed to move it from bike to bike - but only if they have different size bars.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by KentheKona View Post
    I like my L&M lights, but I detest how everyone, especially them, has these silicon strap mounts. If I'm throwing 700 lumens, I want to be able to have a mount that I can aim and then pop the light in and out of when I have to lock up or leave the bike outside.
    I agree, and that is why I like the Niterider lights that I have. The mount is great, and the light just slides off for easy removal.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsman View Post
    I've been super happy commuting with the Knog Blinder Road 3 in blink mode. I've uased AyUps for years to commute, but I'm getting lazy and like the USB recharging of the Knogs and their internal batteries. They retail for ~20% lower than the Knog website suggests..
    I just watched a YouTube video of that Blinder Road 3 and that is more what I am looking for I think. I like the size, and the brightness is good enough. How is the battery in flash mode?

since 4/10/2009
    I actually like the high speed strobe effect in a commuting light. If you stare right at it from close range, sure, it's disorienting. I've noticed that at a distance (like what a car would be on the road), it's more like a pulse and serves to get their attention better.

In a group ride setting, though, you certainly don't need tons of brightness, though. Most of what'll be brightness-appropriate for a group ride setting will NOT be USB-rechargeable.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KentheKona View Post
    I forgot to mention that i dont have much room on my bar b/c of my GPS mount, the taper of my salsa cowbell and my expert bar taping job so it does make it tough to get the light secured so it doesn't pivot forward on bumps. There is a way to use the helmet mount on the bar and then strap the light to it. I havent tried it yet but @ least its worth a try.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I actually like the high speed strobe effect in a commuting light. If you stare right at it from close range, sure, it's disorienting. I've noticed that at a distance (like what a car would be on the road), it's more like a pulse and serves to get their attention better.

In a group ride setting, though, you certainly don't need tons of brightness, though. Most of what'll be brightness-appropriate for a group ride setting will NOT be USB-rechargeable.
    I guess that I should clarify what exactly I am doing with this light. I need a blinker only, nothing continual as our rides are mainly on lit streets. This is to be seen only, not to see with. I keep my Lumina in my pocket for the ride home afterwards. I would prefer this blinker to be very bright so I can be seen. My Lumina does offer a strobe setting but in a group ride it is massive overkill and even for me as a rider it is very annoying.

CB of the East
    The 40 lumen walking mode on the lumina is too dim? That gives an 18 hour burn time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am clearly missing something here. For a navigation light, I understand why one might want to set the mounting hardware and slide the light on and off. Why is the "rubber band" or "watch strap" mount of L&M an issue for a front blinker? I slap my lights on and off at school most days (the days when I ride the bike) and getting them aligned is a few seconds at worst, I had been thinking that dialing in a blinker to not blind or "dazzle" motorists should be even easier.

the cool nerd
    I haven't had the battery die yet.. I've had the lights ~1 month, 75-90 minutes commute each way, and I've been charging once during the week and sometime over the weekend.

I don't like the light on my helmet with the velcro held mount, although the mount works great for another light that I have (less power, but good for a helmet blinkie).
    "The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

mtbr member

Front light setup

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    I have a Light and Motion Urban 350 and have been quite happy with it. The full bright mode is bright enough for riding through the parts of town without streetlights. Strobe/ blink mode is bright and a little slower than some. Might be worth a look.
    I have the urban 500, love it.

500 full 350 second then 150
    Or so and then a 150 flash. Goes in and out like a wave not a strobe.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....