First commute this morning- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

First commute this morning

Hey everyone,
    I just did my first commute this morning and cant believe i have not done it before. I rode my Outcast 29er ss, planet bike fenders and rear rack with axiom panniers. It was a great ride but only having a 32 tooth sprocket up front really made me spin out much to quickly. Anyways just am excited so i wanted to share with all you other bike commuters. Ive been lurking for awhile here so this is great to finally be able to post in thin section. Ok well I will stop my rant now, thanks.
    Mike

Bedwards Of The West
    Nice! Welcome. You sound pretty well set-up for a rookie in terms of equipment. Now comes the years of tweaking with gear to get your bike set up exactly right. Sounds like a sprocket or two might be your first changes.

Two questions everyone's going to want to know: How far is your ride? and How harsh is your winter?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Whoohoo! Congrats, Konak- yeah, how long is your route and what`s it like?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    My commute is rather short, it's about 6 miles one way. The winter here in S. California should not be a prob. It was about 60 degrees this morning. Anways ya the reason I have commuting stuff allready is because I wanted to be prepared the first time. I haveto carry clothes and such and do not want to wear a backpack. Thanks for the kind words.

Bedwards Of The West
    My ride is 6 miles also. That's a decent pull on a singlespeed. They make bikes with multiple gears, you know...just sayin.
    I started riding to work when I was in SoCal, but now I live in the sticks. Not a car door or a stop light in sight. The trade-off is the snow and freezing temps.

Good call having fenders already. That will make your first "winter" (if you can call it that in SoCal) a LOT more plesant.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Mine is a 7 mile ride...I'm doing it on my geared MTB since March...and I've been seriously thinking to get a SS to do it!...keep it and keep on rolling!..congrats!

mtbr member
    Welcome to the commuter club. Mine is 8 miles each way and was very wet this morning (DC area). Pro'lly wet on the way home 2'night as well. I have some neoprene booties that slip on over my spd shoes and that kept my feet dry just fine. Clothes almost all dried out during my 8 hr desk job. mw

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Does anyone know what size sprocket i would need to order for the motobecane outcast 29er? I think a 36-38 tooth would be good but i mean the size for the truvativ cranks. Anyways I still use this bike for weekend light trails when not riding the FR rig. Let me know what you all think. Thanks

Ovaries on the Outside
    Nice work on getting out on the streets. It is fun.

I assume your gearing right now is 33x18 (33t for the chainring- front sprocket; 18t for the freewheel- the rear sprocket), You have a 104 bcd chairing. You could buy something around 42t and be pretty set, but it depends on fitness.

If you like working on things, feel free to do the work yourself. A bike shop can do the switch fairly easily too.

I Have Cookies
    Congrats! on the Ride to work!! I have been doing so for about 2 years!!!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by konak
    Does anyone know what size sprocket i would need to order for the motobecane outcast 29er? I think a 36-38 tooth would be good but i mean the size for the truvativ cranks. Anyways I still use this bike for weekend light trails when not riding the FR rig. Let me know what you all think. Thanks
    Have you plugged it into a gear calculator? Sounds like maybe youre asking something different, but here`s one just in case.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Well, made it home. Good ride. Ya I am running a 32:18 setup as of now. Thanks again everyone.

The Brutally Handsome
    RIDE THE LIGHTNING!!!

mtbr member

Good job! Good Job!

I commute 5 days a week, about 6 miles each way in Ausin, TX. I ride when it's wet, I ride when it's cold, I just don't ride when it's wet and cold...

Get a mirror, keep a spare set of clothes at work...

No-Brakes Cougar
    Nice work man! Congrats on joining the commuter club. As to your chainring question, didn't your Outcast come with both 32t and 42t sprockets? They used to, at least....
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

My Brain Hurts!
    Welcome to the world of doging cars and getting the old 1 finger salute and horn honk!

Seriously, commuting by bike is addicting! And I plan to commute till the snow flies this year. Well, as soon as I get my commuter back from the shop that is...
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Ya the outcast prob. came with a 42 tooth, but i bought the bike used for 150. It only had the 18 tooth. It works as of now. Thanks everyone

Members who have read this thread: 0