Fenders for CX bike? Other rain gear?- Mtbr.com
    V-Shaped Rut

Fenders for CX bike? Other rain gear?

Hey all, I plan on doing some rain riding/commuting including road, gravel and even a little bit of urban singletrack.

I plan on doing this on a CX bike. I've never had a bike with fenders since I'm from a winter snow area and we just trade bikes for snowboards. However I've moved to the Seattle area an need to adjust.

The bike has fender mounts so I could do a bolt on. The clamp on/clip on versions look like less coverage but easier to put on and take off. So, what's the advice there? Any specific brands/models to look at?

While we're on the subject of wet weather riding, what kind of gear should I get? Obviously a rain jacket and pants. But how to protect your shoes? Leather + rain=bad.

Carrying clothing and a laptop to work, advice on waterproof packs? I have rack mounts on the CX bike as well and could do that, but maybe a backpack is a better idea give the gravel and singletrack on the way in?

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Fellow Seattle rider and year-round commuter here.

Your going to need your fenders all the way through about June, so you may as well leave them on. I run Planet Bike Cascadia fenders. I've heard good things about the equivalent SKS fenders as well.

If your CX frame has the option for disc brakes, get 'em, you'll be much happier. Not only will your wet stopping ability improve, but our wet, gritty winter roads are pretty hard on rims if you have rim brakes. I've a colleague who runs rim brakes and chews through a set of rims every year.

I gave up on rain pants years ago. I could never find a good combination of fit and breath-ability. I ride in Pearl Izumi Elite tights. Sure your legs will get wet, but you'll be comfortable (it rarely goes below freezing here in the winter) and they dry fast.

I use Showers Pass Club shoe covers in the winter and they work well.

I don't like backpacks, but that's personal preference. I've got a tubus rack and use an Ortlieb pannier to carry my gear. Unless you are going to ride some seriously rough singletrack a pannier should be fine.

Where do you live and where will you be commuting to?

V-Shaped Rut
    I've got discs, that was a must for all the reasons you listed.

Do you just put your wet pants back on after work and ride home?

I'm on the very eastern side of Bellevue in lake hills and ride into downtown bvue (The heart of yuppiedom) mostly on the multi use gravel trails and through the trails behind kelsey creek farm and williburton park.

It's like 6 miles, so not a long haul by any stretch of the imagination, and I don't go into the office that often. After I'm done with the project I'm on now I'll probably go in once a week though.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I hang the pants and let them dry. Most of the rain we get is not that heavy so they are usually dry but yeah I occasionally put them on wet.

Cool commute. I used to work in downtown Bellevue. I work in the U-District now, commute there everyday from Woodinville primarily on the Burke Gillman.

One of the cool things about living here is you don't have to trade bike for snoboard in the winter. In fact you can board in the morning and bike in the afternoon if you want. You just have to be OK with riding in the rain.

V-Shaped Rut
    Yeah, I rode last year a lot at duthie and grand ridge last winter but only when it didn't rain for a few days. This winter I just want to say screw it and ride whenever.

I still haven't adjusted to not having a ski resort 5 minutes away, 40 minutes to alpental which isn't much of a hill, but now that my kids are a little older and more manageable the drive to crystal or stevens might not be such a burden on my other half.

Moderator Moderator
    if the ride is at all rough, I would rather have that laptop in a backpack, which I prefer anyhow. I use an Osprey, which is not waterproof, but comes with a rain cover that works well. Quick drying baggies over your chamois shorts/knickers/tights is another option for the rain, keeping you and the underlayer a bit drier and warmer, yet drying out quickly.

I have Planet Bike fenders on the CX also, and have been happy with them, not sure what model, the ones with mudflaps. For rain jackets, I'm happy with my 2nd Showers Pass jacket, the Double Century. The first one I got was way too warm and could really only be used in freezing rain.