Flat Pedals vs. Clipless...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Flat Pedals vs. Clipless...

So on my commuter conversion I have switched back to flat pedals. I did this more for when I bike with the family downtown or something. I usually have to switch into flip flops or other shoes for walking around. I really liked clipless and was wondering if anyone found a way around not using flat pedals... This clipless are from 2004, so things might have changed since I last looked into them. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    They have pedals that are flat on one side and clipless on the other. Seems more hassle than anything though. I just stick flat on commutes and clipless on trails. I did do clipless on work commutes at first to get better using them. Then I realized how annoying it was carrying around a pair of shoes all day.

mtbr member
    Work isn't so bad since I live in a cubicle... Its more the evening activities with the fam.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

5.10s

Buy some 5.10 shoes and ride flats. 5.10s have rock climbing soles, very sticky on the pedals. Not much difference than being clipped in.

I like flats for running errands during the work day and being able to wear normal shoes.

I do ride clipless on the road bike, but flats on the commute, mt and jump bike. I find flats are just a more pleasant way to ride and 5.10 shoes make all the difference. (I also have a pair of teva pinners, not as warm as the 5.10 -nice for hotter weather- and not as sticky a sole).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Keen arroyo

spd sandal, great for walking and riding Shimano 424 platform spd pedal is what i
    I'm switching to. Don't ride this combo in cold but wool socks could be doable

Bedwards Of The West
    I had the Performance brand flat-on-one-side-clipless-on-the-other pedals for a long time, and they were great. You sacrifice a little clearance on the trail, since the 'cage' part sticks down a bit more than a traditional clipless does, but it's pretty close to the best of both worlds. Still kicking myself for selling a bike without removing those pedals.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

CB of the East
    Road Bikes = SPD - Recessed cleat so you the shoes are easy to walk in.
    MTB & Cross bike = TIME - Recessed cleat, release better than SPD, Don't clog as much as SPD. I think the cleat is recessed slightly more too. I'll probably convert all my bikes to TIME in time.
    Winter / Foul weather commuter = Flats so I can wear any warm or waterproof shoes needed for the conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Shimano SPD winter boots

Shimano SPD summer boots

I keep a pair of crocks for walking around in whereever I need.

since 4/10/2009
    I don't like carrying around a 2nd pair of shoes all the time, either.

I use flats on my commuter. I do notice a loss of power because of my flexy tennis shoes. no big deal for neighborhood rides, but on a commute it's noticeable.

I might consider one of the mtb shoes that looks more like a hiking shoe for commuting. The stiffer sole should give enough extra power transfer as compared to what I currently use, I'd probably be happy with it. 5.10's just cost too much for me to use as a commuting shoe.

of course, that may change at some point. if I get a job that requires me to dress nice, I'd probably just keep a pair of nice shoes in my office and I'd have to change clothes, anyway...so I may wind up in clipless at some point. However since my commuter is also my family bike, I'd probably get a clipless pedal with a platform like the Time Z, CB Mallet, or Shimano 545 (or similar, many more or less $$$ models).

mtbr member
    Can someone suggest a good 2-sided pedal?

Bedwards Of The West
    When I got mine they were called the "Performance Campus" from performancebike.com. Now I think they're the "forte" house brand. Mine went strong for years. They were cheap too.

On the shoe/commute thing...I stash work shoes at work and wear my MTB shoes for the ride.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Wierdo
    Dec 2005

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Best of both worlds:
    insert crankbrothers mallet pedal link here.
    I second this. Have been using them on my commuter for a few years now. They aren't the best pedals in the world to use unclipped, but if that's not the way you ride them most of the time, they aren't bad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ChetPunisher View Post
    Can someone suggest a good 2-sided pedal?
    Shimano PD-A530 SPD Dual Platform Pedal are sweet

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I run them on my commuter/road bike. Whatever you're wearing works, good grip on the flat, look better than most huge pedals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    they do naturally flip the wrong way sometimes which can be kind of annoying but easy to get use to...

mtbr member
    I just use power grips. Guess alot of riders dont like them, but they seem to work fine for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Loss of Power

Whenever I ride flats I feel like I've lost all the power to my pedal stroke. Maybe I pedal a better circle than I thought. I've always felt like I pedaled half a box until I unclip
    Ride what you like, how you like, just remember that's what everybody else is doing too.

mtbr member
    That's what I'm dealing with. I put the flats on and I feel like I lost half my power. I don't mind it biking with my wife, but going to work I'm a little concerned.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I use toe clips. Fredly, but they work, and in whatever shoe I happen to be wearing. I guess whatever closed-toed shoe, but I don't even own open-toed shoes, so no big deal there. There's some power loss due to the shoe, I suppose, but nobody's going to give me a prize for getting to school fifteen seconds faster.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChetPunisher View Post
    That's what I'm dealing with. I put the flats on and I feel like I lost half my power. I don't mind it biking with my wife, but going to work I'm a little concerned.
    I don't question your results , but curious what you and mike1125 were using for flats and shoes.

Personally, I second CJ's use of 5.10's and flats (with traction pins) for the MTB, & fatbike, commuting or not. Still have clipless (Time ATAC) on the cross bike (closest I've gotten to a road bike lately), but it doesn't feel crazily more efficient.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I did some single track miles tonight after work and focused some attention on my pedal stroke due to this forum. I found I do use to bottom sweep stroke more than I realized. With flats you can't really use that part of the pedal stroke. I never bought top quality flats or shoes but my foot position and power always felt off. I even tried power straps for a while.
    Ride what you like, how you like, just remember that's what everybody else is doing too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Now that my.riding has gotten more aggressive, I kind of miss my flats. I use cb mallets on my FS and hitting corners faster and harder sometimes I wish I could put a foot down or out to help with balance. I feel sketchy when my feet are bound and my legs want to shift around.

mtbr member
    I work at a bike shop and ride only 2.8 miles to work. there are a few hills, so clipping is is a really nice option. I have two-sided pedals on my hybrid so I can use it for short rides in sneakers and for longer rides clipped in. standing around in cycling shoes is always uncomfortable after a while because they are so stiff, so I leave a pair of comfy sneakers at work because I stand most of the day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Flats on my mtb, and spd on my road/touring bike. Like them both, although i feel spd-s are more efficient, and you can walk in them.
    need more bikes...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Egg beaters and keep a pair of dress shoes at the office.
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

Let's Ride Cowboys
    I've been thinking about replacing my stock wellgos on my Mamba 29er with these Fyxation Gates with straps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006Z...=3GG7IJYGOJB9D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005E...=3GG7IJYGOJB9D

My stand all day work shoes are Nike Free Run 2s + Shield. Water proof and the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.

I like the idea of getting a little more power from the straps. Don't know if I would use them on the trail. But at least I know I could take them off easily if they weren't working out. There also cheap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Maybe try PowerGrips

Members who have read this thread: 0