A few commuter questions..- Mtbr.com
    Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008

A few commuter questions..

Pictured below is my full-rigid commuter. I now have filing-basket bungeed on the back of it, to hold groceries and stuff like that. I have a couple of questions, though, and need some advice.
    First, since it is full-rigid, when I have items in the basket, they bounce around a lot, depending on what kind of terrain I'm riding on. Do y'all have any ideas on ways to cushion the basket so I can carry either more fragile things or drinks home without them getting shaken up?
    Secondly, does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions on bags that I can use to keep hot foods hot after getting them from my favorite eating establishment and riding home in the snow?
    Thanks for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A few commuter questions..-7121_178136893335_502898335_3753326_7709686_n.jpg  

weirdo
    Ha! After seeing your bike on the other thread, I Googled around a little and found a blog entry describing another guy`s minor mods to his Coffee Bike. He mounted the whole board on rubber bushings to take some of edge off the smaller bumps. Probably helps a little. For the next step... the cushion from a patio chair in the bottom of the basket, maybe? For hot foods, I`d probably try one of those soft side insulated lunch boxes or just wrap it in an old towel. The towel thing is what I use to keep ice cream from starting to thaw on a 20 minute return from the supermarket.

BTW- that`s an awesome bike. You have more pics? With the huge amount of weight you could conceiveably haul on it (400# recomended max, wasn`t it?) are you thinking about a mini chainring any chance? If it were me, I`d probably be looking at ways to get down around a 20 inch granny and giving serious comtemplation to an intermediate drive. The price is incredible- how was the shipping fee? Was it an easy transaction?
    Recalculating....

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    A seat cushion, I guess that could work. I'm just tired of having drinks spray on me after I get them home. Ideally, I want something that would be able to hold like a drink from a combo meal at a fast food restaurant securly, but I'm guessing that would be a little much to ask. And I hadn't even thought about those soft lunch boxes. Anybody else have any other suggestions?

No-Brakes Cougar
    For cushioning, you could also try lower the air pressure in your tires, for a softer ride.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Bedwards Of The West
    Pizza delivery soft sided insulated carrier. I was just in New York and lots of the bike-delivery guys from pizza places have rectangle-shaped ones...and the pizza boxes are long rectangles instead of square. Looks like they would be about as wide as your cargo rack and maybe 18 or 24 inches long. No idea where to get one, but they are out there.

Also while in New York, I saw those 3 wheeled bike taxi guys everywhere. They have an incredibly low granny gear for hauling 400lbs of people around the city. You could look into what they are using for drivetrain if you wanted to go super-low gearing.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Also while in New York, I saw those 3 wheeled bike taxi guys everywhere. They have an incredibly low granny gear for hauling 400lbs of people around the city. You could look into what they are using for drivetrain if you wanted to go super-low gearing.
    That`s me who`s in pain from seeing his single chainring- I don`t think it bothers the OP at all! But now that I see Sizzler has a B.D., maybe we can talk him into putting an intermediate drive in there somehow, like on a long wheelbase `bent
    Recalculating....

Members who have read this thread: 0