Front light options. Waterproof and no external battery- Mtbr.com
    V-Shaped Rut

Front light options. Waterproof and no external battery

Hey all I know there are other light threads but I'm looking for something fairly specific.

I commute in pre-dawn conditions, often in the rain and a mix of street and (sometimes a little bumpy) bike paths.

I don't need many multi-hours of light since it's 35 minutes there and 40 back. I really don't want to add an external battery pack and wires mounted to the bike. Worst case if it's dying on the way in I can charge it at work.

I do need waterproof since I live in the PacNW. Not water resistant, it's gonna get soaked sometimes.

Suggestions?

I'd rather be on my bike
    Every light that I have had that is water resistant has gotten absolutely drenched in a downpour more than once. As long as the USB port is covered you should be fine. I like the Cygolite Metro 400 since it has nice modes and the battery seems to last quite a while. I was going to suggest the Niterider Lumina 700/750 but that is almost twice the price. I have used both in downpours and there has never been an issue with either. The Lumina has the USB port underneath the light so the chance of water getting in there is almost nill since it will be either mounted to your helmet or bars.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The good news is there are a lot of options that will work for you, so you'll just have to decide how bright and how much you want to spend.

I like the Cygolite Metro series lights, very good value per lumen and I've been using mine for 3 years in all kinds of nasty weather with no problems. The Metro 550 (550 lumens) can be had for $50 on Amazon.

Cateye makes some nice lights as well, the Volt 700 is a pretty solid value at around $100 and if I remember right can actually put out close to 800 lumens.

Pretty much any name brand light on the market will last over an hour on the highest setting. 1.5-2 hours on high is typically for self contained lights. When they say water resistant they are usually IPX-6 or 7 rated, which means you could drop them under water and they would still work when you pull them out, but don't go scuba diving with them. Heavy rain is no problem.

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Every light that I have had that is water resistant has gotten absolutely drenched in a downpour more than once. As long as the USB port is covered you should be fine. I like the Cygolite Metro 400 since it has nice modes and the battery seems to last quite a while. I was going to suggest the Niterider Lumina 700/750 but that is almost twice the price. I have used both in downpours and there has never been an issue with either. The Lumina has the USB port underneath the light so the chance of water getting in there is almost nill since it will be either mounted to your helmet or bars.
    I was looking at the nightrider lumina 750 since right after I found this I saw there was an actual lighting subforum. Budget is good, but the diff between 50 and 90 really doesn't matter considering I save $80 a month in gas biking to work.

Since you have both, how is the light diff between them? I'm in completely unlighted conditions parts of my ride my current claimed 280 lumen light is only really working well if fully charged. When it starts to fade it's pretty sketchy.

Good to know about the water resistance. Guess I'm a little wary of manufacturer claims since buying some 'waterproof' shoe covers that get soaked through in a light mist.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Well the Lumina vs Metro is no comparison for me since they are different lumens. I like the Metro a lot more than the Lumina simply for the fact that the blinking mode on the Lumina is near seizure inducing. It cannot be used at night. Day time they both can, but at night, only the Metro allows me to use the blinking mode. I prefer that for part of my commute since I am in a mostly well lit area. Once I drop into the neighborhoods, simply put it on full mode for the rest of the commute home.

One thing that I have found so far is that in really cold weather, the Lumina battery doesn't last all that long. I found myself without a light one night this past winter due to the battery not really holding much of a charge in the really cold temps. You probably will not experience those kinds of temps but it is something to consider.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

V-Shaped Rut
    Awesome, really appreciate the review! I think I'll go with the lumina. I run the light full on as a headlight since I'm in the dark a good portion of the ride and I don't encounter a ton of cars on the way in anyway.

mtbr member
    I have a Bontrager Ion 700 and am quite happy with it. I usually run it at the 400 lumen setting instead of the full-on 700 lumens to preserve battery because I find that bright enough. The USB port is on the underside and has a firmly fitting rubber cover. I run it bar mounted and it disconnects from the mount very easily, even with gloves. (Even the quickest errand stop on my route will find my bike stripped of anything not nailed to the frame so I always take my lights and computer inside with me.) I did just buy a helmet mount for it so I might wear it now.
    I love riding my bike!

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    Awesome, really appreciate the review! I think I'll go with the lumina. I run the light full on as a headlight since I'm in the dark a good portion of the ride and I don't encounter a ton of cars on the way in anyway.
    I give the Lumina high marks, between my wife and I we have 4 of them. We have 2 750s and 2 of the older Pro 600s. The flash is too fast to use at night but they are fine in the day. I generally run mine on low or medium and kick it up to high when I need too. I've seem them recently for $75 on sale. (Niterider Lumina 750 Light > Accessories > Lighting > Front Lights | Jenson USA)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Cateye Volt 700.

Done.

Straight out tha traila
    I also have the Lumina 750, it worked great for about 2 months then it started to shut down by itself, then wouldn't light at all. REI exchanged it as defective so now I have another new one . Yep the UBS port is covered with a rubber snap in cover, and is directly over the mount, so the only way water would get up in there is to totally submerge it lol. I also like the rubber mount to the bars, it's solidly in place but you can still move it up or down with your hands so you can point it out more or to the ground to not blind cars/pedestrians. If you use a bike computer prepare for the light to shut it off, mine does, I'm waiting for a bar extension for the computer to come in to move it further away from the light hopefully that will work.

more info here on the Lumina in the lights thread http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...-a-989679.html
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

V-Shaped Rut
    I got the Lumina 750. Yes, that'll do! Very bright, easy to mount.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    ... If you use a bike computer prepare for the light to shut it off, mine does, I'm waiting for a bar extension for the computer to come in to move it further away from the light hopefully that will work.
    Until then, if you run it on high it will probably work if your rides are short enough.

Straight out tha traila
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Until then, if you run it on high it will probably work if your rides are short enough.
    That's what I've been doing, works most of the time, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    Hey all I know there are other light threads but I'm looking for something fairly specific.

I commute in pre-dawn conditions, often in the rain and a mix of street and (sometimes a little bumpy) bike paths.

I don't need many multi-hours of light since it's 35 minutes there and 40 back. I really don't want to add an external battery pack and wires mounted to the bike. Worst case if it's dying on the way in I can charge it at work.

I do need waterproof since I live in the PacNW. Not water resistant, it's gonna get soaked sometimes.

Suggestions?
    Have you bought any light yet?

I have gemini xera flashlight. It takes 18650s and runs on high for like 1,5h or more. and delivers about 800-900 or so lumens. 3 levels plus blinking at max power. The mount is junk though, both of them. But the light is very solid and well made.

I does not overheat on max. yeah btw i also have a gemini olympia last years model. and while stationary that sucker overheats on max and clocks down, even in -20C! It took a while but it still did. I think it has to do with the fact that there is much less metal in that one to act as a heatsink.

this one looks good too. I would have gotten this if I didn't get the gemini.
    Review: Jet Lites F3 - Mtbr.com

Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not sure if anyone cares anymore on this thread or is even still looking, but the Lumina 750 is on sale right now on bikesdirect for $64 with free shipping. It is an awesome light that I have been using for a couple years. I bought another one because that was such a great deal. Hope that helps.

Save up to 60% off new Road Bike wheelsets and road bikes | Save up to 60% off new bikes

CB of the East
    I'm having trouble not buying another one at the price even though I don't need on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I'm having trouble not buying another one at the price even though I don't need on.
    I know exactly how you feel. Had the same dilemma last week when I saw the sale. I gave in.

Ride Everything
    I recently reviewed several self-contained headlights, which you can read here.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything