finally caved- Mtbr.com

Thread: finally caved

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

finally caved

been staring at those big apples for a while and finally bought them for my se stout shich i have commuted on the last few days. WOW these tires are awesome.i was averaging about 3 miles per hour faster. Im sure a lot of it has to due with the fact that the wind has died down this week but man do they just roll. Turned my SE stout into an urban commuter. I still prefer my san jose for most days but its been fun to change things up.

weirdo
    If not for a brainfart while placing my Amazon order last month, I`d be rolling on Apples too
    Maybe next month. What size, BigE?

mtbr member
    I've never really ridden slicks before, but just put some 2.35 BAs onto a 26er build. If I ride it for a few days, when I go back to my 29er which still has the winter studs I feel like I'm riding a tank.

Bedwards Of The West
    I've been on the fat BA's for two commuting years now... love them. I'm tempted to change up when I put everything over on the new frame I have coming, but I don't know if I'll be able to get away from the sweetness of the Big Apples.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    they were the 29 x 2.35 i think. I got them on amazon as well. if you order from them make sure you check the tread before putting them on your bike. The box they sent them in rubbed down a big divit into one of the tires. amazon replaced it in a day so that good. they are so big they dont really fit into the box very well.

mtbr member
    Commuterboy, you're running fairly narrow dropbars with you BA's, right? Do you find that the tires fight you when you steer?

I mentioned in another thread that when I built my new BA bike it had a narrow flat bar on it, and when I turned it felt like there was a gyroscope on the front of my bike that wanted to keep going in a straight line. Then I swapped to wider bars and don't notice it any more.

I'm guessing you don't know what I'm talking about?

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610 View Post
    they were the 29 x 2.35 i think. I got them on amazon as well. if you order from them make sure you check the tread before putting them on your bike. The box they sent them in rubbed down a big divit into one of the tires. amazon replaced it in a day so that good. they are so big they dont really fit into the box very well.
    The last tires I ordered from Amazon were Kenda 700x38's, and they came individually in MASSIVE boxes... like, you could put 4 of those standard issue six-foot folding tables in each box But one of the tires had a cut in the sidewall like someone hacked it with a razor knife. I didn't notice it and blew a massively loud explosive innertube out of the hole when I tried to air it up. Amazon replaced it in a day... but geesh, them and their packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Commuterboy, you're running fairly narrow dropbars with you BA's, right? Do you find that the tires fight you when you steer?

I mentioned in another thread that when I built my new BA bike it had a narrow flat bar on it, and when I turned it felt like there was a gyroscope on the front of my bike that wanted to keep going in a straight line. Then I swapped to wider bars and don't notice it any more.

I'm guessing you don't know what I'm talking about?
    I do notice a bit of a weird gyroscopic thing, but it's more like it wants to pull the bike into a tighter and tighter turn if I lean into a turn....almost like on a street bike (motorcycle) where you actually have to push a little bit in the opposite direction to maintain the line you want to maintain through a turn. I chalked it up to the tire's big, round profile... but I bet there's a lot going on there with frame geometry, fork angle, etc. And your comment about wider bars has me wondering. Bottom line...these big old tires are going to want to have a say about what's going on when you are turning
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    ^ I'm glad it's not just me. But the streetbike comparison is exactly what I thought when I first put them on - "Huh, I guess this is a bike that I'll have to counter-steer."

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    The last tires I ordered from Amazon were Kenda 700x38's, and they came individually in MASSIVE boxes... like, you could put 4 of those standard issue six-foot folding tables in each box
    That`s how they packaged mine, too! I placed the order when I was expecting delivery of a new bike at any time, and when I came home and saw the box at my door, I actually thought it was the bike. And my Amazon box only had two 20 x 2.0 Little Apples in it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I've been riding BAs for about 5 months now and love them. I also noticed lots of over steer, and solved this by playing with stem length and tyre pressure.

Enjoy.

Members who have read this thread: 0