First set of pannier bags...need recommendations.......- Mtbr.com
    S-Mart's Top of the Line

Idea! First set of pannier bags...need recommendations.......

So I need to get a set so I can weigh them down for training. I don't want to break the bank, they need to be rack mounted, ideally waterproof or covers included, I don't need the ability to remove and wear like a backpack, and I need to be able to pack enough for a three day ride. Any one have any really good suggestions? Noone I know uses them. Thanks

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by H3LlIoN
    So I need to get a set so I can weigh them down for training.
    !? Training for what?

I got a set of Seattle Sports Titan panniers from REI-outlet a few months ago. Very water proof main pocket so far, and the price is pretty good. But if you're just putting weights in there, a cheap set would probably be fine too, as long as it's secure.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

S-Mart's Top of the Line
    Training for three day rides with a pack full of gear and food. Anyway, thanks for the tip. I had seen those in a brief search. I would need to buy two, correct? IE, those only come as one side, as opposed to the pair? Thanks

mtbr member
    I have the Novara Transfer Panniers. The nice thing about them is that you get two for $109. I am able to fit pants, shirt, underwear, pump, food, small towel, wallet, watch and some other gear in one, along with my big giant shoes (size 13). If not for the shoes I could get a lot more in there.
    :wq

Fat-tired Roadie
    Typically, the Titan comes as a single. But the ones I bought on rei-outlet were $60 for the pair.

I don't know if they're really big enough for a three-day tour. You might start with the pack list, figure out how much pannier you need, and go from there. I don't think cycle tourists usually train, per se, but doing a few rides to figure out how you want to load and how your bike handles with all that stuff is a good idea.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

dirtbag
    Ortlieb backroller panniers - bombproof, waterproof and will serve for a couple years.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Don't use panniers. I have a hybridbackpack that allows me to take my own backpack. Plus for rainy rides. I put by backpack in a garbage bag and place it on the hybridbackpack. Looks silly but it does it job and I can carry my backpack on my back once I get to my destination. It sits right on top of the bike rack so even weight distribution. Very easy to use. Better than pannier and bungee cords.
    I bought it for $40. Best purchase for the bike.

here are some vids of me using it.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/bobbisig...r?feature=mhee

Members who have read this thread: 0