Fenders- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fenders

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Fenders

I have a 2009 Giant Sedona and I need fenders for this winter. I am looking at the planet bike fenders is there a better choice in this price range or maybe a little higher? Function over form though it would be nice if they looked good to

Bedwards Of The West
    I have the planet bike freddy fenders, and they work really well. No complaints from me. This is my 4th winter with the same set. I just put them on last night, and rode to work in the rain this morning. I had a pair of the 'beaver tail' fenders from REI on an old MTB, and they worked well... they won't fit on my current commuter, which is why I got the planet bike ones.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

No-Brakes Cougar
    +1 for Planet Bike fenders. I have 60MM Hardcore fenders on my MTB commuter. Light weight and tough, you really can't go wrong with these. They also include mud flaps.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

I dream on two wheels
    I just put on some beaver tails. Work well so far and cheap. $16 at REI for the pair.

-Simon
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I put on some SKS P45 fenders at the beginning of the summer. The install was a pain and the directions poor, but the fenders work well and look nice. I had an unfortunate incident involving a skinny tire and a bridge built with the slats going parallel to the road and the fenders didn't budge.

Bedwards Of The West
    Thought I'd add that I have disc brakes, and it's no problem to bend one of the supports for the PB fenders so you don't mess with the caliper.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    locally I was only able to find the PB flipper for the back and will have to find the front on line. But at least there will be no spray up the back

mtbr member
    May 2008
    SKS are the best, had some planet bike and bontragers before I figured it out. They do take a little while to get installed especially if you have disks to work around.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I've only had pb full fenders. They work fine and are half the price of some of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Thought I'd add that I have disc brakes, and it's no problem to bend one of the supports for the PB fenders so you don't mess with the caliper.
    Rather than bending a support, you can always get a longer eyelet bolt and a spacer.

No, that's not phonetic
    We have had a couple of sets of the PB Freddy fenders (60mm) on our 26" weel commuters for many years now. They do the job nicely. You need to add an extra long flap to the bottom of the front fender to keep the spray off your drivetrain and feet, but otherwise they are durable and don't sway around.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    SKS..without a doubt.

mtbr member
    where can i those those short rear "mudflaps" or "fenders" dunno what they're called, i dont want them too long, kind of like this one: https://s3.amazonaws.com/satisfactio...pic1265673.jpg
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If your not too worried about looks, you can use a Minute Maid plastic orange juice container..the sides are almost the perfect shape of a fender skirt...I made one for my commuter styled after a Surly skirt, will send a pic if you'd like...very easy to make.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I did get the flipper for the back. Was going to get the PB set but there is no eyelet on the front for the Sedona. Now I need to get a front fender that is of the snap on persuasion l

Members who have read this thread: 0