Frame rack compatability- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Frame rack compatability

I was wondering how to tell if a mtn bike fram is rack compatible w/o anything but pictures.

In ages past they had those obvious mounts (that looked like disc brake mounts almost), are the two little holes above the der hangar what is used now?

Can you use a rack and disc brakes?

I know there are seat post racks as well (I already have one for a dual suspension), but I was wondering about a hard tail that could pull double duty (mtn bike or commuter).

Thanks for the help on the basics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Probably look at OMM racks for good disc brake compatiblity, especially if it has canti studs as well. Look for eyelets on the dropouts and up on the seatstays by the seatputs. Some just have holes tapped into the stays instead of brazed on eyelets.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yeah that holes tapped into stays was what I was talking about.

In the old days the braze on eyelets were obvious, but with the holes in the stays how can you tell if they are for a rack or not?

I know the OMM racks would work, but doggone they are a bit pricey for what I am looking for. This would be an extra bike anyway so it has to be a cheap HT and a cheap rack. I just figured I would buy a used hardtail and go from there.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    The holes in the seat stays and dropouts (if a bike has them as not all do) are threaded and are for mounting a rack.

Cheaper disc compatible racks than the OMM:
    http://www.topeak.com/products/Racks/ExplorerTubularRack_discMount
    http://www.topeak.com/products/Racks/SuperTouristDXTubularRack_disc

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

If there is a tapped hole...

on each seatstay about 5 or 6 inches above the rear tire they can be used for the top supports of a rack no problem. The lower mounts will be just above the drop outs. Yes you can use a rack with disc brakes, but the rack must be specifically designed to accomodate them. Rear disc brake tabs are positioned in such a way that if disc brakes are used, the caliper will interfere with the racks non drive side support. Most disc brake compatable racks simply have a piece of tubbing welded to the inside of the rear support arms that allows it to clear the brake caliper. And they are supplied with extra long bolts to accomodate the design.

Another solution that I've seen used is the seat stay clamp type rack designed for bikes that don't have rack mount holes at the drop outs. The rear supports attach to the seat stay via a clamp type affair, usually above and clear of a disc brake caliper. From there the brake line or cable cn be routed around the clamp. As long as you're not sensitive about the finish on the bike (the clamps will mar the finish), this is also a viable solution if you want to run discs and a frame rack.

Anyway disc compatable racks are usually a bit more expensive than a "regular" rack. About the cheapest I've seen recently has been the Topeak Explorer at $45 http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=3536 . There are others out there that may be cheaper than that.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

LCI #1853
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty
    I was wondering how to tell if a mtn bike frame is rack compatible w/o anything but pictures.

In ages past they had those obvious mounts (that looked like disc brake mounts almost), are the two little holes above the der hangar what is used now?

Can you use a rack and disc brakes?
    Hardtails are a lot easier... the first thing is to look for braze-ons or lugs on the seat stay and rear drop-outs where you can bolt on the rack. If your bike doesn't have these, you can still install a rack using p-clamps around the stays, and bolting the rack to that.

Disc brakes aren't incompatible with cargo racks, but you need to becareful to ensure that the rack supports are going to fit into where you need to clamp or bolt them down, and not interfere with the moving parts.

Full suspension bikes are a lot more tricky to add a rack to, and this is where the Old Man Mountain racks really shine...
    Ride a mountain bike... you will not regret it if you live.
    (with apologies to Mark Twain & The Taming of the Bicycle)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

axiom odyssee disc

Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    Another solution that I've seen used is the seat stay clamp type rack designed for bikes that don't have rack mount holes at the drop outs. The rear supports attach to the seat stay via a clamp type affair, usually above and clear of a disc brake caliper. From there the brake line or cable cn be routed around the clamp. As long as you're not sensitive about the finish on the bike (the clamps will mar the finish), this is also a viable solution if you want to run discs and a frame rack.
    Something like this: axiom odyssee disc ?? I will be trying it soon on a no-mount, disc-brake bike with an bolt on rear hub (no QR, hence OMM doesn't work). Since my bike also doesn't have the mounts near the seat, I'm going to use something like this: seat collar. Hope this helps someone!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks guys there is a plethora of good info in here.

The question about the holes in drop outs is b/c I was probably going to buy something used and it would save time if I could just look at pictures to tell if it had the necessary accouterments.

For example this
    ebay frame does not appear to have the holes necessary in the dropouts. This frame has obvious places to attach racks like old frames did where they stick out past dropouts shouting "hey I can take a rack."

This is the new style in the dropouts youguys are referring to right? Link.
    I can always ask sellers, but it helps to narrow the field first.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Ebay frame #1 looks to have rack mounts on the seat stays but not on the dropouts.
    Ebay frame #2 has rack mounts on the dropouts but not on the seat stays.
    Ebay frame #3 has rack mounts on both the seat stays and dropouts.

Members who have read this thread: 0