Fenders / Mudguards- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Fenders / Mudguards

Winter is coming (I'm in Australia) and I'm commuting on my Niner SIR9. I would like mudguards but I'm struggling to find anything to suit. Any recommendations / experience?

The problem is that my 29er has no mounting points for anything so frivilous as mudguards. The clipon type (seatpost rear, expansion fitting up stearer tube front) should work tho and SKS do some nice ones. I expect to buy on the net from the US / UK - the 28" models aren't imported into Australia let alone the new 29" on the sks website. I would like to go for the new 29" versions but I can't find them on line.

I have 37mm tyres for commuting but would like to be able to go bigger even with the guards.

Double-metric mtb man
    For 29ers there isn't a lot out there yet. I run SKS ones and have the back flat to keep stuff from coming forward at my back. On the front, there are always the cheap downtube version that just ziptie on (they are a fairly robust but thin plastic that have a wide u-channel shape)
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have the disc brake style PlanetBike 60mm 26" fenders covering 37c tires. I had them already and got them to fit just fine. They are almost maxed out in position, but it works. A bigger tire would not clear. Planetbike does make some 29er specific fenders.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Cow, I make my own wooden, more for the Surly trends, but you may be able to find what you are looking for HERE I find my hardware there. The great thing is that if you have a part that breaks or need a small replacement part, they offer free shipping. Check it out, it's worth a try.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

anyone else smell that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    I have the disc brake style PlanetBike 60mm 26" fenders covering 37c tires. I had them already and got them to fit just fine. They are almost maxed out in position, but it works. A bigger tire would not clear. Planetbike does make some 29er specific fenders.
    https://ecom1.planetbike.com/7029.html

<table cellspacing="4"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="66%">Finally, Fenders For 29ers! </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" height="3">
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top"> </td> <td valign="top">
    • Superflex™ unbreakable all-weather polycarbonate
    • 130mm mudflaps provide ultimate coverage and are double-riveted for durability
    • Hardware is all stainless steel and pre-installed for hassle-free mounting
    • V-stays for added stability
    • Ultra wide 65mm width
    • Compatible with disc brakes
    • Fits tires up to 29"x2.3"
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

anyone else smell that?
    sorry about that screwy post. firefox 3 beta4 isn't very forum friendly, apparently. bah.

mtbr member
    I don't have a 29er but I have gone through numerous fenders. The ones that finally worked for me are ones called "Mud Machine" fenders. The model I use are actually designed for downhill bikes but I like them because they are super wide and I never get any spray with them. I've had them for about 8 years or so now, and I used to go through at least 2 per year with the Zefal and similar brands. Anyway, I would think they would work fine with 29" because they just attach via a star-nut @ the bottom of the steerer tube.

Down South Yooper

Planet Bike

I have the cascadia 29ers from Planet Bike and they're sweet. Clears the rear disc with the adapter, and you can probably use a clamp or something in place of the eyelet mounts.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

ADIDAB

New question here.

I'm in the same position as Cow, live in AU and gearing up for the winter commute. I also have a 29er - Soma Juice - and am looking for fenders...

I'm seriously looking at the Planet Bike Cascadia's but my problem is that I'm worried about fixing the front fender. The rear will go on fine because all the mounts are there on the Soma, but I have an On-One Carbon fork which has absolutely nothing to support the front.

Does anyone have any pics of their front fenders that are set up without the aid of braze-ons? I would love to see them to get some ideas - esp. if they are Cascadias!

FWIW, my wheel set-up for commuting is 700x35c Schwalbe Marathons on DT X470 rims. I also run XT discs.

I can't use ones that plug into the steerer tube as I use an Amoeba Headlock instead of the usual star-nut and top cap.

Thanks in advance!
    My LBS | Riding this and this

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Steve, if you go tot he Planet Bike website search under "small parts" You'll see a listing for fender parts. There are fender braces available that attach to the rail of your fork.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I have the setup you are talking about on my 29er. Cascadia 29er fender bolted on the rear and Cascadia 29er with Speedez stays on the front. I also have disc's front and rear. All you need to get is the front Speedez stay. They stay on just fine without bolting them to your fork (at the bottom of your steerer). I have ridden offroad with mine. Mind you it was pretty buff singletrack, put they stayed on just fine. They will make noise, if you do this...but it is nothing to worry about. It is just the fender slapping around.

I'll post pictures if I remember too.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well I took a chance on the SKS raceblade XLs. Not cheap by the time they were shipped from the states. And they don't really work. I'm not saying this to slag them off because in fairness they aren't really intended for an MTB. But in case anyone else was thinking then I'd say be careful

The problems for me were that at the front and rear on the left side the brake line attachment points are where I need to attach the mountings for the mudguard and there is a dog leg in the SIR9 seat stays right were the rear needs to mount.

Overall they are not really wide enough even for a hybrid tyre (fair enough they only claim to suit up to 35mm) and the attachment isn't very secure so there is some movement and it was a pain having to stop and sort out rubbing when I came over a kerb. The front works better than the rear but it is too short. Water gets thrown forward and up beyond the front mudguard and you ride into it as it hangs in the air. I tried swoping the longer rear guard into the front mountings but it didn't really work.

Have given up with the raceblades if anyone wants them let me know. They should work not too bad on a road bike.

Just have a one size fits all 'whale tail' clip on at the back and it keeps the worst off. TrekJeff I'm thinking of making something for the front with fiberglass, maybe making a wooden mould.

ADIDAB
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    I have the setup you are talking about on my 29er. Cascadia 29er fender bolted on the rear and Cascadia 29er with Speedez stays on the front. I also have disc's front and rear. All you need to get is the front Speedez stay. They stay on just fine without bolting them to your fork (at the bottom of your steerer). I have ridden offroad with mine. Mind you it was pretty buff singletrack, put they stayed on just fine. They will make noise, if you do this...but it is nothing to worry about. It is just the fender slapping around.

I'll post pictures if I remember too.
    Visicypher - would love to see some pics if you have them of your set-up, just so I can get an idea of what it looks like.

Am also thinking of some Soma Euro Fenders in hybrid size (45mm) that might be ok, but again, it's the securing it to the front fork that's my issue...
    My LBS | Riding this and this

Members who have read this thread: 0