Fork crown headlight mount- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fork crown headlight mount

Anyone have this?

How is it? Light? Sturdy? Ad says you need to have a 6mm hole, but my fork crown has a 4-5mm hole. Wonder if mount can accept a smaller diameter bolt.

mtbr member
    That thing is pretty awesome. I may have to order one. The bracket on my MiNewt Cordless barely fits around my handlebars and I never feel like it's secure, this would solve that I think.

weirdo
    Never seen one before. I wonder how its supposed to hold the light? All my headlights have had a hole all the way through a little blob on the bottom of the housing that a 6mm bolt passes through with a nut on the other side. That mount doesn`t look like it has a hole to bolt into. It specifies several BUM lights, plus "other bike headlights", but no spec on how to mount to it? If Peter White sells it (very likely), you could ask him.

Any reason you can`t drill out the hole to 1/4 inch, Djork? If not, I`m sure 5mm with a washer behind the bolt would be enough. 4mm sounds pretty small IMO.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    This looks great, i think i am going to order on for my Karate Monkey.
    On my Cannondale and my Pugsley i have made a bracket using a starnut and a tablespoon...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do...on-736547.html
    Works pretty well.

weirdo
    ^^Cool spoon!
    And it`s 6.50 less than the plastic mount

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Never seen one before. I wonder how its supposed to hold the light? All my headlights have had a hole all the way through a little blob on the bottom of the housing that a 6mm bolt passes through with a nut on the other side. That mount doesn`t look like it has a hole to bolt into. It specifies several BUM lights, plus "other bike headlights", but no spec on how to mount to it? If Peter White sells it (very likely), you could ask him.

Any reason you can`t drill out the hole to 1/4 inch, Djork? If not, I`m sure 5mm with a washer behind the bolt would be enough. 4mm sounds pretty small IMO.
    I have a MagicShine and two NiteRiders and they all would work with that. They just clamp onto the handlebar, two of them with rubber bands and one with a clamp. I've never seen a headlight that bolts on....

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    ^^Cool spoon!
    And it`s 6.50 less than the plastic mount

Do you think starnuts and spoons grow on trees ?
    I never liked lights on the handlebars, and the commuter bikes here in the Netherlands have their light's mounted near the forkcrown since ages.
    Only i couldn't find a proper mount for a suspensin fork, so for me this was the most practical solution.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I like the spoon! The reflection of my light off my cables is driving me nuts, and also highlights how many spider webs I ride through on my route. Also the insane shake when riding over bumpy patches.

mtbr member
    That spoon is pure ingenuity!

rodat: I think the mount is more designed for lamps that use a rubber band method, such as the Magicshine headlights.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    The bottom part of the magicshine lights have a screw that can be replaced for a longer one, this way you can attach it firmly to the mount.
    I did it like that and used an extra zip-tie to prevent it from rotating from side to side should the screw loosen up.

Members who have read this thread: 0