• 03-14-2010
    hydrogeek
    5 Attachment(s)
    Finally got the new commuter up and running
    Thanks to CB's suggestion of the Nashbar X Frame and the long process of sourcing inexpensive but quality parts, I have my new commuter up and running. Being a MTBer I couldn't help but add some heavy duty parts here and there.

Nashbar X Frame
    Novatech Disc Hubs (ebay)
    Wheelsmith DB spokes and alloy nipples (Universal)
    Sun Equalizer 23 rims (Universal)
    Forte Metro-K tires (35x700) (Performance)
    Shimano Deore RD, Sora Dbl FD (ebay)
    Truvativ compact cranks (36-50) (ebay)
    Shimano bar end shifters (so precise and crisp!) (Jenson USA)
    Ritchey Bio Max bars and Pro stem (ebay)
    Avid BB7 Disc brakes (Universal)
    Tektro levers (Universal)
    Felt carbon seat post (ebay)
    Sette saddle (Pricepoint)

Now it's time to go and ruin it's good looks with fenders and a rack. ;)
  • 03-14-2010
    Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Wow. Very nice, clean looking ride hydrogeek! What kind of fork is that?
  • 03-14-2010
    hydrogeek
    Funny Story...
    The fork is a Civia carbon model. I had just installed it when I got an email saying that Civia just recalled the fork due to potential cracking at the crown. So in a week or two it will get swapped out for a Winwood carbon fork, at Civia's expense. I like it's shape and color, matches the frame perfectly.
  • 03-14-2010
    hydrogeek
    First ride impressions
    Man this frame is stiff/rigid with the oversize tubing. All the power to the pedals goes straight to the drivetrain. Rides way more efficiently than the old late 90's steel Rockhopper. I was a bit afraid that the Nashbar frame would be overly harsh like the Canondale that I had back in the late 80's that had giant aluminum tubes.....that gave me a had a sore butt and a rattled brain after every ride. Not so with the Nashbar with carbon forks and seat post.

The BB7 disc brakes are too sweet. Nice modulation, easy stopping, and easy to adjust with the supplied inline adjusters. I use to have BB5's on another bike and there is just no comparison to the BB7's.

The Shimano shifters are so crisp and precise it's like no other Shimano unit that I have ever used before.

Time to tune the stem length and handlebar angle this week during the commute.
  • 03-14-2010
    Presta Pusher
    That's just outright wrong.

1) I had to buy one myself this afternoon after reading this thread and CB's
    2) I haven't seen foliage that green since at least September - and we had a rain/snow mix all day today.

Nice looking ride! When the frame gets here, I'll have a project of my own to work on. :thumbsup:
  • 03-14-2010
    CommuterBoy
    Woot Woot! You know I'm loving that thing. That fork does look sweet with the frame... although you can't go wrong with a black carbon fork. Mine is the Nashbar one with visible carbon weave...matches the post/headset spacers.

I'm totally with you on ruining the look with fenders/rack. I refuse to use a rack, and the fenders come off every April. :lol:

Nice work man, you're making me want to spend a little money on mine to make it new again. It needs a cassette, and I'm thinking about switching to mountain 9 speed. I was even thinking about a front derailleur for a minute, but I got over it :lol:

I agree on the ride characteristics of this frame too. Very sweet with the carbon fork/post, and surprisingly quick. I've done a century on mine and it's pretty decent for the long haul.

The tribe is growing...I wonder if I could get a kick-back from Nashbar if I sent them this thread? :lol:

Edit: those brake bosses will thread out of the tabs on the seatstays...looks cleaner without 'em IMHO. Mine are in a box in the garage...just in case.
  • 03-14-2010
    hydrogeek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Presta Pusher
    That's just outright wrong.

1) I had to buy one myself this afternoon after reading this thread and CB's
    2) I haven't seen foliage that green since at least September - and we had a rain/snow mix all day today.

Nice looking ride! When the frame gets here, I'll have a project of my own to work on. :thumbsup:

Yep, it was a pretty nice day in the Pacific Northwest.

I think half the fun is sourcing parts and putting it all together. Enjoy the ride.
  • 03-14-2010
    hydrogeek
    Nashbar Commission
    CB, I think you deserve a commission from Nashbar. Maybe 10% for each sale of an X frame from each inspiration from this MTBR forum.

Thanks for the tip on the canti studs. I will pull them this week and could save some weight. :D

Looking forward to riding to work tomorrow.
  • 03-14-2010
    rodar y rodar
    Lookin good, HG- nine speed in back? And did you lace the wheels yourself?
  • 03-15-2010
    mtbxplorer
    That came out realy nice, sounds like you are enjoying it already. Like PrestaP I was also admiring your green grass.
  • 03-15-2010
    rayhead00
    Swwweeeettt ride!
    You could finish it off with crabon(looking) fenders.
  • 03-15-2010
    grandsalmon
    Looking good! Love the fork- what a pity, but ain't worth finding out the hard way "why" the recall.
    Nice collecting of parts, put together, and now ride!!
  • 03-15-2010
    Goodbarsix
    Looking sharp! I think I need to convert to drops on my commuter now.
  • 03-15-2010
    jrm
    Very very cool
    Any idea how much it weighs?
  • 03-15-2010
    CommuterBoy
    No issues with the 50 tooth big ring and chainstay clearance? Mine fits, but I'm wondering if they changed the chainstay along with the rear hub spacing....apparently not?
  • 03-15-2010
    Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrogeek
    The fork is a Civia carbon model. I had just installed it when I got an email saying that Civia just recalled the fork due to potential cracking at the crown. So in a week or two it will get swapped out for a Winwood carbon fork, at Civia's expense. I like it's shape and color, matches the frame perfectly.

That is too bad about the fork, it looks like it was custom made for the bike. I've heard good things about Winwood though, I'm sure it won't change the look of the bike too much.
  • 03-15-2010
    Solomon76
    Sweet ride! I have Nashbar X frame on order myself. I have everything else for my build, I'm only waiting for the frame and fork from Nashbar. The reason it is taking so long is because I'm at a military base overseas. I'm going to go with straight bars because I want to use hydro disc brakes. I'll post pics whenever my frame and fork get here.
  • 03-15-2010
    CommuterBoy
    Sweet. We need to start a club.

Hydrogeek, when are you going to do the flame job?:cornut:
  • 03-15-2010
    hydrogeek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Lookin good, HG- nine speed in back? And did you lace the wheels yourself?

Itís actually 8spd. I already had the cassette and the shifters were way cheap. Yep, I build my own wheels now. I bought teh book Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance and learned how to build wheels. It is a fun and long process but I enjoy it and I get what I want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    That came out realy nice, sounds like you are enjoying it already. Like PrestaP I was also admiring your green grass.

Mother Nature has been nice to us in the PNW this year with snow only twice in the valley. I have the feeling that it might be a long hot Summer though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandsalmon
    Looking good! Love the fork- what a pity, but ain't worth finding out the hard way "why" the recall. Nice collecting of parts, put together, and now ride!!

Apparently the fork cracks somewhere around the crown. I have noticed some slight shudder from the fork when I get on the brakes. I am betting that shudder/vibration is leading to the cracking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrm
    Any idea how much it weighs?

It is around 22lbs on my bathroom scale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    No issues with the 50 tooth big ring and chainstay clearance? Mine fits, but I'm wondering if they changed the chainstay along with the rear hub spacing....apparently not?

No issues at all. I also threw on my 39-53 tooth road crankset with no clearance issues either. Not sure why Nashbar says the frame is limited to 48 tooth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solomon76
    Sweet ride! I have Nashbar X frame on order myself. I have everything else for my build, I'm only waiting for the frame and fork from Nashbar. The reason it is taking so long is because I'm at a military base overseas. I'm going to go with straight bars because I want to use hydro disc brakes. I'll post pics whenever my frame and fork get here.

Please do post pics. I hear you about the hydros, maybe one day a manufacturer will make road hydro levers.

CB, that could be another $9.99 in your account.

I am really happy with the frame. I was ripping down the road today on a downhill decent where the old Mountain Bike gets squirrelly, but the Nasbar was smooth and precise through the turns.
  • 03-15-2010
    rodar y rodar
    8 speed, great! Unless I misunderstood, you just recently ordered the shifters and 8 sp barends had been out of stock everywhere for some time now- I thought they might be gone for ever. I`m glad they were only on vacation.
  • 03-15-2010
    hydrogeek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    8 speed, great! Unless I misunderstood, you just recently ordered the shifters and 8 sp barends had been out of stock everywhere for some time now- I thought they might be gone for ever. I`m glad they were only on vacation.

Jenson USA has them in stock for a steal. They came with everything needed including cables and housing. I was thinking about brifters but two things stopped me: 1) I ride in the winter with lobster mitts so levers are easy to negotiate and 2) brifters are really expensive. Brifters would cost me more than any other component including the frame and carbon fork. Something just seems wrong with that equation.
  • 03-15-2010
    rodar y rodar
    "Jenson USA has them in stock for a steal. They came with everything needed including cables and housing."
    Not anymore. They`re listed for $56 if they ever get some more. Same price I paid for them there about a year and a half ago- I agree it`s a steal.

"1) I ride in the winter with lobster mitts so levers are easy to negotiate and 2) brifters are really expensive. "
    I agree on both those points, too. Also, I test drove a bike with Tiagra brifters and I just didn`t like how they felt- not a comfortable hand position for me and I didn`t like how far the levers had to move in order to shift. Mabe they would be better with some dialing in or if I got used to them, or maybe Ultegra, Ergo or Doubletap would be more to my liking, but I`m not paying that kind of money to experiment when I`m already delited with the budget option.
  • 03-15-2010
    Solomon76
    Does anyone know what width bottom bracket is needed? I have a 73mm already. But if I need to order a 68mm, I can go ahead and order it now so that it will be here by the time or shortly after the frame gets here. I couldn't find the information on the Nashbar website.
  • 03-15-2010
    rkj__
    I like it!

I would like it even better with a rack and fenders, but I understand that not everybody wants/requires those accessories.
  • 03-15-2010
    CommuterBoy
    He's in the PNW...he'll be rocking the fenders for sure :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solomon76
    Does anyone know what width bottom bracket is needed? I have a 73mm already. But if I need to order a 68mm, I can go ahead and order it now so that it will be here by the time or shortly after the frame gets here. I couldn't find the information on the Nashbar website.

It's 68mm. At the very bottom of the nashbar product page (before the reviews) there's a "more info" link that gives you all that info...
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Produc...2_173397_-1___
  • 03-15-2010
    Solomon76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    It's 68mm. At the very bottom of the nashbar product page (before the reviews) there's a "more info" link that gives you all that info...
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Produc...2_173397_-1___

Got it! :thumbsup: I don't know how I overlooked that link when I placed my order.
  • 03-16-2010
    jrm
    Novatech Disc Hubs
    The novatec hubs are the road specific hubs? right. Are those 130mm or 135mm spaced hubs?
  • 03-16-2010
    CommuterBoy
    they are 130mm.... apparently they switched some things on this frame, including the rear spacing. Mine is spaced at 135 (it's a couple years old), which is nice when shopping for a disc-friendly weelset... with a 130 rear spacing you have to get pretty creative with the wheels, which Hydrogeek did nicely. I was able to just order a set of 29er wheels and call it good. Not so no mo'. I wish they'd switch this frame back to 135.
  • 03-16-2010
    hydrogeek
    Novatech Hubs
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jrm
    The novatec hubs are the road specific hubs? right. Are those 130mm or 135mm spaced hubs?

The Novatech Tech hub is more of a CX type hub. Looks and seems more heavy duty than a road hub but not as beefy as a MTB hub. The rear is 130mm. So far they seem to be constructed well with sealed bearings and o-ring seals out-board of the bearings. The freewheel buzzes like a Chris King, very loud angry bee sound, if you're into that.
  • 03-16-2010
    jrm
    Ahhh hhhaaaa
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrogeek
    The Novatech Tech hub is more of a CX type hub. Looks and seems more heavy duty than a road hub but not as beefy as a MTB hub. The rear is 130mm. So far they seem to be constructed well with sealed bearings and o-ring seals out-board of the bearings. The freewheel buzzes like a Chris King, very loud angry bee sound, if you're into that.

Good to know there's a shimano alternative out there. Im running ultegra now but like theidea of trying something different. Its also hard to beat the price of the Novatechs. Do you notice any bearing/freewheel drag at all?
  • 03-17-2010
    hydrogeek
    Not really
    No more than my Shimano hubs. The higher end Shimano hubs are likely better, but the LX hubs I have on my old bike seem to have more drag due to the design of the seals.