First commute to work

Printable View

• 06-04-2010
    dirtrider6
    First commute to work
    I bought a used Specialized Sirrus, just got it back the other day from getting a full tune up, woke up this morning and thought what the heck, I'll ride it to work.
    Around a 9 mile ride, with a big hill just before my work.
    Only close call was a squirrel that tried to commit suicide and ran out from the grass right in front of me! I had my helmet cam on and captured the moment.

How do you guys deal with getting to work and being all sweaty? It was really humid today, and after I parked the bike I was soaked.
  • 06-04-2010
    c_kyle
    I'm an every-now-and-then commuter right now. My commute is 9-11 miles each way, depending on how I go. Some good suggestions that have been mentioned before are:

Take a good shower before you leave the house and don't put on lotion, etc. I think this works better because you're just sweating clean sweat, and not other products.

Baby Wipes, and take a whore bath in the bathroom when you get to work.

Leave a set of deodorant, toothpaste, hair gel, etc at work.

If you can, leave a few sets of work clothes at work. Then, you can just take a whore bath and change into fresh clothes.

Iron and roll or fold your work clothes and pack them in a backpack. You can get those large zip-loc-type bags that are made for luggage that will fit your clothes and keep them dry. Leave your work shoes at work...no need to carry extra weight.

Arrive at work early enough to totally cool down, stop sweating, get clean and dry, and changed into your work clothes.

I'm sure there are much better suggestions, but I do the above and it works when I bikecommute.
  • 06-04-2010
    dirtrider6
    Thanks, all good suggestions, especially about the clothes, I had to lug them in my backpack, being this was a last minute decision, I did wet my hair and rinse off in the sink at work, that felt great.
    I don't expect I'll be doing it all the time, just once and a while. maybe once or twice a week.
  • 06-04-2010
    c_kyle
    If you're not going to do it every day, then you can definitely drive a few sets of clothes/etc and then just enjoy the rides without carrying a bunch of stuff.
  • 06-04-2010
    79Birdman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by c_kyle
    If you're not going to do it every day, then you can definitely drive a few sets of clothes/etc and then just enjoy the rides without carrying a bunch of stuff.

I do this same type of thing for riding to school. My college is only about 5-6 miles away from my house (not far), but in AZ and it gets kinda hot. I just keep a couple of extra changes of cloths in a locker in my auto-tech building. It works out great; and its nice to not have to carry the cloths in my backpack every day.
  • 06-04-2010
    grnamin
    I joined the gym in the complex where I work. I told the owner that I'd gladly pay the monthly membership fee just to use the shower after my ride in. :) I iron my clothes and put them in my backpack. It helps to have no-iron shirts. :) I'm thinking of driving to my workplace (10.3 miles on way) and stashing some clothes there so my pack isn't as heavy during the commute.
  • 06-04-2010
    sdude30
    I do something similar, I bike to a gym I belong to close to where I work, shower/change there and then take a shuttle. Definitely helps to have a full shower in the summer, its 12miles one way for me
  • 06-04-2010
    zadey1234
    Its not something I have to worry so much(Yay for being 16, being a commuter and working in a bike shop). I mainly just have my hydro pack so I usually just throw my deodorant in there and slap some on when I get to work, also throughout the day.
  • 06-05-2010
    dirtrider6
    Part of my problem was this being my first time, I left early, but wasn't sure how long it would take, so I was nervous about that, so I was pushing myself, instead of a relaxed ride.
    The ride home was more relaxed, even though the traffic was much heavier. I used to road ride a lot, but that was 10 years ago, so the traffic is a little unnerving.
    I left my work clothes there, I'll pick them up next week. Next time much more planning is going into it, I'll take extra clothes, and leave a lunch in the fridge at work the day before I plan on riding in.
  • 06-06-2010
    dirtrider6
    Here's a video of the ride home.
    <object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Wr-cB_5cpE&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9 e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Wr-cB_5cpE&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9 e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>