First ride on a new bike and on my knee since getting hit by a car- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First ride on a new bike and on my knee since getting hit by a car

SO PUMPED!

Also the new bike feels great. My only complaint is the levers are not that comfortable.

My knee is weak and a little unstable, but feels fine while riding. So happy.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Congrats joshed! I don't know too much about road levers, but maybe you can move them (probably have to re-tape the bars, too)? Or try different levers? Then again, maybe you'll just get used to it with time. Do you have hand numbness?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by joshed
    SO PUMPED!

Also the new bike feels great. My only complaint is the levers are not that comfortable.

My knee is weak and a little unstable, but feels fine while riding. So happy.

Get some brake levers that work from the straight part of the bars, They hook up in series with the main brake lever....

Tektro makes em so does Paul components...

Actually riding around without those levers can be down right dangerous, in the event you have an emergency stop to make.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ They're called in-line levers. I'm not a fan, but they do work. I had Tektro levers on my road bars when I had them on the commuter, and they were OK as far as comfort. Yours look like they're too far up on the curve of the bar to me...I set mine up so that they basically extended the flat part of the bar. Those levers look like they curve up a lot though, might not be able to get that whole "extended flat part of the bar" feeling with those. You'll just have to play with position.

Congrats on getting back on the bike, by the way. That's good news.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.

For road riding I actually enjoy the road bike style brakes. These ones are just VERY cheap. The cover where your hands rest are super thin rubber that is not soft or comfortable at all. They are so thin you can feel all of the mechanical pieces under them (just to give you a better idea). No numbness or anything, just not comfortable. I could play with the positioning a bit on them, but I am afraid to have to re-tape the bars (Never done it before).

I think my plan is going to be to replace them with some higher end levers that will be more comfortable.

I appreciate the warm welcome back. =]

It feels great to be back. Now time to get back in shape. 23lbs to go. Ugh. 5 months without riding my mtb is killing me.

jrm
    mtbr member

Another trick is

peeling back the lever boot and adding extra bar tape and cable housing to create a flatter surface from the outside of your hands to rest on. I secure the stuff with electric tape. Also moving the levers around so theyre flat with the tops of the bar helps too.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice.

I actually tried to peel back the cover when I first got the bike and it tore. Its cheap as hell! heh.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Get some Tektro R200A levers, can be had for around $20 and they are pretty comfy. I also recommend the Tektro inline levers, which can be found on ebay for under $20 shipped. If the logos bug you, 5 minutes with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and the logos go away easily without effecting the shiny levers.

Congrats on the first ride back, that new bike is a beauty!

weirdo
    Clean machine! I`m glad you`ve got it (and your knee) on the road.
    Recalculating....

Members who have read this thread: 0