Finally able to commute by bike!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Straz85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,348

    Finally able to commute by bike!

    After a couple years of wishing I was in a position to commute by bike, I finally am. I switched from working overnight and living ~20 miles from work (doable but pretty far at 11pm, especially on a combination of windy/narrow roads and through a pretty dangerous/ghetto area) to working 9-5:30 and living 6.5 miles from work.

    My first day on the new job was Wednesday, my first day commuting by bike was yesterday. Took me 23 minutes to work and 26 home, this morning it took me 25. It's a pretty busy route, so I'm very careful of cars, it's pretty obvious they're not used to bikes on the road during rush hour, I have already been cut off by cars not paying attention a couple times.

    I had built a commuter with spare parts I had, mountain bike stuff, but I've been taking my road bike with all my stuff in a backpack, it really doesn't bother me having the pack on, though I'd prefer a rack. I don't have rack mounts on the road bike so I'll use a rack that clamps to the seatpost.

    I do feel very disorganized bringing all my stuff with me everyday, I need to figure out a way to keep some stuff at work, maybe bring a few towels at the beginning of the week and leave a couple pairs of shoes. Stuffing all of that in a backpack every morning kind of sucks.

    That's all, just wanted to tell you all how I was excited to NOT be driving to work anymore

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,083
    Start looking for ways to avoid the harzardous places, or at least mitigate them....

    The optimum bike route is not likely the optimum car route.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Straz85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,348
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Start looking for ways to avoid the harzardous places, or at least mitigate them....

    The optimum bike route is not likely the optimum car route.
    I've been looking at google maps trying to figure out a better way, part of the problem is though, I don't know this area very well so far so looking at a map isn't all that helpful. I'm going to ride this weekend and see if I can find a better route and try that Monday. The issue is that I have to cross a pretty major road, 3 lanes in both directions, NOT bike friendly. There's 2 places I can cross over it on an overpass, as I see it, those are my only options. That limits my route options quite a bit.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    I've been looking at google maps trying to figure out a better way, part of the problem is though, I don't know this area very well so far so looking at a map isn't all that helpful. I'm going to ride this weekend and see if I can find a better route and try that Monday. The issue is that I have to cross a pretty major road, 3 lanes in both directions, NOT bike friendly. There's 2 places I can cross over it on an overpass, as I see it, those are my only options. That limits my route options quite a bit.
    Yup, going for a weekend ride is a good plan.....there will be all sorts of different short cuts etc...

    I will ride quite a ways out of my way to use an overpass.....Firstly I like riiding my bike....second I like the safety....and thirdly I often make my commute longer anyways.

  5. #5
    weirdo
    Reputation: rodar y rodar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,223
    Congrats, Straz! Hope your backpack doesn`t start bugging you too much before you get that clip on rack. Sounds like you`re dealing with it okay. So, did you get a new job or move to a new home?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Straz85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,348
    Sorry I haven't responded to this sooner, I haven't been on here much and frankly, I forgot I even posted this until now!

    I have ridden the same route 3 more days since I last posted, I've been getting more comfortable with it, though I still plan on taking that weekend ride and talking to a couple people from the area for ideas.

    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Congrats, Straz! Hope your backpack doesn`t start bugging you too much before you get that clip on rack. Sounds like you`re dealing with it okay. So, did you get a new job or move to a new home?
    So far the backpack has been okay, the only thing I don't like is it makes it a bit harder to see when I turn to see cars, I may end up getting a mirror. I switched both positions and buildings but work for the same company I always have, we also moved to a new townhouse.

    Anybody have a recommendation for a website that I can track my commuting miles, gas saved, etc?

    Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Finally did the full bike-commute to work
    By slide mon in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 01:46 PM
  2. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 07-12-2008, 05:16 PM
  3. Anyone bike commute PC to SLC?
    By suffer fest in forum Utah
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-28-2008, 04:28 PM
  4. my commute - in pictures (finally)
    By little b in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 06:28 AM
  5. my commute - in pictures (finally)
    By little b in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2005, 07:38 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.