Finally did it! One car family now.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Finally did it! One car family now.

Just yesterday was bitter sweet. We sold our beloved Subaru Outback to trim down to one car (keeping our Subaru Forester ).

Sheila was an awesome car for us. I am sure the new owner is going to love her to death.

So, I work at home, and my wife works 2 miles from the house (she works super long/odd hours so she can't ride to work usually). She will usually take the car, and if I need it I can ride my bike up to get it.

However, I want to see just how "car free" I can go. I have a Surly Cross Check, so any advice you guys might have about outfitting it relatively inexpensively with some racks/paniers/etc to allow trips to the store/errands is greatly appreciated.

Also, any tips on how to secure the bike is also appreciated. I have been securing the frame to the bike rack at any stores I go to with one of these:
    Kryptonite KryptoLok Series-2 Mini-7 U-Lock at REI.com

Then securing the wheels and seat to the U-lock with one of these...
    OnGuard Doberman Cable with Padlock - 8mm at REI.com

I feel this will keep honest people honest, and I mainly use the bike for quick trips so it isn't unattended very long. HOWEVER, I know there has to be a better way, so any tips would be awesome.

Feels pretty good to have no car payment, half the insurance, and only one gas tank to fill up!!!!!

Short-Change-Hero
    Know the feeling. Wife and I did the same about two months ago and I have been riding ever since (except last two weeks with bad illness and bum ankle).

Bee great having to not worry about the second car for the time being. With your cross check you should have rack and fender eyelets so I would look at some inexpensive racks first and foremost (most like panniers but it depends on what you will be carrying) and then a decent set of fenders (if it is nasty or wet where you are riding.

Don't invest in a cable lock, invest in a good U-Lock as many will tell you that the cable locks are more of an inexperienced thief deterrent. The cable locks are much easier to cut or break than a U-Lock.

weirdo
    Good luck, PD!

Outfitting your CC should be simple enough. What do you feel like it lacks?
    Doh, the lock thing again! I use a Bell cable lock, which has been working for me. Anything above that, I haven`t tried and don`t know about.

mtbr member
    That's awesome. I'm sure you'll save tons of money by not having to pay for a second car (insurance, gas, licensing, repairs)....money you can use to upgrade your bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0