Fenders- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fenders

Short-Change-Hero

Fenders

So last night I picked up a set of Blackburn Cloudburst Full Coverage Fenders from my LBS to fit to my Jake. Realize that I grabbed the 700x35mm and they will not take my 32c Vittoria XGs so swapped back the 28c Gatorskins.

So here is the weird thing, while it says that the fenders would fit a max of 28c tires they rubbed like crazy. On top of that the eyelet arms seemed like they were WAAAAY to long as they pushed the fender way out.

Has anyone had this type of problem? I am going to take them back today for the 45mm but worried that those may not fit under my TRP CX8.4s.

Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures and will try again tonight if I get time to return the 35mm ones.

Bedwards Of The West
    Every set I've had required some fiddling. I'm not seeing how they're too small if if the supports seemed waaaaay too long....? If you have that much adjustment then you can get them to work. Once you find a happy place, cut off the excess support arm length.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok so you do end up having to cut off the excess arm length. Was weird because I let out the arms from their attachments and tried to see if it would work but the front of the tire rubbed up at the seat tube. They are vertical drops and I had it all the way up in adjustment. hmmm maybe I will give it another shot tonight, didnt realize that you had cut the arms though.

Bedwards Of The West
    The only ones I've HAD to cut were ones where I used the disc brake mount to mount the fender, so it required a shorter support. I have a couple sets of Planet Bike fenders, and the other supports could be cut down, but are liveable without being cut. The ones I mounted at the disc brake mount NEEDED to be cut though..they were sticking way up above the fender.

Short-Change-Hero
    If I get time I will try again with them tonight and post some pics. I have a dremel so cutting wont be an issue..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Once you find a happy place, cut off the excess support arm length.
    Excellent. I'm getting some toe-overlap with my new fenders, and the extra 1" on the lower support is part of the problem. I'd considered chopping it off, but was apparently just waiting for someone to tell me that was ok.

Bedwards Of The West
    I hereby declare it OK.

And here's a FREE pro-tip:
    You can remove the rubber caps...and if you cut with a dremel, stick them on while the metal is still hot after you cut...it sort of melts the plastic and sticks them in place.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I hereby declare it OK.

And here's a FREE pro-tip:
    You can remove the rubber caps...and if you cut with a dremel, stick them on while the metal is still hot after you cut...it sort of melts the plastic and sticks them in place.
    Unfortunately they do not have plastic end caps that sit on like that... They have this cap they go into then a threaded housing that you screw over the arm and the area the "cap" area that cinches down. You can somewhat see it in this picture.

Bedwards Of The West
    Huh. That seems harder to adjust than the Planet Bike Ones. can you get away with cutting the metal strut? It's not threaded on the end, right?

Short-Change-Hero
    No the metal arm/strut is not threaded so I can get away with cutting it. That is what I was thinking originally but the instructions (really just a picture) dont show anything about cutting them.

weirdo
    Stating the obvious here, but don`t cut the struts if you want to swap for the bigger size!

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    I am going to take them back today for the 45mm but worried that those may not fit under my TRP CX8.4s.
    What are those? Tires? Your fork? If it`s your fork, you might need to trip a little plastic with a dremel or a pair of wire cutters.

Yeah, the break-away thingy being on top rather than at the bottom is kind of different. Looks like more trouble to set up, but when you get it, you won`t have that big bulky hunk of plastic getting in the way of your QR lever or any other stuff you might have bolted on at your dropouts. I`ve been tempted to get new front stays for mine and just bend a loop in the lower end of the strut, ditching the break away part just for that reason.

Sideline: How`s biking life treating you out there, Greg? You went completely car free?

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah I am already running 28c Gatorskins so I am happy with keeping the fenders to fit those. When summer comes and I want to throw on the Vittorias then I will dump the fenders with them. I have to say that these definitely were a PITA to get on and everything. I did end up taking the 700x35mm back to my LBS and he swapped them with the 700x45mm. Those definitely fit better but the whole cutting of the suspension arms and then checking, and then cutting a little more off was stupid. Then the bolt that is used to mount the front fender is SUPER long and they supply a locking nylon nut, which I inadvertently found out will only go down 3/4 of the way before it finally locks. So I am going to have to take the front apart again another night to cut that bolt since there is a ton of slop now and it rattles like crazy whenever I go over anything rough. But after about an hour of messing with it they are on, not rubbing and seem good to go, tomorrows commute will tell the truth though.

Took this on the way home today as there is a really cool old brick building that I have been meaning to do this with.

Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

Rodar - yes I am completely carless now! Sold the Pathfinder to a friend that needed a car and put some of that money towards the Jake. On super cold mornings (like last week) or when I dont feel like arguing with my wife, she drives me in and then I ride home. Just wish the damn wind would let up as I really want/need to get a good long ride in. Best I have been able to do is 12 miles around town on my lunch break with my normal riding buddy. However, she needs to log some serious miles as she is doing the Seattle to Portland ride in July, think this week we were supposed to do like 150 miles, yeah.. we will be right on that one!

Oh and wasn't sure what you were referring to in your "what are those" question. But if you are asking about the TRP CX8.4s they are linear pull mini-v brakes. With the STI levers they are a beaut to work while riding, can slow myself done easily or if need grab the brakes and lock the rear up.

weirdo
    Brakes, gotcha. yeah, that`s what I was talking about.

Hey, congrats on your car free efforts! It`s gotta be extra tough in a place with so little public transportation. Speaking of, have you ever used that Reno-Carson Citifare route? I`ve done a little bit of riding down your way, and there`s a lot more I`d like to do. Since Carson is like 3 hours each way by bike, I was considering riding down and playing around, then hopping the bus home. (Riding Eastlake sucks, anyway) RTC`s website says they have a three-bike rack on each of the busses for that route.

Short-Change-Hero
    I haven't actually ridden on the bus yet as we still have the wife's car and with us both working in town there is no need for the bus. I do see that the buses have a 3 bike rack attached to the front of the buses so if you did take it down you would have somewhere to take the bus. There are quite a few stops in Carson and if you planned on riding something like Franktown you could have it drop you off at WNC and ride over Coombs Canyon. My brother, a big road rider, tells me that Franktown loop is quite fun and very nice.

I do have to say that there is quite a bit of public transportation between RTC and JAC (Jump Around Carson) but again I have not had to use it. If you do end up heading this way for a ride, be it mountain or road, let me know and I will see about meeting up with you.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    If you do end up heading this way for a ride, be it mountain or road, let me know and I will see about meeting up with you.

I`ll be out that way again, most likely within a month. I`ll PM next time and see if our schedules coincide.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Seriously I gave up on fenders 6 years ago....just after my first winter....they broke plugged jammed, and basically were a pain.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post

I`ll be out that way again, most likely within a month. I`ll PM next time and see if our schedules coincide.
    Sounds good.. Might bring my riding buddy along to if she is free. But you will have to go easy on my, riding road is very different for me then riding my mtn bike. Feels weird because my big ring on my 29er is almost the same as my small ring on the Kona.

Yeah I am going to try the fenders out for a while and if they become more of a hassle then they are worth I will dump them and just start carrying a weeks worth of clothes to work and leave them there..

Short-Change-Hero
    And now with fenders!

Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

Got a chance to take her for a spin around the block after cutting off the bolt with the dremel. GD that thing was a PITA to get to without hitting anything else with the cutt-off disc but it took a bit and I got it off. The solution, ZIP-TIES!!! Used two black zip-ties in a somewhat cross fashion and the fender is held on nice and tight but just loose enough that if I push I can slide it up the adjust a little and give myself a bit more room! And, to boot, I think I have given myself enough room to run my Vittorias with the fenders (that will be tested at a later time).

Think this will be it for her for a bit, next upgrade will probably be new bar tape and move to some On-One Midge bars. (if anyone has a cheap used set, color doesnt really matter, in 31.8mm I would be interested in grabbing them).
    Last edited by gregnash; 03-29-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Bedwards Of The West
    Very cool, glad it worked. Do yourself a favor and carry a couple of spare zip ties. they can snap, and then you are up a creek if you're half way to work and the fender is acting like a brake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Last edited by nubber; 04-09-2012 at 10:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cloudburst adjustability

Can anyone confirm if the Blackburn Cloudburst Fender stays can be adjusted (trimmed) to the required length...or do you have to use as supplied?

I like the way there is only a single set of stays on the front, looks like it won't foul my disc caliper, but I'm looking for something adjustable to get a nice fender line like the SKS type.

Members who have read this thread: 0