Framekit for commuting and bikepacking in the future!?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Framekit for commuting and bikepacking in the future!?

Hi!

I currently have a singlespeed Miata Trailrunner which is used for my commuting. Nice and simple. But the cantilever brakes are not really my cup of tea, and even tough a V-brake physically fits the bosses the angle of the arm when the brakepads hits the rims are not ideal. The geometry is also abit too steep compared to my other rides. Just a normal modern frame would fit me better.

My brother left his old "dirt bike" lookalike for me to have. This has 2x8 speed altus drivetrain, a nice XT crankset i bought him after his Ruktion/hussefelt ISIS crankset started getting loose, Shimano M505 brakes, 31.8 handlebars and 70mm stem, deore hubs on Weinman 24mm rims and a 27.2mm seatpost.

These parts are perfectly good for the everyday rain/snow and do not attract thiefs.. I would like to build a bike that can fit fenders and a rear rack, some mounts on the fork would be appreciated but not neccesairy.

The Surly Troll fits perfectly, the problem is the 530$ pricetag. I can get a new 10sp deore/xt bike with similar specs for the same price as this frameset. The plus size option on the Troll is a big plus, but i'm not sure if i will use it. And i think the 26+ tyre size will be unavailable soon. So is there any other cheaper alternatives?

Bedwards Of The West
    I was gonna suggest an Ogre until I saw your last paragraph. You get what you pay for...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    yeah i know, i would love to own and ride a Surly..
    But when i get deore/slx 3x10 drivetrain, on a kinesis alloy frame and fork for the same money as the Surly frameset i think you know what is the sensible choice. This has to do with my currency ( NOK ) beeing very low at the moment. Everything foreign is expensive, so our "Norwegian' bikebrands are supercheap compared to importing something.