Frame recommendations 29x2.35- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Frame recommendations 29x2.35

Hi!

I'm going to build up a new commuter this spring and I'm searching for the right frame and could use some advise. I'm going to base it around a Schwalbe Big Apple or G-One 2.35 for speed and plush-ness, straightish mtb bars and run it geared not ss. I also have to be able to mount a front rack and basket. So far I have been thinking of a Surly Ogre but if anyone has any idea about alternative frames I would very much appreciate it

/ David

(Something along the lines of this pretty build by Blue Lug.)

Frame recommendations 29x2.35-ogre.jpg

They'll be a lot of folks recommending the Fargo at some point and they're right so I'd go with that.

mtbr member
    Just about any 29er frame made in the last 5 years should fit a 2.4" tire. If you want cheap, I'd look at a used 29er bike to build off of. If you want high quality, Surly would be nice. Kona too.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Man....with what you are asking, I would be thinking a custom Tange Cro-Moly steel frame. That size tire would feel really good with steel if you have budget. You never mentioned a price.

mtbr member
    These are 50mm Schwalbe on this 2013 El Mariachi, and it has lots of room for 2.35". Thought about going for larger tires---hesitated, and now here I am. I may move up some time this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking a budget around 1800$ for a complete bike with some stuff I have laying around. If I had a 29er I'd probably just buy a rigid fork with some brazeons, like an ogre fork or something. The Fargo/Ogre thing just made this a whole lot more complicated. There isn't a single Salsa to be testridden in the whole of Scandinavia and I've never ridden drops either. But it looks so good.
    Isn't the El Mariachi sortof replaced by the Timberjack now?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    you know what....I would contact Chris Herting @ 3dracing....he does custom frames and forks for great prices.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Karate Monkey or Ogre would work as well. My KM sports 29x2.3 plus fenders and front der. And a rear rack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Not sure if you've made a decision yet or not but I'd also consider a Velo Orange Piolet. I built one up last year to use for bikepacking as well as commuting, I'm constantly changing it up to suit my needs, its a very flexible frame and super comfortable. You can see some pics of my older setups below, I just threw on a new jones bar, some compass skin walls, a surly 8 pack rack and i'm waiting for a custom frame pack from rouge panda, then it'll be ready to go as my everyday ride for the season.

Velo Orange Piolet All-rounder - Pedal Room

VO Piolet Frameset - Piolet - Frames

PS I apologize if I bumped a post thats too old

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    No worries! Thanks for the bump! I have been looking at the VO Piolet so it's great to hear from someone who has one and uses like I plan to do. No purchase as of yet though...