First time commuter, lock locations, rant, blah...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First time commuter, lock locations, rant, blah...

I'm going to be starting work next week. The commute is about 2.7 miles which is nothing at all, especially since it's all downhill on the way in. I asked at orientation today about if I could keep my bike inside. The supervisor (I think that's who she is) didn't say "No", but she did say "behind the store, you could chain it up to the stair-rails". HELL NO am I going to put it where there is very little car/foot traffic, that's just asking for it to be screwed with. I wouldn't mind locking it up in the front of the store because it's a busy place (I figured it would be less likely to be stolen/tampered with where there are lots of people) but there are literally no spots in front of the store to put the bike (unless I can find a lock that will fit around 2-3 foot pillars.). My only other option is to beg and plead with the manager to let me keep my bike inside. I'll talk to her after my shift next Monday and see what she says. What sucks is that I will be working 8 hour shifts and I just really don't trust a few hundred $$$ bike sitting outside for 8 hours, even if it is locked up. I know a few people who like to touch things and screw around with them if they're unattended for a while and I'm sure there's more people like that out there.

I'm also going to ask her about changing at work. I'm a big guy so I do sweat a lot if it's hot out. I don't want to come into work drenched with sweat in my work clothes. They have lockers there so I don't see what a big deal it would be to take 5 minutes to get dressed in the bathroom and just stick my stuff in the lockers. The manager is really nice (I even heard her say she's a real softie to another employee, hah!) so I'm hoping for the best.

If I do have to lock the bike up in the back of the store (which I really doubt I will do), what do you suggest as far as keeping it secure/locking it up/making it look unpleasing to the average bike thief?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    You should look up your local laws, in some places public buildings/businesses are required by law to have a secure place to lock up bikes. You might be able to pull that out, but I wouldn't suggest doing it in the first week.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxdout View Post
    I'm going to be starting work next week. The commute is about 2.7 miles which is nothing at all, especially since it's all downhill on the way in. I asked at orientation today about if I could keep my bike inside. The supervisor (I think that's who she is) didn't say "No", but she did say "behind the store, you could chain it up to the stair-rails". HELL NO am I going to put it where there is very little car/foot traffic, that's just asking for it to be screwed with. I wouldn't mind locking it up in the front of the store because it's a busy place (I figured it would be less likely to be stolen/tampered with where there are lots of people) but there are literally no spots in front of the store to put the bike (unless I can find a lock that will fit around 2-3 foot pillars.). My only other option is to beg and plead with the manager to let me keep my bike inside. I'll talk to her after my shift next Monday and see what she says. What sucks is that I will be working 8 hour shifts and I just really don't trust a few hundred $$$ bike sitting outside for 8 hours, even if it is locked up. I know a few people who like to touch things and screw around with them if they're unattended for a while and I'm sure there's more people like that out there.

I'm also going to ask her about changing at work. I'm a big guy so I do sweat a lot if it's hot out. I don't want to come into work drenched with sweat in my work clothes. They have lockers there so I don't see what a big deal it would be to take 5 minutes to get dressed in the bathroom and just stick my stuff in the lockers. The manager is really nice (I even heard her say she's a real softie to another employee, hah!) so I'm hoping for the best.

If I do have to lock the bike up in the back of the store (which I really doubt I will do), what do you suggest as far as keeping it secure/locking it up/making it look unpleasing to the average bike thief?

Thanks!
    Ask nice about the bike storage...keep the bike very clean...

Change in the washroom etc. don't ask just do.

Oh yeah and figure out who the boss is.

mtbr member
    I'll check out the laws and see if I can find anything. Most stores around here have bike stands/racks out front but I don't think this one does.

And yea, when I ask, I'll be sure to let her know that I keep it clean (no mud falling off it, etc...). She's a real nice person so hopefully we can work something out

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'll check out the laws and see if I can find anything. Most stores around here have bike stands/racks out front but I don't think this one does.

And yea, when I ask, I'll be sure to let her know that I keep it clean (no mud falling off it, etc...). She's a real nice person so hopefully we can work something out
    Actions speak louder than words I mean clean it when it gets dirty essentially no mud except from the commute, my bike sits inside at work...on a carpet..I put two shallow card board boxes down (one for each wheel)...a box will last the winter....the carpet has some salt stains on it....much less than the carpet where everyone walks.

mtbr member
    I'm definitely going to keep it clean and make sure the area I keep it stays clean. The cardboard idea is a good one, although there's no carpet in this building, I'll be sure to not leave any dirt traces of it. It's only going to be for 2 days out of the week (if I do go through with it) so it shouldn't be a big deal.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Oh yeah and figure out who the boss is.
    That sounds like a REALLY good idea, regardles of how you arrive at work.

Maxx, I`d probably get a $30 bike to lock up in a place I wasn`t comfortable leaving my good bike. Especially since it`s such a short ride- just about anything off Craigslist that half fits and doesn`t have frozen bearings would work. Down the road, if you figure out a better parking option, you can always give the beater away and ride your bling bike.

mtbr member
    That's a good idea actually. Maybe I'll ride my pos honda trail pilot in if I'm not able to put it inside.

mtbr member
    You can leave heavy/strong locking devices on site. Again don't ask just do. It is usually easier to get forgiveness of a minor issue that permission, especially if you were told that's were it has to be locked up. 'How' was then in your court. Don't forget to remove or cable the saddle even on the cheap bike.

Concur on the wardrobe change. The lockers infer it is OK. Do it in the washroom, don't ask.

Wanderer
    I doubt I would lock my bike up in the back (sounds like behind the store). Maybe drive for a week or two, do a good job and try to find an out-of-the-way place inside you can put it and then ask again.

Or just get a real cheap bike (Goodwill type) and lock that up behind the store.

People will steal anything, my sister got a beater bike stolen with a baby seat on it, WTF ....

bikexor
    I agree, no one can stop you from changing clothes when you get to work as long as you arrive early enough that you're not on the clock or late.

Try to scope out other places nearby that might have a better place to lock up... in front of a police station or somewhere in plain sight with a lot of traffic?
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    Yea, I asked a few people and it's 100% find to change in there, as long as I clock in after I change.

There used to be a sports store right next to this place, and my dad knew the owner. It would have been the perfect place to put the bike, but sadly this sport store is no more.

I've been scoping the store out for potential places to put the bike inside. The only place I might be able to put it is in the back of the break room behind a table or something. But there's nothing to lock it up to in there, and I don't trust everyone here just yet so I'll keep looking...

bikexor
    I've been scoping the store out for potential places to put the bike inside. The only place I might be able to put it is in the back of the break room behind a table or something. But there's nothing to lock it up to in there, and I don't trust everyone here just yet so I'll keep looking...
    You can lock the rear wheel to the frame without actually having to remove the wheel by threading the lock through the spokes and around the seat- or chain-stay. It'll at least make it unrideable.
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    EDIT: I just realized what you meant, lol. Yea that is a good idea if I am able to keep it in the break room, I could even remove the front wheel wrap the lock around the frame and both wheels.

I could do that, but what I meant was that there's no stationary "base" (like a rail or something) to lock it to in the break room. I don't even have a working bike now (need a new cassette) so I'll keep an eye out for potential locations. I still wish these people would put some kind of bike rack out front or something...
    Last edited by maxxdout; 06-15-2011 at 11:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Just thought I'd post an update. I figured I'd work my ass off for the first few weeks so I can get on the manager's good side. Someone got fired so I filled in the past two days and I mentioned to the asst. manager about locking my bike up outside and she said that there's no good place to lock it up and she would have no problem with me bringing it inside and storing it in the back. She even mentioned that it wouldn't be safe to keep it outside, even if there was a bike rack. F**K YEA! If these cats and dogs hold up, maybe I'll ride in sometime next week...