First Day Commuting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

First Day Commuting

Well I bought the Serfas drifter tires, some lights,a water bottle holder and new comfrot grips. Im waiting on a rack and bag setup. It will be 8.5 miles to work. I just wanted to introduce myself here, because I want to make this commuting deal work.

Ill let you all know how I do.

Bedwards Of The West
    Sweet. Welcome. What kind of bike are you riding?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Hey, AZ Newb. Wishing you luck.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks guys. I am riding an Ironhorse Warrior. Was 100 bucks on craigslist and it has gone down National 3 times. Its not my first pick, but for a total investment of 250$ so far its been a fantastic budget bike.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Nice. Congrats on joining the commuter fold. Ask away if you have any questions and remember to have fun!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

weirdo
    Ah, Craigslist- my favorite hangout. If they only had listings for groceries, I might never buy from anywhere else.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Ah, Craigslist- my favorite hangout. If they only had listings for groceries, I might never buy from anywhere else.
    That would be sweet.
    '07 Marin Rift Zone
    '07 Ridley Orion
    KHS fixed gear
    Jamis Allegro 1.0

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You could probably pay a hooker to get your groceries....

I got nothin'
    I'd be worried that if a hooker brought the groceries that she would kill me.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So as a recap. The tires I used were awesome as well as the comfort grips. The three things Ill definetly be changing are getting a rack and bag set up. The backpack with work clothes was uncomfortable and way too hot. Ill be adding an extra water bottle so I dont have to ration since I drink alot of water. Ill also be making sure I have an mp3 player with me, as I was bored half way through the ride.

Thanks again guys. I hope to contribute to this forum as I get more into it.

weirdo
    You could probably get a hooker to carry your work clothes and water bottle for you.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How about getting some fender to fend off water splash in rainy days??

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Shimano, you either typed this as it was raining, or you were reading my mind. I woke up to pouring rain and realized I am not able to ride in this weather without soaking everything I would be carrying and wearing...

If I had no other choice I would probably throw my clothes in a garbage bag and just suck it up, but till then ill drive in.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZnewbie
    Shimano, you either typed this as it was raining, or you were reading my mind. I woke up to pouring rain and realized I am not able to ride in this weather without soaking everything I would be carrying and wearing...

If I had no other choice I would probably throw my clothes in a garbage bag and just suck it up, but till then ill drive in.
    Fender is good for commuting after the rain has stopped but the road is still fill with pool of water. It will keep yr clothes dry.

local trails rider
    Got any different routes to choose between?

I have a few different options that keep me away from much car traffic. So I choose depending on the time of year and weather: some routes are good when there's snow, some are acceptable when it is wet, some are great on dry days...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Heh Perttime. I actually have a zillion choices to get to work, as the Phoenix area is built on a grid. Whats nice is about half of my trip is on a nice canal path with no car traffic, and the other half is on a road that parallels a major highway, so there isn't much traffic that way either.

Im just bought a rack and bag on ebay,so im hoping to install that asap. I will also find some more fun routers to go home on, as I can get a bit more sweaty.

I dont have to worry about weather too much here, except for the 3 months of 100+ days. Ill have to come up with some ideas for commutting in the heat.

mtbr member
    The 100+ degree days aren't as bad as you may expect, i do about 10 miles each way and find it's actually quite comfortable. The speed is just about perfect to evaporate the sweat at the right rate without feeling like a blast furnace.

local trails rider
    half of my trip is on a nice canal path with no car traffic, and the other half is on a road that parallels a major highway, so there isn't much traffic that way either.
    Sounds pretty ideal. Actually, not totally different from my situation (except for the different climates...)

No-Brakes Cougar
    I dont have to worry about weather too much here, except for the 3 months of 100+ days. Ill have to come up with some ideas for commutting in the heat.
    We don't have nearly as many 100+ days here in CA, but I have come up with some solutions for dealing with them when they do occur. One trick I like is to take a t-shirt and soak it completely in the sink with cold water. As you ride, the moisture will keep your core cool. I was surprised at how well this worked, the first time I tried it. It was almost like it wasn't 100+ at all. I also started using a sweatband designed to fit under my helmet to keep sweat from running into my eyes, on my glasses, etc....
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    I have a "halo" bandanna I use under the helmet, has a rubberized strip that directs sweat away to the sides of my face to keep it out of my eyes. It works amazingly well!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    We don't have nearly as many 100+ days here in CA, but I have come up with some solutions for dealing with them when they do occur. One trick I like is to take a t-shirt and soak it completely in the sink with cold water. As you ride, the moisture will keep your core cool. I was surprised at how well this worked, the first time I tried it. It was almost like it wasn't 100+ at all. I also started using a sweatband designed to fit under my helmet to keep sweat from running into my eyes, on my glasses, etc....
    On the trail when it gets hot (not 100 here!) I like to dunk my head & helmet in a cold stream...and if it dries, supplement this fabulous hair-do with the water bottle as needed. Maybe it would help (for a while) to wet down in the sink before leaving on a commute too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1
    I have a "halo" bandanna I use under the helmet, has a rubberized strip that directs sweat away to the sides of my face to keep it out of my eyes. It works amazingly well!
    Yes, these are great for hot weather riding. I bought mine when I was commuting here in Phoenix when it got over 100. Paired with some C9 wicking t-shirts from Target, I stayed pretty comfortable in the heat. Plus if your route is near a canal, perfect! It'll feel even cooler.

mtbr member
    For me, the wet Tee Ok for short runs in heat, but I end up with just plain hot and wet in this humidity over 20 miles, or so depending. Sweat running into the chamois area requires a lot of cream to kept the skin on. They don't call those tender areas for nothing. So for longer rides in Humidex 100 F and above, the water bottle dousing works best for me with a good wicking Jersey and shorts. Two bottles on the frame and two in a handlebar bag. Drink lots on timed intervals before getting thirsty and make sure the sweat is rolling. Shade tree it at slightest hint of symptoms of heat stroke. Saguaros don't make much shade though, do they? As I am getting older (aren't we all?), I have found that slight dehydration shows up in the first hints of leg cramping. So listen to your body and remember it may speak to you differently in time or with miles. If something doesn't seem right, It likely isn't.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks guys. I bought some good moisture whicking shorts and a tshirt. Should be alot more comfortable when my rack and pack come in as the backpack is annoying and hot.

Hot weather should be coming in a few months,so I should be in alot better shape and have my commuting tricks down pat. Thanks for all the help

Members who have read this thread: 0