First Commute (1/2 way done)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

First Commute (1/2 way done)

Just wanted to drop a quick note...did my first bike-commute ever today. By car, the fastest route is about 14-15 miles...but that uses a combination of very narrow, hilly rural roads that are heavily trafficked at rush hour and 4-6 lane mega roads that are also heavily trafficked. So I did an alternate route, riding laterally to a bike path along the Fox River, then downriver, then across to my office...about 17 miles each way. Made it to the office in no time flat...cool and cloudy this morning; left right after the rain stopped.

Since I hadn't done the ride before, I made it on my Scattante CFR Race carbon fiber road bike. Now having done it once (at least the 'to work' trip), I think I'd probably take this bike when I'm going light (when I can remember to leave a shirt, towel, BO and shoes at work the day before), and take my Big Dummy when travelling with my briefcase.

Anyway, 1/2 way down, and I'm actually looking forward to my ride home later today. Because of my work schedule (many mid-day trips and many days when I have to go to court and then the office, or vice-versa, and wear a suit), I probably will only be able to bike-commute once a week or so. But it's pretty fun!
    Last edited by lawfarm; 09-24-2010 at 03:17 PM.

weirdo
    Nice going! Wow, that`s a long commute. Good luck with your ride home and don`t forget about the possibilities for partial bike commuting if turns out to be too much.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    have you heard about bouncing? I think that is what it is called. Drive to work with your bike. Ride home, then ride in the next day. Also, driving to work with a weeks worth of work clothes is another option. I got into bike commuting and got to where all I looked forward to was my next ride. It actually motivated my work. Of course, I resigned my position and am not working... sadly, riding less. But now the rides I do take are on empty mtb trails since everyone else is working, or am with my kids in the trailer going to the grocery or the wife and kids on a family ride... which family is why I quit my job anyway.
    Keep up the commuting. and take the lane.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Update: ride complete

Twenty mile an hour headwinds on the last leg sucked, but otherwise, fully successful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    are you in illinois. i live in fox lake and do a 12 mile commute sometimes. didnt ride today those winds were crazy.

Usually though since ive had my second kid and have no time in the morning i ride my car about halfway to my parents house and commute from there. that way my wife doesnt kill me when for leaving an hour earlier in the morning. We have two young boys one 3mo and the other is 19mo so the mornings can be a little hectic. i have also thought about doing the ride my car to work ride home and then back in the morning. well see. congrats on your first commute.

Members who have read this thread: 0