Fender question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fender question

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Fender question

I'm about to pull the trigger on my first mountain bike, a rigid 29er, and I want to get a set of fenders for it. I plan on using the bike for urban bike paths as well as dirt roads and easy single track, (switching tires), and would like a set of fenders I can easily put on or take off as situations warrant. It seemed like the commuting forum would be the best place to ask such a question. I tried a search and didn't find much. Thanks in advance.

Moderator Moderator
    I bought the SKS Grand D.A.D. and M.O.M. fenders for my fatbike, but stole them for my 26'r before the fatbike got here and had to buy a second set. They are wider than most so they block more spray than most easy on/off fenders. Beefy, so not for the overly weight conscious. The fatbike's tires are similar diameter to a 29'r, so they should work well there too. The front fender's quick release could be a little easier to operate (I use a flat screwdriver instead of my fingernails), but it is effective.

scroll down this page:
    mudguards - SKS Germany

Fat-tired Roadie
    SKS on my mountain bike too. IMO, more secure than other removable MTB-style fenders. I don't think there's a raceblade-style fender big enough for mountain bikes, but if you're only going to use small tires for commuting, something like the SKS Raceblade or Planet Bike SpeedEZ might be better. I have the Planet Bike fenders on my nicer road bike, and while not as good as a permanent fender, they're better than MTB-style fenders.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0