Fender Mounting made easier- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Fender Mounting made easier

There are those of us with rides that don't have all the necessary mounts for fenders. Axiom has a few things that some might be interested in if they want full coverage fenders. They are a bit of coin, but don't require any welding and give more options for fenders.

Full Coverage Fenders - Fenders - Products - Axiom Performance Gear

Disc Runner - Full Coverage Fenders - Fenders - Products - Axiom Performance Gear

Axle Runner - Full Coverage Fenders - Fenders - Products - Axiom Performance Gear

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    This is really clever stuff. Which ones have you tried so far?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I haven't tried any yet. I was just putting this out here for those who want full fenders but lack the braze ons to do so. We can all put on clip on fenders, but full coverage fenders not so much. Having said that, a hands on person might be able to DIY something for cheaper

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    For all those tall rigid forks;

Problem Solvers

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That's great. I think btw all these devices anyone can have full fenders

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thank you for posting that big papa!! Couldn't have been better timing. Just switched to a salsa fargo fork and that is exactly what I need.

Bedwards Of The West
    I have made my own "fender flute", using a star fangled nun...I mean nut, inserted up into the fork from the bottom, and then just a long bolt... that's a cool product. HOWEVER, I have run into something with my Ogre (exactly like the one in the picture on the Problem Solver's website).
    I have recently gotten a Yakima Hold-up 2 bike rack for the car. The rack literature says that it is "Not Fender Compatible" because the tire clamp has to go right there where the front fender is in the way of letting it clamp down on the tire.

I have found that if I mount the fender in the "too high" position, way up at the crown of the fork, I can use the rack normally, by sliding the clamp part of the rack between the tire and the fender. For me, this is worth it. I made a Gorilla Tape mud flap on the front of the fender that is long enough to just almost touch the tire, and it functions really well, so the front of the high fender doesn't launch all that water out in front of you for you to ride through. The mud flap folds up to let the rack clamp slide between the tire and fender when loading the bike onto the rack.

If I didn't have the rack issue, I'd be all over the Fender Flute.... but just wanted to throw out my work-around. The Gorilla Tape mudflap is a winner!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I was originally going to try to mount my front fender with a something like a flute and an L bracket, but I ended up using two hose clamps instead.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I have made my own "fender flute", using a star fangled nun...I mean nut, inserted up into the fork from the bottom, and then just a long bolt... that's a cool product. HOWEVER, I have run into something with my Ogre (exactly like the one in the picture on the Problem Solver's website).
    I have recently gotten a Yakima Hold-up 2 bike rack for the car. The rack literature says that it is "Not Fender Compatible" because the tire clamp has to go right there where the front fender is in the way of letting it clamp down on the tire.

I have found that if I mount the fender in the "too high" position, way up at the crown of the fork, I can use the rack normally, by sliding the clamp part of the rack between the tire and the fender. For me, this is worth it. I made a Gorilla Tape mud flap on the front of the fender that is long enough to just almost touch the tire, and it functions really well, so the front of the high fender doesn't launch all that water out in front of you for you to ride through. The mud flap folds up to let the rack clamp slide between the tire and fender when loading the bike onto the rack.

If I didn't have the rack issue, I'd be all over the Fender Flute.... but just wanted to throw out my work-around. The Gorilla Tape mudflap is a winner!
    I'll have to try the gorilla tape mud flap idea, I have great fender coverage but the front tire sprays at 45 degree angles and soaks my shoes when pedaling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post

Very nice. The LBS guys were working on the same star nut concept for my clip on fender, with some modifications to the original mounting hardware. When that didn't quite work out, I turned a wooden dowel to match the inside of the steerer tube and ran the bolt through it to the star nut. Cutting the wooden tube to length let me set the height where I wanted it, then I bolted straight through the fender without the clip on business.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    That fender flute worked great. I had to mount it 180* and use a spacer to keep the fender out of my toes while turning and peddling.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by snailspace View Post
    There are those of us with rides that don't have all the necessary mounts for fenders. Axiom has a few things that some might be interested in if they want full coverage fenders. They are a bit of coin, but don't require any welding and give more options for fenders.

Full Coverage Fenders - Fenders - Products - Axiom Performance Gear

Disc Runner - Full Coverage Fenders - Fenders - Products - Axiom Performance Gear

Axle Runner - Full Coverage Fenders - Fenders - Products - Axiom Performance Gear
    I just put on the Axiom RainRunners yesterday, they are thoughtfully designed. My cyclocross bike's fork has eyelets, but the rear has no eyelets, no brake-bridge hole, etc., etc., and still these mounted cleanly, with the 2 stays attaching to the quick release skewer with their nifty red tabs (axlerunners). Rode it today and no rattles, but the thunderstorms did not materialize, so I have not actually used them in the wet yet. The reflective strip on both sides is nice too. They are more expensive than some, but then my last full coverage rear fender (Planet Bike)broke at the forward mount, so we'll see how the longevity compares. ModernBike shipped them for free.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Please post pics of your hard work. I hope they last too. If not their is a lifetime warranty.

Moderator Moderator
    Before - note unsightly attachment to bike...
    Fender Mounting made easier-p1060887-1280x960-.jpg

Fender Mounting made easier-p1060892-1280x960-.jpg

After

Fender Mounting made easier-p1060900-1280x960-.jpg

Fender Mounting made easier-p1060899-1280x960-.jpg

Attachment 1001925

Fender Mounting made easier-p1060897-1280x960-.jpg

Fender Mounting made easier-p1060896-1280x960-.jpg

Fender Mounting made easier-p1060895-1280x960-.jpg

Fender Mounting made easier-p1060893-1280x960-.jpg

Bonus

Fender Mounting made easier-keep-1280x960-.jpg

Mistake I'm having trouble deleting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fender Mounting made easier-p1060889-1280x960-.jpg  

since 4/10/2009
    Those are slick

mtbr member
    Problem Solvers Company will be jealous that they did not come up with that idea

At least it shouldn't be so difficult to make something similar to the Axle Runners, I guess?