Flats/Tires

Printable View

• 07-22-2011
    swell6
    Flats/Tires
    I bash around on a fixie/ss track frame. I get flats all the time though so I'm curious about getting a tire that prevents flats. What are my options? Whats the price range I'm looking at? Are they worth it? How do you guys prevent flats?
  • 07-22-2011
    fotooutdoors
    Search around, and you will find tons of advice on this one. My opinion? Assuming that you are getting flats from road debris and not pinch flats (if the latter, just keep your pressure up), I would go with the Panaracer pasella TG, which have a kevlar strip to reduce flats. I get 1-3 thousand miles per flat (depends on roads and how clean they are). They are $30 each, or go to jensonusa, and get them for $20 each for most sizes. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite tires.
  • 07-22-2011
    swell6
    is the strip built into the tire?
  • 07-22-2011
    swell6
    ps. Most of my flats are from road debris, but some, I must admit are from pinch flats.
  • 07-22-2011
    JAGI410
    Gatorskins, assuming you're not skidding a lot.
  • 07-22-2011
    woodway
    +1 Conti Gatorskins.

Check the inflation every few days.

Go over them weekly and pick out any road debris that might be stuck in the rubber - eventually small sharp stuff can work through the liner and cause a flat.

This recipie gets me 4000-5000 miles between flats.
  • 07-22-2011
    Dalton
    I have a gatorskin on the rear of mine and still rolling a stock brontrager on the front, but I flatted yesterday, so I need to take a look at the tire and see if there is a puncture. If there is, I'll do another gator or maybe upgrade to a schwalbe and swap the gator to the front. I dunno.
  • 07-22-2011
    jeffscott
    Quote:

Originally Posted by swell6 View Post
    ps. Most of my flats are from road debris, but some, I must admit are from pinch flats.

Conti sport contact no flats almost 3 years something like 6000 plus kms.
  • 07-24-2011
    fotooutdoors
    For clarification, all the tires being discussed have a built-in kevlar strip in the tread. They will make a huge difference in how often you flat from debris. The pinch flats are all about keeping up pressure, though. Perhaps run a bit higher volume tire if you have a hard time keeping on top of that.
  • 07-24-2011
    AndrwSwitch
    I've done surprisingly well with Forte GT2 Kevlar tires. For a different reason, I'm not riding that tire right now; current set is a Specialized Armadillo up front and a Michelin City in back. They do well too.

For the pinch flats, you just need to run higher pressure. I find a floor pump handy for inflating my tires to the same pressure every time, once I find one I like.
  • 07-25-2011
    swell6
    99% of my flats are from road debris. 1% are pinches.

When were on the topic though, I seem to have the worst luck finding the debris that pop the tube. My flat fixing process goes like this -

***** about the flat tire to all my friends
    ***** some more
    Get the wheel off the bike
    ***** about the stupid tire
    Get tire off rim
    ***** about not riding at the moment
    Inflate tube till air begins leaking
    Investigate where leak is and its corresponding spot on tire
    Look for debris
    Run fingers around inside of tire if debris isn't found
    Hope to cut myself so that I actually find the stupid debris
    Cry and call my mother if I do cut myself
    patch tube or put new tube in somewhat inflated
    reassemble bike

Anyone have any flat fixing tips?
  • 07-25-2011
    highdelll
    Fcuk, how many threads are you going to make on this?
  • 07-25-2011
    BigE610
    im blaming you for my flat this morning.
  • 07-25-2011
    swell6
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BigE610 View Post
    im blaming you for my flat this morning.

Muahahahaha, Bringing you down to my level.
  • 07-25-2011
    swell6
    Quote:

Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Fcuk, how many threads are you going to make on this?

How many do you suggest?
  • 07-25-2011
    BigE610
    Quote:

Originally Posted by swell6 View Post
    Muahahahaha, Bringing you down to my level.