First successful commute- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017

First successful commute

A few weeks back a decided to get back into mountain biking. Nothing too serious. Just some single track near where I live. I went and purchased a decent specialized hardtail mountain bike and it has been good for what I need it for. Then one day I decided I should ride to work and back to help get into better shape. I did a dry run one day on my day off to see how long it would take me. It's about 8 miles one way and took me about 35 minutes. It's all paved bike path the whole way. I challenge myself to try and keep pace with some of the guys on road bikes. Today was the first day I was able to take it to work and back and it went pretty smooth. Coming home from work is a little more uphill than the way to work so it's a little harder after a long days work. My legs are a little sore but I can't wait to do it again tomorrow. Anyhow just thought I'd share my experience. (I wish I could afford a road bike as well)

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^Nice work. Keep it up and soon you'll be addicted like the rest of us.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    You could add a bit more pressure to your tires to help reduce rolling resistance. Just to make it a little easier. Since it's all concrete on your commute. Just remember to take it back down when you go on the trail.

I wish I could ride my bike to work. It's 24 miles to my office on an interstate.

Rides all the bikes!
    My bike commute is about the same time and distance. I used to commute 50 miles round trip, this is easier

Make sure you carry a spare tube and basic tools. It sucks to be late because you have to walk.

I paid $40 for my commuter bike. While I have invested a little into it, very little was needed (bought a cheap disc wheel set and mechanical discs for bad weather as an example). You might be able to find a cheap set of wheels that you can put commuter tires on.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Congrats on your first commuting experience. I invested in a nice set of slick tires to help with rolling resistance. The more commutes you complete the stronger you'll become.

mtbr member
    Be careful its addictive. And 8 miles of paved bikepath from home to work??

Dang man you are lucky!

You will probably invest more and more over time: tires, fenders, lights, more comfy clothing and clothing that is suitable for work AND cycling, and and and....

Good luck and keep riding!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Yeah pretty fortunate living that close to work. Weather has been good here as well. We'll see if I'm as keen when the rain starts.